British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Panthers89

Panthers Vs Plymouth..... 2/9/14

the Enthusiasm on this thread sadly sums up Panthers season...

what was the attendance like last night?

Grandstand looked about 1/3 full with a few people dotted about the rest of the ground. Pity really as the Scunny match was a belter.

• Like 1

Grandstand looked about 1/3 full with a few people dotted about the rest of the ground. Pity really as the Scunny match was a belter.

That's 700 and all they allegedly need though, taking the double-header element out of it on this occasion that is.

More like a fifth or a sixth full. Meanwhile, there were abount 10 of us dotted along the back striaght. A cracking meeting between Peterborough and Scunny... watched by next to nobody!

Incidentally, why was Peterborough vs Scunny taken off this thread title? It seems to be the match most of us are discussing.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

The grand stand holds 2000 so 700 is a good figure

Facilities: 2200 Capacity Grandstand but bring your mining helmet so that you've enough light to fill in your programme if you get some huge lump sat in front who blocks the light from the circuit lighting.

Very enjoyable match against Scunny / bit less so against Plymouth.

But still fantastic value at £20 for adults for the 28 heats we saw.

So good to watch racers like Bjerre, Roynon, Ostergaard and even Hall, though he didn't actually score much!

Roynon has really surprised me - I thought he would plod around for the rest of this season but he putting everything into it and scoring as well as Blackbird would have done (at home at least). Well done Adam!!

But my favourite is now Ales Dryml!!

Such a smooth stylist and all those who say he's just a gating tart - just watch him work his way through from the back at the Showground!!

I am a recent convert since I had always had him down as a space waste.

But I now admire the way he doesn't have to throw the bike around to get results.

The reserves are a bit flaky though!!

Scunny put up a good fight, mainly thanks to Birks - paid 14 vs his average of 5.65!!

Auty's theatricals with his non-starting bike were great entertainment. It looked like they were going to push for a whole lap to try to start it! Lost count of how many times he changed bikes.

Just a pity that all these delays probably cost another heat in the Plymouth match.

Plymouth on the other hand were poor, even with Ollie Allen guesting for Barker.

Wright was a pale shadow of his former self.

Even Newman was subdued.

The crowd level did seem a bit disappointing though the stand did look like a good third full to me.

The track was a bit on the slick side but I suppose they didn't have time for regular tractor work during the evening.

It was a bit shambolic trying to get a programme though having only arrived at 10 to 7.

All regular locations didn't have any left and in the end Trevor Swales in the speedway office went off just before the first race and came back with a bundle for us punters.

But on the bright side, the fish & chip stall was back again!

I don't really know what more the management can do to get the crowd level up.

It's a fantastic venue, easily one of the best in the country, and the racing is usually first class entertainment.

Certainly somewhere you would be happy to take your friends without the risk of them never speaking to you again!

The huge covered stand is an excellent amenity.

You are close enough to the action with no dog track in the way.

The prices are very good, possibly amongst the lowest in the PL.

There are plenty of out and out racers in the team.

The only negatives I seem to read are that .....

- the team is not in the EL - well sorry but I think that's a plus this year!

- the race night is a Tuesday - well that seems a bit of a plus to me given that it's an empty race night (apart from Dudley) so there should be few conflicts causing rider unavailability. Sundays are great and the promotion seems to be trying to add in some of those to the mix.

- the team is weak - maybe it is now, but if Fisher and Blackbird had stayed fully fit and if Greenwood had been retained it would have been a hell of a team. Some teams do suffer from injuries, you just have to get through them and hope the next season will be better. At the moment only Somerset, Edinburgh and probably Ippo are in the hunt for silverware, the rest just need to accept that and enjoy the racing in front of them. There can only be one winner in any competition - every other team is a loser.

• Like 4

what was the attendance like last night?

It was poor, according to my friend!

I don't really know what more the management can do to get the crowd level up.

It's a fantastic venue, easily one of the best in the country, and the racing is usually first class entertainment.

Certainly somewhere you would be happy to take your friends without the risk of them never speaking to you again!

The huge covered stand is an excellent amenity.

You are close enough to the action with no dog track in the way.

The prices are very good, possibly amongst the lowest in the PL.

There are plenty of out and out racers in the team.

The only negatives I seem to read are that .....

- the team is not in the EL - well sorry but I think that's a plus this year!

- the race night is a Tuesday - well that seems a bit of a plus to me given that it's an empty race night (apart from Dudley) so there should be few conflicts causing rider unavailability. Sundays are great and the promotion seems to be trying to add in some of those to the mix.

- the team is weak - maybe it is now, but if Fisher and Blackbird had stayed fully fit and if Greenwood had been retained it would have been a hell of a team. Some teams do suffer from injuries, you just have to get through them and hope the next season will be better. At the moment only Somerset, Edinburgh and probably Ippo are in the hunt for silverware, the rest just need to accept that and enjoy the racing in front of them. There can only be one winner in any competition - every other team is a loser.

I have to say, the view from the stand is excellent :t: I'd go more often over to Peterborough...if only the race night wasn't a Tuesday! Last year I pretty much went to every home meeting, but that was when it was a Friday race night. Holding some meetings on Sundays just recently have been good, well, for me it has been anyway as I've been able to go! With regards to the weak team, the real loss was Blackbird I think. Once he was out of the picture, that was that, as he was going to be a heatleader by the end of the season. I don't think that was in any doubt.

• Like 1

Facilities: 2200 Capacity Grandstand but bring your mining helmet so that you've enough light to fill in your programme if you get some huge lump sat in front who blocks the light from the circuit lighting.

Dont make personal remarks! :mad:;)

Agree about the lighting though I has to use the light from my phone to read my speedway star

I haven't read any of the post in full, just odd bits 'n pieces.

I've got to agree with positive reports about the meeting against Scunthorpe, and is the best meeting I've seen at any level this year.

Agree about the lighting in the Grandstand, it's simply terrible. Would stronger light bulbs be the answer maybe?? I usually sit at the back of the stand, and quite honestly, I scribble results on a piece of paper, then transfer them to my programme when I get home, which of course is not the idea of buying a proggie in the first place.

As for the lower order of the team, if I were the management, I'd be keeping close tabs on Matt Williamson, because having watched him on a fast track at Redcar, I think he'd fly around the Showground given time.

With regards to league that you race in, I personally think it's the best thing that's ever happened to the club, as it's producing far superior racing to that of the Elite League.

Just my opinions of course.

Yes I should have made a comment about the lighting in my previous post.

Two thirds of the way up the stand it was pretty grim.

Too far from the circuit lighting and at the mercy of the guy behind who was between me and the 20w bulb.

Never noticed it being bad before.

Dont make personal remarks! :mad:;)

Agree about the lighting though I has to use the light from my phone to read my speedway star

Apologies, if you'd introduced yourself then I'd have chosen my words more carefully :P

However, I think that you reading something into "huge lump" which isn't there ;)

Edited by Crump99

It was poor, according to my friend!

I have to say, the view from the stand is excellent :t: I'd go more often over to Peterborough...if only the race night wasn't a Tuesday! Last year I pretty much went to every home meeting, but that was when it was a Friday race night. Holding some meetings on Sundays just recently have been good, well, for me it has been anyway as I've been able to go! With regards to the weak team, the real loss was Blackbird I think. Once he was out of the picture, that was that, as he was going to be a heatleader by the end of the season. I don't think that was in any doubt.

I always enjoy my trip to the EOES. Definitely one of the best racing tracks in the country. Have to say the crowds at Peterborough have been poor in the last few years (compared to Swindon at least).

I always enjoy my trip to the EOES. Definitely one of the best racing tracks in the country. Have to say the crowds at Peterborough have been poor in the last few years (compared to Swindon at least).

It would be a crying shame if the EoES was lost to speedway, decent facilities, easy to get to and above all a decent track. I hope it, and Peterborough, will be around for many years to come.

• Like 2