British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thebaron

Scunthorpe 2015

Well done on getting the award again. A genuine question - your track is always highly rated and you have had good teams in recent years, so why have attendances fallen? If you can't maintain good crowds, what chance have certain other tracks got?

Its a shame crowds are dwindling..I know quite a few people that no longer go for various reasons. Reasons being 'fell out with certain people', 'simply can't afford it no more', 'its too cold', 'wrong raceday', 'I need to sit but can't physically negiotiate the steps to access seats'..... basically hear lots of excuses.

There's no question that Scunthorpe has suffered over the years because of the general decline in the steel industry, the town still relies heavily on the steelworks,....(as well as having a first class speedway track, we are also very proud of our world class steelmaking facilities)... we just pray that the works can thrive and continue to provide employment for the masses for years to come. Its a fear and major worry, particularly at this current uncertain time...... no steelworks=ghost town!

There's no disputing the quality of speedway on offer, supporters do generally get their monies worth at Scunny. It's getting these old supporters interested again whilst attracting new supporters that seems the problem. Scunny supporters really need to spread the word and do all they can to help the promotion this year ...

Unfortunately bus services do not go near our track to get kids there and back from areas Like Ashby, Bottesford, Westcliffe. Messingham, Scotter etc. Not many family groups can afford it. Such a shame because Its the kids we need to entice as they are the future fans.

I presume you mean the weather is "inhospitable" - not the good folk of Scunthorpe ? :wink:

It's an open field with a couple of shelters, a few portacabins and a brick built toilet block. I think that it's even more susceptible to locals being put off by iffy weather than a lot of other tracks - hence the poor attendances. I hope that the numbers pick up next year or we might all be missing the great racing the track offers come 2016. :cry:

Love the steak pie
  • Like 1

Unfortunately bus services do not go near our track to get kids there and back from areas Like Ashby, Bottesford, Westcliffe. Messingham, Scotter etc. Not many family groups can afford it. Such a shame because Its the kids we need to entice as they are the future fans.

This is an area that also concerns me. The track is approx. 2 miles from the bus station. There is a bus that runs with Tai on its sides but do people know him? To me, we need to educate the kids what speedway is about, & not what you see on the tv, Sky & Eurosport. We are NOT gate & go, we entertain with multiple passing opportunities. Videos need to be sent to schools, posters put up around the town(the circus, fair & monster trucks were always a plenty) a pick up bus either from the bus station or a type of circular route to be more direct to the EWR.

• Like 2

In Nike Lunna, the promotion are signing a rider with 'potential.' How much potential remains to be seen.

Remember, he is only eighteen years old and outside of Finland relatively inexperienced. Comparisons with Palovaara at Glasgow aren't fair, as Palovaara, as a Swede has had consistently greater access to a higher level of racing in Sweden than Nike Lunna has had in Finland. In the longer-term though, Lunna may well prove the better rider. He is certainly the best young prospect in Finland at present and he wants to make a professional career for himself as a rider. As you will see his style is certainly entertaining!

Looking at his records he has mostly rode in Finland and Estonia.

Rode one meeting in Poland for Lodz in the Polish League and a challenge match for Lodz as well.

By his own admission he did about 50 meetings this season. He just CANNOT have done more than 15 in Finland this year. In both his years on 500cc 4 tops in Estonia combined.

EDIT: Estonian meets from3 to 4. Three Estonian Champs rounds and one Finnish KC meet. All at the Ranna track in Tallinn.

Edited by f-s-p

Iron scorpion...you nailed it with your reply, hopefully what you suggest can be addressed. Didn't Tai go around the schools? I seem to remember him doing so. Buses in Scunthorpe are useless after 6pm. My own service stops. What needs to be done is exactly what you propose but we could do with Hornsby's coming aboard have a few pick-up places. " Hornsby Speedway Bus" food for thought?

Bus starting in scotter through messingham down grange lane up ashby high street the along ashby road Oswald road and fordingham road multipull stops might be a winner especialy with those who fancy a beer or six

• Like 1

According to Twitter team is sorted and will be announced on Thursday

I hate mass announcements as speedway star wont put pictures of all of them in (if they are returing riders i have photos off!!) i much prefer one a week!!

so who are they going to be??? im guessing 3 more returning riders 1 returning asset and a new rider just under 5 giving us 2 reserves just under the 5pt mark!! although im sure Mr blobby will be along from the glasgow thread after he has talked to one of his sources and tell us who they are!!

I hate mass announcements as speedway star wont put pictures of all of them in (if they are returing riders i have photos off!!) i much prefer one a week!!

so who are they going to be??? im guessing 3 more returning riders 1 returning asset and a new rider just under 5 giving us 2 reserves just under the 5pt mark!! although im sure Mr blobby will be along from the glasgow thread after he has talked to one of his sources and tell us who they are!!

Name Names Bullet ;) I'm guessing Howe and Auty but who else and who the returning asset?

Name Names Bullet ;) I'm guessing Howe and Auty but who else and who the returning asset?

This is just my guess looking across all media types and a semi wish list, but i have a feeling we may see Klindt back and also a return for MPT

But yes the other 2 im guesing will be Howe and Auty with rob statig early on that he wanted to keep a core of the team. Think Josh will do better as well next year if he does ride in the Fast track in the EL as last year was very stop start with meetings and then his illness

• Like 1

do you seriously keep photos of speedway riders?? :)

Auty, Klindt, Howe, Holder and Perks, would that fit?

do you seriously keep photos of speedway riders?? :)

I would hope so being the photographer at scunny!!!

Auty, Klindt, Howe, Holder and Perks, would that fit?

Yes that would fit and would be well under the limit aroud 40.74

I would hope so being the photographer at scunny!!!

Yes that would fit and would be well under the limit aroud 40.74

ah right... :)
  • Like 1