British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Vs Ipswich ( P L Play-offs) - Friday, October 3rd (7.30pm)

Top draw racing that,feared without Klindt,Birks and Douglas and Auty spewing we would get turned over tonight.Dont think ive ever see a team throw away point scoring positions as Ipswich did tonight,i know its hard to defend at the EWR but still...Some quiet brilliant passes by David Howe in the big heats

Heat 15 was top draw..shame someone had to run a last in that one as none of them deserved to!

Nothing unlucky about it, just not good enough against the weakened Scorpions..

Also if you ain't racing on the fastest lines, good luck or bad luck ain't gonna make any difference.
  • Like 1

The only sadness was the attendance, which didn't look good. Rob Godfrey puts on an excellent show - with cracking racing, limited delays and quality presentation - and if he can't attract gates then there is genuine cause to fear for the future of the sport.

Let's hope there's a promotion on for the Sheffield/Buxton dead meetings on the 12th or they'll be hardly anyone there.

Edited by Tigerite

Let's hope there's a promotion on for the Sheffield/Buxton dead meetings on the 12th or they'll be hardly anyone there.

The prospect of a possible first win for the Stags will see me there.

Poor attendances are, and always have been, an ever-present problem for Scunthorpe. You just have to look at the troubled history of the Quibbell Park/Ashbyville years back in the day.

Rob and his team do minor miracles to keep the ship afloat. I am certainly grateful that they do.

• Like 4

The only sadness was the attendance, which didn't look good. Rob Godfrey puts on an excellent show - with cracking racing, limited delays and quality presentation - and if he can't attract gates then there is genuine cause to fear for the future of the sport.

no no!!! Playoffs are big money spinners....arnt they??
  • Like 1

Flawed system having the "mini-groups". Dead rubber for Scunthorpe tonight and Berwick/Worky have two similar meetings to run next week.

Straight knock-out would be better.

• Like 4

Flawed system having the "mini-groups". Dead rubber for Scunthorpe tonight and Berwick/Worky have two similar meetings to run next week.

Straight Knock-out is the obvious answer,be interesting to see if anything changes next season .(doubt it though).
  • Like 1

Agree top 4 (2 semis then final) than top 6 would be better. Our Semi Final meetings with Kings Lynn in 2007 had excellent attendances. Edited by Tigerite
  • Like 1

I'd go with the Swedish Elitsieren model of 3rd to 6th a couple of two-legged knock-out matches and the winners joining top two in 2-legged semi finals.

Here's a new idea - why don't we declare the team at the top of the league at the end of the season as Champions? Ludicrous that a team finishing 6th could hit a purple patch and be called champions. Before I get slated for being a Monarch who may not win the PL despite finishing at least 10 points clear, I said last year at this time that it was right that Somerset beat us in the play-off final. I would have loved Monarchs to win it but could never have considered us True champions as we were in 2003, 2008 and 2010.

Run the league to end September then have a Young Trophy again.

• Like 1

Great night of racing, especially Heats 13 & 15.... Scunny showed what might have been, while Ipswich really should have taken a point at the very minimum. Ipswich seem quite a poor team, who are only doing any good in the play-offs because of injuries to other sides. I think the Witches will be found out at Somerset next Friday.

All the best

Rob

Great night of racing, especially Heats 13 & 15.... Scunny showed what might have been, while Ipswich really should have taken a point at the very minimum. Ipswich seem quite a poor team, who are only doing any good in the play-offs because of injuries to other sides. I think the Witches will be found out at Somerset next Friday.

All the best

Rob

We finished 3rd in the PL table, currently two places and 10 points ahead of Scunthorpe over a league season.

If we're a "poor team", it doesn't say an awful lot for Scunthorpe and the 9 others who finished below us this season does it?

You seem a tad bitter towards Ipswich recently for some reason..

• Like 4

Hats off to the Scorpions, Ipswich had everything to race for whilst the Scorps just had pride.

At football they sing "Top of the league and you F--ked it up" Very much suitable to Ipswich here...

Have to agree with Scunthorpe being a nightmare to get to on a Friday. Sunday afternoon would suit travelling fans much more, its a good place to watch speedway.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest where Tungate is concerned. Earlier in the season he actually admitted (stupidly) that he turns up to some away meetings with a half ar$ed attitude and struggles for motivation.

I was very surprised to see the latest greensheets have Tungate's average now above the 8 point mark, I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole next year on that figure.

It would surprise me greatly. While there's no excuse for jacking in, there's a significant difference about doing it in a heat when the match is dead and buried and doing it in a play off match when a place in the PL final and a possible PL championship at stake. Tungate certainly put it in in heat 15 and it would be quite incredible if a team manager chose him for that when he had simply given up in a race two heats earlier.

According to green sheets his average has improved more than any other Ipswich rider (Hawkins is the same) this season. To not 'touch with a barge pole' a rider like that for next season seems to me to be a little foolish.

The crowd did seem down somewhat tonight, not surprising really given our injuries and our dead play off situation... I actually didn't think the crowd was that bad tonight, I expected worse to be honest. Out of contention in the play-offs, nothing at stake for the home fans, it was simply a case of 'stay at home and save your money' time'.. Shame cos those that did stay away missed a cracker.

I think that's fair point - I am sure that if Scunny had something to go for it would have been different. I have to say, though, that throughout the season they have not been as good as the standard of meetings at EWR (and that's the whole package, not just the racing) definitely deserve.

Used to love going to Scunthorpe on a Sunday afternoon and that's the problem now with it being run on a Friday night, traffic a nightmare on M1/M18/M180 which puts me off! If Scunthorpe ran their meetings on a Sunday afternoon like they did with NL then I would be a regular visitor, but Friday nights is a no go for me :(

I do M62/M18/M180 and on the latter two I have never encountered any problems (to be fair, that's coming from the north). I set off at 5pm last week and arrived at 6.15 because there was so little traffic on the M62 (to my surprise).

Not using the present system when meetings are dead, even if that is just one club. I think Tigerite (and others) are correct in that 4 teams only is better.

All the best

Rob

Bit harsh, Rob. They wouldn't have got in to the play offs in the first place if they were a poor team and that takes away some of the credit from a quite brilliant backs to the wall performance from Scorpions.

This wasn't just about Ipswich throwing it away.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2