British Speedway Forum

yes i do agree, maybe he should have said somrthing along those lines, but very much doubt his lawyers advised it.

I also feel the lady in question must have had no self respect to go to a hotel room to have sex with a stranger, if that was my daughter shed get both barrels regardless of what ensued later..... Young women should also treat young men with respect, not in this case but it works both ways!!.

if your son met a female athlete at a club and went back to her hotel for sex, would you say this showed he had no self respect? Would you give him "both barrels"?

if your son met a female athlete at a club and went back to her hotel for sex, would you say this showed he had no self respect? Would you give him "both barrels"?

i would aye, would you?

That's a shame. I hear she finds you very attractive indeed and is a huge fan of your postings on this forum. She must be absolutely gutted to read this.

What a strange standpoint you take, taking sympathy with a convicted rapist. Either you put your faith in the British Justice System or in a man who chose take full advantage of a vulnerable teenage girl and got his 'mates' to film him getting his own disgusting selfish way, then sneaking off all behind his partner's back. Personally, I'll put my faith in our system.

Although we still have some way to go, I think we are increasingly living in a society where more victims feel they can speak out against sexual abuse and they will get the overwhelming support of others. Perhaps some people would prefer we go back to the 1970s?

Some people find your viewpoint strange ..if you believe in the British justice system then you should able to work again once you served your time after all that is how it's supposed to work .

No wonder people go back to crime if this is the state of things .

I take your point but even in those circumstances a statement that he was foolish to put himself in that position would be a good move and add that young men should treat young women with respect. I assume you would agree he didn't treat the female in question with respect.

I Think me and many others who don't think he should have been found guilty think he still a scumbag for the way he acted . I don't think that has ever been in question .

Edited by orion
  • Like 4

Some people find your viewpoint strange ..if you believe in the British justice system then you should able to work again once you served your time after all that is how it's supposed to work .

Could you point out where I say he should never be allowed to work again?

Can you point out where British Justice has ruled he should never be allowed to work again?

Could you point out where I say he should never be allowed to work again?

Can you point out where British Justice has ruled he should never be allowed to work again?

Sorry after reading your post again I got the wrong end of the stick of what you meant /said .

• Like 1

n .

It's not the British justice system that's stopping him working its public opinion, which can be very fickle and inconsistent. Lots of people in the public eye have lost their careers because of some misdemeanour, be it serious or minor. On the other hand if it had been some pop singer doing exactly the same as Evans, he would probably have been soon forgiven.

In one sense I can see why it can be argued that he has had a bad deal, but as you say he had behaved like a scumbag so I won't lose any sleep over him.

• Like 3

In one sense I can see why it can be argued that he has had a bad deal, but as you say he had behaved like a scumbag so I won't lose any sleep over him.

Is Britain really that prudish that anyone having sex with another person is "scumbag"? And since when did being a "scumbag" become a crime? And as pointed out, when you commit a crime you're given a punishment by the courts and once it's complete you're free to go about your life in the way the courts see fit. Here we have the public deciding what to do. Maybe we should start a campaign every time someone comes out of prison for them to be ostracised from society too.

Is Britain really that prudish that anyone having sex with another person is "scumbag"? And since when did being a "scumbag" become a crime? And as pointed out, when you commit a crime you're given a punishment by the courts and once it's complete you're free to go about your life in the way the courts see fit. Here we have the public deciding what to do. Maybe we should start a campaign every time someone comes out of prison for them to be ostracised from society too.

If it had been a speedway rider, he'd be ostracised by many - especially on forums like this - even if he wasn't found guilty!!! :mad::wink:

• Like 1

It's not about him having sex thou it's the way he went about it plus the fact he had a girlfriend etc etc . I agree he should be allowed to fit back into society thou after he done his time thou his stance about being not guilty what is fair enough and understandable if he is will not help him to play football any time soon by the looks of it .

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Having sex with someone isn't a crime. Rape is, and he was found guilty of it. I don't think the description 'scumbag' in such circumstances is an unreasonable one, and I suspect that many would probably use something a lot stronger.

I think E I Addio is spot on. Its fair point that he's served his time so he should be able to start again, but I can very much understand why people deeply object to having a convicted rapist in such a high profile profession.

• Like 1

Having sex with someone isn't a crime. Rape is, and he was found guilty of it. I don't think the description 'scumbag' in such circumstances is an unreasonable one, and I suspect that many would probably use something a lot stronger.

I used the word scumbag for the way he acted not that he was found guilty of rape as I don't think he should have been found guilty there a big difference .. that's what Scb was replying to .

As Orion has already pointed out its not the rape it's the way he went about it. Call it what you like, prudish, hypocritical, double standards , fair, unfair, or whatever, the bottom line is that ultimately the public pay his wages and they decide, however fsir or unfair that decision is, and anyone who serves the public needs to keep on the right side of public opinion. Even his companion , McDonald who was found not guilty is complaining that the trial has adversely afected his career. These people are happy to accept the accolades when public opinion puts them on a pedestal , they can't really complain when the public knock them down . Fair or unfair doesn't come into it. Evans himself said that playing professional football is a rare and exceptional privilege. If he doesn't keep his nose clean and keep out of trouble he only has himself to blame if he gets on the wrong side of public opinion.

On the other side of the coin, I was walking through the underpass at South Kensington station a couple of years ago and I heard this woman busker singing with a really fantastic voice. She was far better than the dross on X-Factor but she wasn't very photogenic and public opinion says female singers have to look a bit sexy, so there she was busking while better looking worse singers earn a fortune. Not fair, just the way public opinion goes.

• Like 1

If it had been a speedway rider, he'd be ostracised by many - especially on forums like this - even if he wasn't found guilty!!! :mad::wink:

He'd be guilty if he rode for Poole.. :wink:

• Like 1

On the other side of the coin, I was walking through the underpass at South Kensington station a couple of years ago and I heard this woman busker singing with a really fantastic voice. She was far better than the dross on X-Factor but she wasn't very photogenic and public opinion says female singers have to look a bit sexy, so there she was busking while better looking worse singers earn a fortune. Not fair, just the way public opinion goes.

Not sure I agree with that statement as Susan Boyle seems to have done pretty well for herself as a dowdy middle aged woman when she started out on 'Britain's Got Talent'. :D

Not sure I agree with that statement as Susan Boyle seems to have done pretty well for herself as a dowdy middle aged woman when she started out on 'Britain's Got Talent'. :D

The exception that proves the rule. She stands out as the only dowdy spinster in stark contrast to most of the others who spend a fortune on image, including all kinds of plastic surgery to try to fight back the advancing years. Plus Susan Boyle would never have made it on her own merit without the right media packaging that came with Cowell and the X-factor. Generally speaking fickle public opinion demands looks ahead of talent.

• Like 1