British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Vs Ipswich ( P L Play-offs) - Friday, October 3rd (7.30pm)

Great night of racing, especially Heats 13 & 15.... Scunny showed what might have been, while Ipswich really should have taken a point at the very minimum. Ipswich seem quite a poor team, who are only doing any good in the play-offs because of injuries to other sides. I think the Witches will be found out at Somerset next Friday.

A full strength Witches were found out at Scunthorpe.

Bit harsh, Rob. They wouldn't have got in to the play offs in the first place if they were a poor team and that takes away some of the credit from a quite brilliant backs to the wall performance from Scorpions.

This wasn't just about Ipswich throwing it away.

The Witches rarely seem to be able to produce that sort of performance, and it's been a missing link for quite a few seasons.

Edited by Had Enough Too

Bit harsh, Rob. They wouldn't have got in to the play offs in the first place if they were a poor team and that takes away some of the credit from a quite brilliant backs to the wall performance from Scorpions.

This wasn't just about Ipswich throwing it away.

Maybe it was a bit harsh, and yes you're right, it was a superb performance from Scunny.

Josh Auty's ride in Heat 13, in particular was quite brilliant. He really was feeling below the weather, he spent his time between heats slumped in a chair in the pits. To go out and dash from last to first while feeling like that really shows commitment.

And David Howe was masterful, considering he had to do much of the work from the back.

Add in a highly competitive outing from Tommy The Gun (he so much deserved a point for his efforts in that blockbuster Heat 15) plus the guests all chipping in - although it seems strange to call Mattie Orange a guest, he's one or our lads - and we just had too much.

As for Ipswich, yes you're right "poor" is not the word to describe that team. But they have been found wanting at the most crucial part of the season. Maybe "unable to lift themselves at crucial times" is a fairer description. With the way this play-off group has played out, the final place was theirs for the taking. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I think a heavy defeat awaits them next Friday, leaving the Witches to then dwell on what could have been.

Scunny have the excuse of being decimated by injury. With a full side I'm convinced we could have taken a point at Ippo (we were doing OK there until Nicolai crashed out, even without any firepower at reserve due to Ash's absence), and also taken all three points from Somerset last Friday. If so, we'd have 7 points and be on the brink on the final.

But what's Ipswich's excuse? They've had almost a full team for the play-offs. They looked unconvincing early doors against Scunny, failed to take full advantage of Somerset's problems at Foxhall, and then lost to a Scunny side with only three of its declared 1-7, one of whom was ill. Ipswich should be in the final by now.

All the best

Rob

Ipswich need to lose by less than six points to go through on points difference. Easy!!! given that some Somerset fans claim that they have no home advantage even though they regularly rack up 60+ points :wink:

I know of only one rider ( James grieves ) who has stated that he does not like the OTA and he won the Pairs with Screen. We have been doing very well at our place this year because we have been better than anyone else. Have a look at Statman's excellent descriptions of races on the updates site to how many times the Rebels win races from behind.

It's not over until the fat lady sings, anything can happen on the night as it did to Scunny at our place and us at Ippo.

Here's a new idea - why don't we declare the team at the top of the league at the end of the season as Champions? Ludicrous that a team finishing 6th could hit a purple patch and be called champions. Before I get slated for being a Monarch who may not win the PL despite finishing at least 10 points clear, I said last year at this time that it was right that Somerset beat us in the play-off final. I would have loved Monarchs to win it but could never have considered us True champions as we were in 2003, 2008 and 2010.

Run the league to end September then have a Young Trophy again.

Agree totally, Edinburgh champs for me whoever wins the play offs.

• Like 1

Have to agree with earlier posts, some good racing and much-depleted Scunny were too strong for ipswich.

On paying an all too rare visit to Scunny, I'm not sure about the comments on the crowd being low. We 3 arrived at 7ish and drove round the car park for 5 minutes searching for a parking spot, we finished up near the big yellow Tonka trucks. Speaking to one of the turnstile ladies I was informed "it seems like half of Ipswich are in town to see if their side can make the play offs". Plenty of fans in both stands, the middle rows of seats, the 1st turn cover, the bar platform and a good few on the back straight. The car park seemed pretty much full and though the Tonka toys and pile of shale take up room I'm not sure how many more cars could have been accomodated....

Maybe it was a bit harsh, and yes you're right, it was a superb performance from Scunny.

As for Ipswich, yes you're right "poor" is not the word to describe that team. But they have been found wanting at the most crucial part of the season. Maybe "unable to lift themselves at crucial times" is a fairer description. With the way this play-off group has played out, the final place was theirs for the taking. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I think a heavy defeat awaits them next Friday, leaving the Witches to then dwell on what could have been.

Scunny have the excuse of being decimated by injury. With a full side I'm convinced we could have taken a point at Ippo (we were doing OK there until Nicolai crashed out, even without any firepower at reserve due to Ash's absence), and also taken all three points from Somerset last Friday. If so, we'd have 7 points and be on the brink on the final.

But what's Ipswich's excuse? They've had almost a full team for the play-offs. They looked unconvincing early doors against Scunny, failed to take full advantage of Somerset's problems at Foxhall, and then lost to a Scunny side with only three of its declared 1-7, one of whom was ill. Ipswich should be in the final by now.

All the best

Rob

For a club official and even worse somebody responsible for writing words on behalf of the club you don't half talk some tosh.

Basically in this play off group all matches have gone to form. Somerset will win the group due to beating both other teams out of site at the OTA and by virtue of the point they gained at Scunthorpe a feat and score line repeated from earlier in the season.

Ipswich stuffed both teams at home, again as per the form of earlier in the season. The scoreline in the Somerset match a virtual repeat. Yes they could have and should have won by more but that makes no difference given the point Somerset gained at Scunthorpe.

It could be argued that the only result to go against form is the much better scoreline Ipswich achieved second time round at the EWR.

Somerset advance to the final due to them being, as the table suggests, the best team in the group.

Ipswich and Scunthorpe good at home but not good enough away from home.

Time to lose that chip/sack of spuds on your shoulder.

All the best.

• Like 2

Have a look at Statman's excellent descriptions of races on the updates site to how many times the Rebels win races from behind.

To be fair, to say that a rider is outgated, then "passes" someone on the first bend is not a pass. You could say that at every track.

Although of course, even if you remove all of those comments, there are still a good number of heats at the OTA where passes take place after the first lap, which is where some tracks don't measure-up so well.

• Like 1

It would surprise me greatly. While there's no excuse for jacking in, there's a significant difference about doing it in a heat when the match is dead and buried and doing it in a play off match when a place in the PL final and a possible PL championship at stake. Tungate certainly put it in in heat 15 and it would be quite incredible if a team manager chose him for that when he had simply given up in a race two heats earlier.

According to green sheets his average has improved more than any other Ipswich rider (Hawkins is the same) this season. To not 'touch with a barge pole' a rider like that for next season seems to me to be a little foolish.

Im with Catch22 here I wouldn't touch him either on that average it looks pretty expensive to me.

I wouldn't be happy going in to next season with Tungate our Number 1 and main man. Having watched him regularly now for 3 years he isn't a rider to lead a team or trust to pull you through meetings when the going gets tough.

I was another who was totally hacked off with his comments earlier this season about lacking motivation and basically not trying in some away meetings.

When you consider someone like Danny King is available for half a point more, it shows even more there are better options out there to lead the team.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

It would surprise me greatly. While there's no excuse for jacking in, there's a significant difference about doing it in a heat when the match is dead and buried and doing it in a play off match when a place in the PL final and a possible PL championship at stake. Tungate certainly put it in in heat 15 and it would be quite incredible if a team manager chose him for that when he had simply given up in a race two heats earlier.

According to green sheets his average has improved more than any other Ipswich rider (Hawkins is the same) this season. To not 'touch with a barge pole' a rider like that for next season seems to me to be a little foolish.

A little foolish in your opinion, my opinion is clearly the opposite to yours.

He wouldn't get anywhere near a team spot for me on that figure.

As stated above, Tungate doesn't strike me as number 1 material, which he would be on that figure.

My judgement may also be clouded somewhat by his incredible comments in the local press earlier in the season. I'm staggered how little was made of those comments especially by some of the supporters on here who actually came on and backed him.

When you have supporters such as Baldyman, who travel up and down the country supporting their team, spending a chunk of their hard earned money in the process, I find it totally unacceptable to hear a rider you're supporting come out in the press stating they've not been making an effort in meetings and lack motivation.

Lack motivation!!? He's been involved in the sport for 3 years, if he's lacking drive and motivation already then he's clearly in the wrong job and will never make it to the top with that attitude.

Hopefully Chris Louis will leave him out of his plans for next season. Tungate can do one as far as I'm concerned.

Well catch 22 if you look at the Ipswich 2015 thread, you will see I've also put no to tungate for next season, but I am pretty sure we will be in the minority, maybe even the only 2 that post on here anyway. King and Worrall would be my top 2 next season, definitely not tungate and risager.

To be fair, to say that a rider is outgated, then "passes" someone on the first bend is not a pass. You could say that at every track.

Although of course, even if you remove all of those comments, there are still a good number of heats at the OTA where passes take place after the first lap, which is where some tracks don't measure-up so well.

Sort of agree and disagree with the gating and first bend thing, how many times do you see FTG at say Owlerton for example and in previous seasons Rye House. Call me biased but if you are at the at the first bend on any track at the back it's hard work to get past. Where the Rebels have it Sussed is if they are out gated and find themselves poorly placed they normally no where to go to gain position exiting the second bend, quite often you hear of Rebels "left for dead at the tapes" but by the second lap were first and second, or my favourite from Statman "Morris was stone last from the tapes" then chased somebody for the rest of the race finally getting past off the final bend ha ha.

• Like 1

A little foolish in your opinion, my opinion is clearly the opposite to yours.

He wouldn't get anywhere near a team spot for me on that figure.

As stated above, Tungate doesn't strike me as number 1 material, which he would be on that figure.

My judgement may also be clouded somewhat by his incredible comments in the local press earlier in the season. I'm staggered how little was made of those comments especially by some of the supporters on here who actually came on and backed him.

When you have supporters such as Baldyman, who travel up and down the country supporting their team, spending a chunk of their hard earned money in the process, I find it totally unacceptable to hear a rider you're supporting come out in the press stating they've not been making an effort in meetings and lack motivation.

Lack motivation!!? He's been involved in the sport for 3 years, if he's lacking drive and motivation already then he's clearly in the wrong job and will never make it to the top with that attitude.

Hopefully Chris Louis will leave him out of his plans for next season. Tungate can do one as far as I'm concerned.

You watch Tungate every week, I don't.

But there are just 7 riders in the PL with higher averages. How can he not be number one material ?

• Like 1

Well catch 22 if you look at the Ipswich 2015 thread, you will see I've also put no to tungate for next season, but I am pretty sure we will be in the minority, maybe even the only 2 that post on here anyway. King and Worrall would be my top 2 next season, definitely not tungate and risager.

King on 8.88 is a no brainer and I agree with you a top 2 of King and Worrall would be excellent.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of competition for both riders' signature though so we'll see.

On the Tun motivation-gate (see what I did there?) I think he was incredibly naive with the interview he gave to the Ipswich Star.

Everyone has bad days at the office in all walks of life where everything seems a struggle, but to admit to the local press that you're travelling to away meetingS with a lack of motivation to do well is a little bit naughty and like I say, naive.

He's also left himself wide open to criticism and question marks every time he has a really poor meeting, which he's bound to have from time to time.

There will be meetings where he's busting a gut for every lap of every race but things just aren't happening for him, but suspicions will probably remain that he's making little "effort".

Also a little disappointing from the Ipswich Star on this occasion. They've been excellent backers of the Witches for many many years now, but they would have known before printing that that was a negative article and wouldn't have shown the rider in a particularly good light.

You watch Tungate every week, I don't.

But there are just 7 riders in the PL with higher averages. How can he not be number one material ?

Possibly because his average was achieved elsewhere in the team, and he's only just moved up to that position.

Got to be honest, I wouldn't be comfortable having him leading the team at number 1 either, that would be a mistake in my opinion.

Edited by Bloomy

For a club official and even worse somebody responsible for writing words on behalf of the club you don't half talk some tosh.

Basically in this play off group all matches have gone to form. Somerset will win the group due to beating both other teams out of site at the OTA and by virtue of the point they gained at Scunthorpe a feat and score line repeated from earlier in the season.

Ipswich stuffed both teams at home, again as per the form of earlier in the season. The scoreline in the Somerset match a virtual repeat. Yes they could have and should have won by more but that makes no difference given the point Somerset gained at Scunthorpe.

It could be argued that the only result to go against form is the much better scoreline Ipswich achieved second time round at the EWR.

Somerset advance to the final due to them being, as the table suggests, the best team in the group.

Ipswich and Scunthorpe good at home but not good enough away from home.

Time to lose that chip/sack of spuds on your shoulder.

All the best.

TSO!! You're still lurking :)

Pithy observations, as always ;)

Edited by Had Enough Too

King on 8.88 is a no brainer and I agree with you a top 2 of King and Worrall would be excellent.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of competition for both riders' signature though so we'll see.

On the Tun motivation-gate (see what I did there?) I think he was incredibly naive with the interview he gave to the Ipswich Star.

Everyone has bad days at the office in all walks of life where everything seems a struggle, but to admit to the local press that you're travelling to away meetingS with a lack of motivation to do well is a little bit naughty and like I say, naive.

He's also left himself wide open to criticism and question marks every time he has a really poor meeting, which he's bound to have from time to time.

There will be meetings where he's busting a gut for every lap of every race but things just aren't happening for him, but suspicions will probably remain that he's making little "effort".

Also a little disappointing from the Ipswich Star on this occasion. They've been excellent backers of the Witches for many many years now, but they would have known before printing that that was a negative article and wouldn't have shown the rider in a particularly good light.

Possibly because his average was achieved elsewhere in the team, and he's only just moved up to that position.

Got to be honest, I wouldn't be comfortable having him leading the team at number 1 either, that would be a mistake in my opinion.

I agree it was certainly an error of judgement for Rohan to have made those comments early in the season. I think he was probably feeling a bit down at having missed out on an Elite place and perhaps doubting himself because of it. The saying is that honesty is the best policy. Well that doesn't seem to be the case here!!

Had he have said he was having some struggles and was confident he would get it right soon and then gone on to have the season he has it is likely all would be a lot rosier with peoples opinions of him.

The point that he has achieved it not at number 1 could be valid but then look at his scores in his meetings since and he has done just as well.Perhaps being a number one is the 'motivation' he needs to kick on.

The quirk of Speedway is that any rider that improves is automatically at risk for the next year due to the points limit and questions over further improvement. Conversely have a poor year and you can become a 'hot property' and be in demand as many will know you can do better.

• Like 2