British Speedway Forum

This is bugging me now, probably unreasonably, but the SGP website is very quick to give us news on the Dudek failed drug test but Darcy Wards failed alcohol test is still not newsworthy???

The Jury will probably drag their Decision out to November - and then give him a Three Month Ban so that he can be back at the start of next Season. Because of the delay in their Decision he will be able to Ride for the rest of this Season, especially in GPs.

That's the time to Ban someone from Speedway - when there is no Speedway.

OR - maybe I'm just a cynic.

• Like 1

To be honest though, as much as it is galling to admit, but I expect Darcy to be dealt with leniently.

There is no question he is box office and for the GP to be without Emil and Darcy next season would be a bit of a disaster.

If they want him in next year it means they can't ban him for the rest of this year, be a bit of a farce to do that then hand him a wild card.

I suspect a monetary penalty and a token arrangement where he is subject to routine breath tests at each match he rides in.

Before anyone jumps down my throat that isn't what I would suggest, I would throw the book at him, but it is second guessing what may happen

• Like 1

To be honest though, as much as it is galling to admit, but I expect Darcy to be dealt with leniently.

There is no question he is box office and for the GP to be without Emil and Darcy next season would be a bit of a disaster.

If they want him in next year it means they can't ban him for the rest of this year, be a bit of a farce to do that then hand him a wild card.

I suspect a monetary penalty and a token arrangement where he is subject to routine breath tests at each match he rides in.

Before anyone jumps down my throat that isn't what I would suggest, I would throw the book at him, but it is second guessing what may happen

I agree. I hope he'll get the book thrown at him but I have a feeling that he will get off relatively lightly.

I agree. I hope he'll get the book thrown at him but I have a feeling that he will get off relatively lightly.

But, how heavy will the book be?

Will it be a paperback or a hardback?

If it was the BSPA or BSI handing out the punishment, then yes, I'd expect Ward to be dealt with leniently too. But this is the FIM, speedway is really small fry to them but they'll treat Ward no differently to any other motorcylist who failed their anti-doping regulations.

He'll be well represented (probably by Monster who have also been mighty quiet on the situation regarding one of their high profile sponsored riders) so may stand a better chance than others, but the FIM will hand out the punishment they deem to be appropriate without the influence of any outside factors. I can't see breathalising before each meeting he rides in being on of them though, not their style.

It's not a surprise he's still allowed to race either. A similar thing happened with an American motocross rider earlier this year. Failed a drug test in April but FIM didn't suspend him until June. I don't think any decision on punishment has been taken with that case yet.

• Like 1

Should be banned like other riders have whilst waiting to hear. It's a sham

As he rides on an Australian licence isn't it up to MA to ban him pending an FIM hearing?

Slightly off topic. I've just come back from watching the Battle of Britain flight and the Canadian Lancaster display at Marham and it crossed my mind that the crews that flew in the Battle of Britiain were the same age as Darcy Ward. Makes you think doesn't it?

• Like 2

Yes It seems to that this is another one he will slide out of. Await with interest his next transgression and the "mitigating" circumstances for its reason.

This incident had had massive publicity, not least on the TV Sunday, Whatever happened to the "Bringing into dispute" charge?

Speedway has suffered already from all the exposure this has had.

• Like 1

But, how heavy will the book be?

Will it be a paperback or a hardback?

it will be neither,maybe a school exercise book if the punishment is harsh!!

I have every sympathy for Ward, if the news about his parents splitting up are true, being so far away from home when something like this happens must be upsetting. But to the best of my knowledge nobody has found the answers to any problems at the bottom of a beer bottle, so if Ward took to drink to find his solace then he was looking in the wrong place and if the FIM do the right thing he will pay a heavy price for his actions.

If we are all guessing what kind of punishment we should see, IMO Ward should be banned for the rest of this GP series and from his various league teams, and have no wild card for next season, but he should be free to do the qualifiers for the 2016 series and come back to league racing from the start of next season.

As he rides on an Australian licence isn't it up to MA to ban him pending an FIM hearing?

Slightly off topic. I've just come back from watching the Battle of Britain flight and the Canadian Lancaster display at Marham and it crossed my mind that the crews that flew in the Battle of Britiain were the same age as Darcy Ward. Makes you think doesn't it?

Back in the 60's I worked with a man who was ground crew at Biggin hill in the Battle of Britain, he always said it was a good job pilots were not Breathalised as very few would pass,

Back in the 60's I worked with a man who was ground crew at Biggin hill in the Battle of Britain, he always said it was a good job pilots were not Breathalised as very few would pass,

I'm not disputing that but they were different times. I was just pointing out what those brave lads did at the same age as Darcy. Probably shouldn't have made that comment but the sight of those planes made me very very proud and somewhat emotional.

• Like 1

If we are all guessing what kind of punishment we should see, IMO Ward should be banned for the rest of this GP series and from his various league teams, and have no wild card for next season, but he should be free to do the qualifiers for the 2016 series and come back to league racing from the start of next season.

I would settle for that screm. A lot less then I was stating some many posts back, but yours is perhaps more realistic even though I wont hold my breath.

And those lads drank a lot and I am sure that more than a few would have failed a breath test to get into their planes.

But those lads had both courage and character whilst Darcy is a bell end.

My uncle was one of those young lads but did not make it through to celebrate the end of it and even though I never met him he was 1000 times the man Darcy Ward will ever be :)

• Like 1