British Speedway Forum
mudflaps

Peterborough Panthers 2015

If the 40k is just for one season will the fans have to dip there hands in there pockets again this time next year ? The same fans handing over there hard earned cash will I guess still be paying admission money to watch there racing at the Showgound will in fact be paying twice -Also it's all well and good raising this money but not wishing to be a killjoy but really what has changed ? the problem of costs out weighing admission monies and sponsorship will that change ? If the Panthers track a weakened side whilst trying to live within the clubs means will fans turn out to watch a mid tabled team ? Just a few points . I wish the Panthers well as don't want any club to close .

My understanding is a new company is required to be formed to take over and so the 40k is needed for start up and to cover the bond required by the BSPA. A switch to Friday nights will hopefully see an increase in admission monies and efforts are being made to increase sponsorship with recently announced sponsorship packages which seem realistically priced. Edited by Noodles

Fastest growing City in the Country population circa 200,000. Yet have to raise 40k. Maybe Speedway is not for The good people of Peterborough.

Is this all a bit like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic ? If Swales and co believe Speedway is a goer at the Showground why don't they invest their own money instead of trying to ring even more out of the fans ?

• Like 2

Fastest growing City in the Country population circa 200,000. Yet have to raise 40k. Maybe Speedway is not for The good people of Peterborough.

Is this all a bit like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic ? If Swales and co believe Speedway is a goer at the Showground why don't they invest their own money instead of trying to ring even more out of the fans ?

Maybe he doesn't have the available finances since getting killed off Eastenders a couple of years back?

• Like 1

may be the fastest growing city but that is mainly because of all the pakistanis breading like flies

Edited by Panther2006

Not many of them are really the good people of Peterborough in the recognised understanding of the phrase. This is taken from the website of a school local to me:

"A significant and rising proportion of pupils are from minority ethnic groups and the largest groups are Pakistani and Eastern European. A large proportion of the pupils are at an early stage of learning English. The school has families and children from Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Spain, Portugal, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, amongst many other countries."

It looks like that is the situation across much of the city, now transpose that into paying speedway customers or sponsors.

Whatever nationalities these people are, surely they are part of the same target audience. There are still an ever increading number of chimmney pots in Peterborough, out of 200,000 you are only looking at 0.5% of them to make it pay.

If they cannot attract those kind of numbers, then Swales etc are staving off the inevitable. How many times can you keep going back to the same people and ask them to dip into their pocket to keep the thing alive. Is it not the same as making the admission £25, who in the right mind would pay that for Premier League Speedway.

• Like 1

Whatever nationalities these people are, surely they are part of the same target audience. There are still an ever increading number of chimmney pots in Peterborough, out of 200,000 you are only looking at 0.5% of them to make it pay.

If they cannot attract those kind of numbers, then Swales etc are staving off the inevitable. How many times can you keep going back to the same people and ask them to dip into their pocket to keep the thing alive. Is it not the same as making the admission £25, who in the right mind would pay that for Premier League Speedway.

Bratters final blog (of 5 years ago, so you're not saying anything new!) said it all really, although if the product is right then people will turn up IMO as the last few months of Frost's tenure in 2013 showed; before we/he got stitched up by our lords and masters as per usual. Shame it took him so long, he might still be here and the begging bowl would have stayed in the cupboard?

"During my time at Peterborough, I have done everything humanly possible to attract newcomers to our sport and all I might add on little or no budget. I have presented to over 2500 kids in various schools road show initiatives, I have invited and hosted whole organisations along for free and whole streets along for free. I have put up banners and posters, I have given away 1000’s of (sponsored) car stickers and more kids goodie bags than you can shake a stick at. I have offered free admission to members of the thriving local Polish club (one person came – once), 2 for 1 offers, Kids for a quid and Kids for free. We have on occasions been overrun by hundreds of Scout groups and I have undertaken umpteen radio interviews and quite a few local TV vox pops. I have put leaflets in newspapers, I have put leaflets through letterboxes, I have handed leaflets out in shopping malls and I have put 1000’s of leaflets on cars (with apologies to the owner of the Blue Vauxhall Astra in the Peterborough Railway Station Car Park in September 2007, honestly, it really did come off in my hand, so it must have already been broken). You name it and I’ve pretty much done it and all the time, our attendances have remained constant. Constantly poor. A successful team will bring you big crowds, but this is only a short term fix and as all Speedway aficionados’ know, and only to well, success in Speedway will never happen, year on year, it can’t, for the sport would simply die.

People 'in the know' within the entertainment industry suggest that all Speedway clubs will lose 8% of their core support every year, through a variety of differing reasons. That in itself is quite alarming. And, I do believe this stacks up, in so much as, whilst I may have contributed to overall increasing our attendance by 5% or more each year, I was actually seeing shrinkage of 3%. Two things however, will always stick in my mind about whether Peterborough as a city will support Speedway in the 21st Century. 1) It has always concerned me that an inordinately high percentage of season ticket holders never had a Peterborough post code, this frankly, is shocking. 2) I will never forget that the 2006 Grand Final, arguably the greatest modern day meeting ever, watched live by over 6000 people and by thousands more at home, was followed by a Craven Shield fixture attended by less than 700 people. If that Grand Final won’t pull people in, then what will?!?!"

Well Belle Vue never did but a £5/10 offer on the back of Grand Final attendance might have? (speculate to accumulate)

Does give some idea of what the new consortium have taken on!

Edited by Crump99

The difference is that Peterborough is a major city and has a top football team, Kings Lynn is like Poole as there's nothing to do apart from going to the speedway.

The thing is once we know we are racing on and what the team is then that's when we are gonna see the funds rolling in...for instance I will pay £300 for a season ticket which I've never done..to do my bit..and the same will be for sponsorship.I think £20000 will come in easy when we know what the score is which should see us OK right?..so I think Ged and trev will have to take a calculated risk banking that once that risk has been taken that the funds will roll in. Let's just declare and get a decent commercial manager onboard(mb) and see where it takes us. But I think team building will be paramount this year because let's be honest who wants to see mid table mediocracy and not ambition. To get the ball rolling how about a showcase signing at no1 to get media interest like when we signed Niki pedersen because you have to speculate to acumilate right....though to be honest I'd be happy with fish,Ulrich and blackie.

Edited by Lukas

The thing is once we know we are racing on and what the team is then that's when we are gonna see the funds rolling in...for instance I will pay £300 for a season ticket which I've never done..to do my bit..and the same will be for sponsorship.I think £20000 will come in easy when we know what the score is which should see us OK right?..so I think Ged and trev will have to take a calculated risk banking that once that risk has been taken that the funds will roll in. Let's just declare and get a decent commercial manager onboard(mb) and see where it takes us. But I think team building will be paramount this year because let's be honest who wants to see mid table mediocracy and not ambition. To get the ball rolling how about a showcase signing at no1 to get media interest like when we signed Niki pedersen because you have to speculate to acumilate right....though to be honest I'd be happy with fish,Ulrich and blackie.

two points firstly buying a season ticket - really don't see how that helps that much other than the fact the club got the money up front you will I guess get to see the meetings at a lower admission rate on a season ticket than paying on race night .

Secondly unless the Panthers get a big sponsorship deal on board the club will have to be very careful who they sign as won't want to go over budget or they end up in the same situation as they are now this time next year - so wich would you rather see a stable club mid table and no money worries or go with a strong team maybe make the play offs but the begging bolws out again this time next year . Surly it's time to get the club finances stable and build on that year on year .

• Like 1

The difference is that Peterborough is a major city and has a top football team, Kings Lynn is like Poole as there's nothing to do apart from going to the speedway.

Peterborough is indeed a nice place, and I look forward to going back next season, but top football team....... :lol:

• Like 1