British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Belle Vue V Coventry & Kings Lynn 22/9

the problem is the bikes are high reving and the back wheels are skating across the surface .when you shut the throttle the wheel slows and starts to pick up traction so for 1 second the bike picks up actual speed although the back wheel is slowing .this is different to other sports because they are not wheel spining .there wheels do 70mph and there bike is doing 70mph ,in speedway if the bike is doing 70mph the back wheel is doing 90mph. The problem with the cuuent silencer is its design creates back pressure and makw the it nessesary to keep the engines at full rev to keep the speed up. If you have to shut off because the power needed is at the top revs it takes a few seconds to get it back and on a speedway track that few seconds is kerb to fence and the bike is driving forward rather than the wheel spinning. The old silencers didnt create back pressure and in long stroke engine there was more managable power between bottom and top of rev range so was easier to get out of trouble. Im sure there is a lesson for speedway to learn in this but i doubt it will

It's actually good to read some dumbed down techy stuff no here. We hear, "the silencer is bad" but nobody says why. I appreciate your on here Dean - far better than the "can you ride a bike" that a lot of riders seem to want to come out with.

Although the modern silencer has other bad isues (heat). I dont think it would of made difference before laydowns because revs were alot lower then even though actual bike speed was pretty much the same.current Tyres silencers and the engine(light flywheels) in a confind space make a dangerous sport more dangerous. On a smooth track the modern bike is easy to ride but how often is a track like that and then the bike is like riding a missile that has a very senstive trigger

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Why isn't something done, can't some sort of presentation be made to the acu and/or fim? Surely it's ridiculous that riders have to put up with this?

Why isn't something done, can't some sort of presentation be made to the acu and/or fim? Surely it's ridiculous that riders have to put up with this?

They don't have to put up with it. If they revert to a long stroke motor most of the problems will go away. The silencers have merely compounded a problem that the riders created in the first place.

I'll be very happy to have Zagar back next season. He still has that occasional lapse but he has upped his game since coming to Belle Vue.

In fact I'd like to see the same top five. The discount for British riders should see us under 32 (if that is the limit?) and then with Steve Worrall at reserve and a decent back up we will be fine.

Last season when the fast track was announced I was very confident of the local lads doing the stuff at reserve for us, sadly the rules were changed and the local lads rode elsewhere, hopefully the rules don't change again.

why would Steve Worrall be your reserve, he might fancy staying at Swindon

• Like 1

With a PL average of over eight, I can't see Worrall at reserve for anyone unless the rules change.

How great it was to have Tatum and Louis commentating on the second match. Good technical insight without incessant screaming and telling us how great the speedway is.

the problem is the bikes are high reving and the back wheels are skating across the surface .when you shut the throttle the wheel slows and starts to pick up traction so for 1 second the bike picks up actual speed although the back wheel is slowing .this is different to other sports because they are not wheel spining .there wheels do 70mph and there bike is doing 70mph ,in speedway if the bike is doing 70mph the back wheel is doing 90mph. The problem with the cuuent silencer is its design creates back pressure and makw the it nessesary to keep the engines at full rev to keep the speed up. If you have to shut off because the power needed is at the top revs it takes a few seconds to get it back and on a speedway track that few seconds is kerb to fence and the bike is driving forward rather than the wheel spinning. The old silencers didnt create back pressure and in long stroke engine there was more managable power between bottom and top of rev range so was easier to get out of trouble. Im sure there is a lesson for speedway to learn in this but i doubt it will

Thank you for explaining that Dean. If the design is flawed for speedway, why was it allowed or pushed on riders?

Edited by TheReturn

With a PL average of over eight, I can't see Worrall at reserve for anyone unless the rules change.

What rules? The rules were that Phil Morris would pick the draft riders. He can pick who he likes.

How great it was to have Tatum and Louis commentating on the second match. Good technical insight without incessant screaming and telling us how great the speedway is.

Agreed. I liked it that way around. I though kelvin was actually a pretty good lead man and Chris Louis good at the expert analysis stuff. While Nige in the pits asked a good question.

Harris' form is perplexing,

It's not his form last night though was it? He was clearly on a bike with no, eer Umph (sorry I don't know the technical term ;) )

What rules? The rules were that Phil Morris would pick the draft riders. He can pick who he likes.

I meant the rules in general regarding whether there is a fast track system next year, rather than who was on it. To me, Worrall, Kerr, Newman, Garrity, Blackbird all seem disproportionately better than most.

Edited by Nellie

I meant the rules in general regarding whether there is a fast track system next year, rather than who was on it. To me, Worrall, Kerr, Newman, Garrity, Blackbird all seem disproportionately better than most.

I'd add the likes of Royton, Auty and Birks to it and even some of the older Brits. Makes it a more competitive draft system for the younger guys in the list. They won't kick on again next season otherwise.

• Like 1

It's not his form last night though was it? He was clearly on a bike with no, eer Umph (sorry I don't know the technical term ;) )

Were Matej Zagar and Chris Harris both knackered having to get back from Lonigo after Saturday night. Surely 2 heat wins from 16 races was not their true form.or perhaps their best bikes were still in transit from Italy.

Were Matej Zagar and Chris Harris both knackered having to get back from Lonigo after Saturday night. Surely 2 heat wins from 16 races was not their true form.or perhaps their best bikes were still in transit from Italy.

Bomber drove back and only got to Belle Vue just before the meeting, he took his EL bikes to Lonigo. I guess Zagar would have bikes in the UK and would've used his machinery from the continent for the challenge.

Bomber drove back and only got to Belle Vue just before the meeting, he took his EL bikes to Lonigo. I guess Zagar would have bikes in the UK and would've used his machinery from the continent for the challenge.

Bombers organisational skills seem to hold him back then.For a rider who has ridden at the top level for a number of years he seems poorly equipped and the stuff he does have is rubbish ,his usual speech last regarding equipment.Its embarrassing listening to him.He will be making a good living out of the sport though so he has the last laugh I suppose.