British Speedway Forum
SCB

Lakeside Vs Poole 1st Sept (sky Meeting)

This sport was once called SPEEDWAY, Now it's just called 'TAKE THE PISS OUT OF THE FANS'

Diabolical demonstration of inept decision making. Everything that is wrong with our sport, was on show last night...

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 3

you only have to look at the number of meetings now that end due to curfew or abandoned after Ht 10 to realise the fans mean sod all to Speedway Promoters .I keep saying it and will say it again if this was an individual meeting with money at stake for the riders they would have finished the meeting whether there was "racing" or "just going round".

• Like 1

Lakeside got the points far enough i have no problem with that that's the rules now,but what i do have a problem with is Sky almost insisting they carry on.

I don't think SKY have say anything. They don't have to. Speedway needs the money. All they do is be there and that's enough to persuade the weaker parties to cave in. And by that I mean promoters managers referees and coordiators - call them what you like. Just listen to the questions put to the riders and managers. All they need is a nod of agreement and little more.

• Like 1

it seems to me that the underling factor here is sky, we dont seem to get this happening at other meeetings its obvious if they werent there it would have been called once the the deluge had happened, managers/promoters from any club are going to want it to go their way when asked in front of the cameras, thats obvious, but if the cameras were not there the ref would have come down to speak with the managers and captains and a decision made jointly. as we have seen at BV last year and at swindon this year as with last night it seems with sky involved, we have a meeting coordinator who doesnt appear to do much other than relay what sky tells him to the ref, (why do we need one just for tv) is when the 10 heats come into play.

• Like 2

After all the mickey taking last night, and boy did I enjoy seeing Karma giving Dorset a visit :approve:

A serious question - has Sky's involvement honestly been good for speedway?

Crowds have gone down.

Rules have been changed to suit them.

Too many outside influences affecting decisions.

TV audiences see empty terraces

Former regulars now get their fix from TV (hold my hands up to that one)

Debacles like last night are shown to the world - would you go as a newbie after seeing that on TV.

Just asking.

It should have been but The BSPA didn't use what they have. It's terrible for the sport now as people can see on TV what a complete mess it is. It actually promotes how crap it is - not the intended vision. Saturdays GP, that's how it's done.

Was one individual; or promotion so influential though ? Think it through. Do you really think Sky are going to show their guys putting their spoke in ? They made the mistake last year of the mics picking up Ronnir Russl telling Micky Dyer not to fall off but generally to cameras don't show what Sky are doing.

Don't be daft Mick Bates made the decision. Once the decisions made the meeting is off.

But Mick Bates was influenced by Davey Watt who was seen to be angrily remonstrating with him. One thing though , Middlo said it was up to Lakeside when it was to be called off. Is this correct?

I couldn't have put it better myself

Completely agree. I stopped going after it was obvious that with double headers at the EoES for the next three weeks and no chance of running thirty heats before the curfew, they were going to run the second match upto heat ten and that's what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to run both matches up to heat ten, but rules!! wouldn't allow it

But Mick Bates was influenced by Davey Watt who was seen to be angrily remonstrating with him. One thing though , Middlo said it was up to Lakeside when it was to be called off. Is this correct?

From what I can make out it's the team who are leading after heat 10 who have the option to call it off, which IMO isn't right or fair. It should be in consultation with both teams but at the discretion of the ref.

All 4 riders were up at tapes last night ready to start heat 11. It was Davey Watt whinging that but a stop to the meeting, but that was to be expected, he doesn't do wet tracks!

Having just watched the meeting on it is clear that Middlo's number one concern is rider safety, the problem is that he isn't forceful enough in making the point.

We saw it last season at Belle Vue and last night was pretty much the same.

Maybe it's the slightly apologetic way he suggests that rider safety is the most important consideration, it's almost as though he is embarrassed to say it. The result is last season riders lives were put a risk and the same last night.

Come on Middlo, MAN UP!

Which is fine, rider safety is paramount. But it's also so hypocritical when you look back at the events at BV last year.

After all the mickey taking last night, and boy did I enjoy seeing Karma giving Dorset a visit :approve:

A serious question - has Sky's involvement honestly been good for speedway?

Crowds have gone down.

Rules have been changed to suit them.

Too many outside influences affecting decisions.

TV audiences see empty terraces

Former regulars now get their fix from TV (hold my hands up to that one)

Debacles like last night are shown to the world - would you go as a newbie after seeing that on TV.

Just asking.

100% correct, m'am!

Perhaps he realised belle vue shouldnt have happened either but if that is the case he should say so

Absolutely. However the fact he is whining about the call off suggests he is the huge hypocrite that he is coming across as.

You know what annoys me about last night.............the fact that you guys are going on about Poole setting a precedent at Belle Vue and Lakeside playing Poole at their own game but there is a big difference

There is NO difference. And the precedent WAS set. It still stinks that promotions do it. But lets remember who set the ball rolling.

And no it isn't anti Poole, the facts show different.

I believe it is correct - but not because Lakeside were leading at the time, its because Lakeside are the HOME team!!

Its why BV had the call last year (Captain,Magnus Zetterstrom!) and why Coventry wanted to carry on and Swindon didn't 2 weeks ago!!

Ultimately its up to the referee when a meeting is called off. The referee is supposed to consult the team captains. Where was the Poole captain when all this was going on.? He had been out before Watts race..

I believe it is correct - but not because Lakeside were leading at the time, its because Lakeside are the HOME team!!

Its why BV had the call last year (Captain,Magnus Zetterstrom!) and why Coventry wanted to carry on and Swindon didn't 2 weeks ago!!

No, Belle Vue didn't want to even start that meeting.

Start of the season meetings rained off for rider safety, end of the season.....oh carry on we need to complete the fixture.

Haven't seen any "action" from this meeting, but by all accounts its yet another example of British Speedway grabbing a great big gun and proceeding to blast its own foot off. And better still, let's do it on live TV.

No. The rule is after heat 10 the winning team can get it called off (technically, they can ask for a track inspection).

Just need referees to grow a pair!