British Speedway Forum
g13webb

Posf2 Poole V Kings Lynn

Maybe you should find the Volunteers, and the covers. Not that simple really.. Look at the state of Swindons track. You ask Rosco the same question..

A personal opinion-but I think the BAGS afternoon greyhound meeting on Monday at Swindon was a big factor in how the track was-probably 6.30pm before they could get on the track.

• Like 1

As proved by Swindon, the covers that are being used isn't the whole solution, in my opinion they need to breathe like cricket covers.

• Like 1

Swindon used the "BSPA" track covers. There were pictures and a description of what was done on the trackstaff's blog.

It seems that there is only one set of these covers. Swindon didn't use the plastic sheeting from the greyhound track.

It was said at the meeting that without these covers the match at Swindon would have been cancelled.

Poole didn't have these covers so Poole was cancelled. It all seems to make sense to me.

The explanation makes sense, but the situation of there being only one set of these covers is utterly pathetic.

Passive acceptance of the BSPA's continued failure to stage this sport with any sensible level of professionalism is contributing to the downward spiral.

No one involved in the sport should be able to make any excuse for what happened - or, to be more accurate, what failed to happen that should have.

Also ... the match was not cancelled, it was postponed - there's a definition in the SCB Regs, so there's no excuse to use the incorrect terminology.

• Like 1

A personal opinion-but I think the BAGS afternoon greyhound meeting on Monday at Swindon was a big factor in how the track was-probably 6.30pm before they could get on the track.

Agree and this is part of the argument against all tracks racing on a monday. It rained until about late morning then there were a few light showers till about 2. During the breaks in the dog racing the covers were removed but I do not think any work could take place with machinery until 6.30ish, which did not give the uncovered track time to be worked so that the wet bits dried out.

maybe you should have covered it? simple really isnt it

Covers are not always the answer.............the meeting at Swindon proved that.............see previous posts about the amount of rain in the area yesterday...........even with covers the odds are that it would not have been rideable.............

It should have been called off earlier in the day is my honest opinion............but then again who am I to argue with the anti Poole brigade on here...........its getting as bad as a certain Facebook page...........

RP

Goodness me there are some uninformed posts on here in the last few pages - mainly from non-Poole fans and those that weren't anywhere near Wimborne Road last night!!

Having spent a fair amount of time at the track yesterday, the track staff did an incredible job once it stopped raining from around 1.15pm!! In bright sunshine and a strong wind they got the track into a raceable condition but all the work was wrecked by an unexpected and un-forecasted torrential rain downpour for around 10-15 minutes at approx. 4pm.

After that downpour the decision was made to blade off the top surface - a decision made at most tracks in similar circumstances - unfortunately the blade cut into the base on the first turn and 'gouged out' a hole or trough of approx. 5ft in length which was right on the racing line and went down at least 6 inches - maybe more - in depth. It was attempted to fill it by just using the top surface material and packing it down - but it wasn't enough!

This was the only issue the riders had on the track walk - as was reported on Sky - as the rest of the track was and looked raceable. Incidentally the senior meeting co-ordinator Ronnie Allan, was very keen to get the meeting on - unlike the meeting referee Christina Turnbull!!

OK, blame Poole as it was their track - blame the Poole tractor driver as he was controlling the blading - but don't blame the Poole riders or management, it wasn't solely their decision to call the meeting off!! All riders were very vocal - some more than others from either side - about NOT riding, once again as Rory Schlein and Middlo explained in interview.

As for the delay in announcing the rearranged date of Thursday, I do feel for many of the crowd but its not just a case of checking riders availability. Thursday is Poole's official 'rain-off' day, but a number of things need to be checked/confirmed before an announcement can be made - Stadium staffing; trackstaff availability; Sky availability; how long it might take for a proper repair of the 'hole', etc etc

Thursday is forecast to be a better weather day - but not without a lot of rain still to come beforehand on Tuesday/Wednesday - not something that will lend itself to the use of track covers. And we know plastic sheeting or tarpaulins don't work either - although imo it might be worth trying it over the start line as we don't want what Swindon had to cope with!!

If what you say is true, what was a Blind/ Drunk person doing in charge of a Blade. Surely to do that much damage he must have been deliberate or stupid.

Maybe you should find the Volunteers, and the covers. Not that simple really.. Look at the state of Swindons track. You ask Rosco the same question..

Rosco got the meeting on, Poole didn't.

They got covers and volunteers.

I take it Poole had neither.

• Like 1

Sky are showing this meeting. :wink:

Saves me from watching England

Oh your poor girlfiend will be round my house again with THJ and MJJ,car keys in the fruitbowl.Still she will be happy enough

• Like 4

total rubbish. theres plenty of blue rinsers in dorset with nothing else to do, and by the way the track at swindon didnt stop coventry did it

According to Buster, Poole didn't even have any fresh shale to do any remedial work. He wasn't impressed according to the EDP.

Have to say for the self proclaimed "best club in the country" it's farcical not to have the ingredients to give professional riders a safe track to ride on.

• Like 4

Our track prep was not, crap. Had it not pissed down at 4 pm we would have been on. The track was totally flooded after the night befores rain, and it rained all morning untill 1 pm. Then, you still can't touch the track. Tell me what would you do ?

wrong your track prep was crap.

Swindon had covers and people prepared to work on the track. Poole had neither. Hardly a big club mentality.

They bladed the circuit , which done at any other track would have guaranteed the meeting going ahead.

The guy on the blade needs the sack. If Poole are supposed to be the bench mark for the elite league then that was a shambles in track prep

• Like 2

I feel sorry for the KL supporters, not only because of the wasted travel costs, but also because I believe that last night they would have comfortably turned over Poole and then gone on to meet Cov.

No doubt the Poole team on Thursday will bear no resemblance to last nights team. To be honest I actually feel that Poole quite unashamedly and intentionally did nothing to counteract the effects of the forecast weather and were banking on a postponement.

I feel sorry for the loads of genuine Poole supporters for the embarrassment caused by their promotion and management yesterday

• Like 2

I feel sorry for the KL supporters, not only because of the wasted travel costs, but also because I believe that last night they would have comfortably turned over Poole and then gone on to meet Cov.No doubt the Poole team on Thursday will bear no resemblance to last nights team. To be honest I actually feel that Poole quite unashamedly and intentionally did nothing to counteract the effects of the forecast weather and were banking on a postponement.I feel sorry for the loads of genuine Poole supporters for the embarrassment caused by their promotion and management yesterday

Do you want to tell the track curators that as they worked bloody hard to get the meeting on, the main antagonists were from KL although all the riders were happy with a postponement.

I know I'm wasting my breath but no member of the Poole management put any pressure on the meeting being postponed.

I am that fed up with all the conspiracies that my time has come to ditch this forum and leave all the idiots and Poole haters to bitch among themselves.

So cheerio was nice knowing the genuine fans.

• Like 4

The Poole track was raceable,straights were fine,bends 3 and 4 were fine,the meeting COULD have gone ahead with a diff set of riders standing there in my opion.If this was a premier league match,there would have been no problem,but the simple fact is the pamperded elite league stars didnt want to try,Ive seen bigger ruts loads of times this season,ok it was on the first bend,But come thursday they are going to have the same problem to deal with,and we will see what happens next!!! I should add im a neutral fan in all this and we went down to Poole to have a good day out,which we were having up until start time!!!

Do you want to tell the track curators that as they worked bloody hard to get the meeting on, the main antagonists were from KL although all the riders were happy with a postponement.

I know I'm wasting my breath but no member of the Poole management put any pressure on the meeting being postponed.

I am that fed up with all the conspiracies that my time has come to ditch this forum and leave all the idiots and Poole haters to bitch among themselves.

So cheerio was nice knowing the genuine fans.

It's a shame you feel like that but nevertheless, fully understandable.