British Speedway Forum

Right ok, so how big is this track going to be ? just because its shaped like cardiff, doesn't mean to say it will be Cardiff's size.275 mtrs. And yes your right about Somerset 300 mtrs whether it was fault or design. But if your that much against it, you either lodge a protest or you don't go, simple really, but to be honest, i think you'l be in a minority.

This is a forum so you don't have to "not go or lodge a protest" just for having an opinion!!!!!

• Like 1

The benefit of a smaller capacity is that meetings with smaller crwods should still result in a decent atmosphere as everyone won't be spread out.

Why ? even a play off final won't get that sort of crowd these days

2,500 isn't big enough for the big meetings they say they hope to attract. King's Lynn holds 6,000 (?) and it's jam packed for the SWC. Belle Vue will hold 6,000 and more when temporary stands are needed, I can only assume the paper has the capacity wrong if they are serious at holding top events.

Edited by woz01

The paper says 2,500, the same as the current stadium.

So one way or the other they've got it wrong.

2,500 isn't big enough for the big meetings they say they hope to attract. King's Lynn holds 6,000 (?) and it's jam packed for the SWC. Belle Vue will hold 6,000 and more when temporary stands are needed, I can only assume the paper has the capacity wrong if they are serious at holding top events.

King's Lynn 8,500 capacity

The paper says 2,500, the same as the current stadium.

So one way or the other they've got it wrong.

Do Swindon get crowds that are usually over 2500 usually? Just thinking maybe that's what they are taking into account and if it would be worth the cost of making it bigger.

Good news on the new stadium.

2,500? You won't be attracting major speedway events if that's the case.

Just reading the story again, it doesn't mention major SPEEDWAY events - just large events suited to TV!!!!!

The benefit of a smaller capacity is that meetings with smaller crwods should still result in a decent atmosphere as everyone won't be spread out.

"SCB do you think if for example for a WTC round, a 2,500 crowd at 25 pound a head would be realistic.?

I think a lot of that depends on whether there is a covered/cantilevered grandstand to contain the atmosphere, on the home straight especially. I may have missed it, but i haven't seen anything in the plans or talk about it having a covered main straight?

It needs something to contain the noise of the bikes and the crowd to heighten the experience. Its something i didn't notice had such an effect until i went to a couple of meetings at Somerset. Even though there was a big crowd, the general noise and atmosphere had nothing to reflect off or contain it, so it just goes straight up into the air above, resulting, i think in the atmosphere being a little more flat and muted than it should be.

The abbey has just about enough of a roof over the main straight currently to contain some noise, but the best example is probably at Poole. When the grandstand has plenty of people in it making some noise (only when they're winning obviously), not only is it loud when you're in there, but it also projects the noise out onto the other parts of the stadium as well. When people get cheering in there,you can really hear it from the bends. If you took that away from Wimbourne road, the atmosphere would certainly take a nose dive all round the stadium.

Just reading the story again, it doesn't mention major SPEEDWAY events - just large events suited to TV!!!!!

As it will be a speedway and greyhound venue then the large events will likely be speedway and greyhounds. I don't think a regular speedway league meeting counts as a large event on tv or watching it live.

King's Lynn 8,500 capacity

Just shows you need this type of capacity. King's Lynn was jam packed for the SWC last season.

Edited by woz01

Yeah but the story mentions activities/events on 'every day' so unless its greyhounds on 6 days a week, there has to be other 'events' in the plans eg stocks and/or non-motorsport events?!

Whatever the eventual sports there has to be covered seating and standing areas if its going to compete against other modern stadium facilities to get people to attend regularly rather than a 'once-a-year' special event!!. Basic minimum nowadays.

Edited by Skidder1

Yeah but the story mentions activities/events on 'every day' so unless its greyhounds on 6 days a week, there has to be other 'events' in the plans eg stocks and/or non-motorsport events?!

Whatever the eventual sports there has to be covered seating and standing areas if its going to compete against other modern stadium facilities to get people to attend regularly rather than a 'once-a-year' special event!!. Basic minimum nowadays.

Maybe they're going to have weddings and pop concerts like BV.

Some of the activities will take place under or inside the main stand.

As I said what big meetings are there left in the Uk ...by holding a SWC round it's pretty pointless having it any bigger .

Most big meetings will still be at Kings Lynn or Belle Vue so can't see the point in having a stadium for an odd meeting like a under 21 round.

Just glad we'll have a stadium to replace the old girl.

• Like 1