British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

More On The Decline Of British Speedway

I think this thread proves that the decline of British Speedway is entirely down to the tactical rules, remove them immediately and see the sport soar to unprecedented heights!

you don't have to remove them,,, just forget about runninig a league, have loads of cup's and local derby trophies :-)

I think this thread proves that the decline of British Speedway is entirely down to the tactical rules, remove them immediately and see the sport soar to unprecedented heights!

Not entirely no.

It certainly doesn't help though does it?

To be honest much as I hate the rule I think it has next to no effect on crowd levels.

This discussion has done exactly what the BSPA are accused of on here and is all about minor tinkering with the sport that will make no real difference. It's really drastic change that would be needed to turn the sport around if that is even possible. The trouble is, like promoters, we are all too close to the sport to actually know what will attract new blood.

• Like 3

To be honest much as I hate the rule I think it has next to no effect on crowd levels.

This discussion has done exactly what the BSPA are accused of on here and is all about minor tinkering with the sport that will make no real difference. It's really drastic change that would be needed to turn the sport around if that is even possible. The trouble is, like promoters, we are all too close to the sport to actually know what will attract new blood.

It's cost them me - and I know it has cost others too.

Looking back at old magazines, picture, matches on DVD, the images prod a magical time that from our sleeping pasts and, let's be honest, they are feelings we will never ever get back.

The recent Speedway Star pieces on the olden days, for example, the Ipswich piece, the Larry Ross tribute, they are great stories because it was a great time for the sport, even though at the time it was possibly not as great as it once was before (if you compared it with 30 years before).

The Ipswich feature in this week's Star, the photo of proper team unity will be something that is hard to navigate back to.

Perhaps we should burn all the old images and things of speedway's past; save the children that are coming up on the terraces today from noticing, it never gets better than those first few years.

Edited by moxey63

maybe speedway needs to move into the 21st century,,, and the fans to move out of the 19th ;-)

• Like 3

maybe speedway needs to move into the 21st century,,, and the fans to move out of the 19th ;-)

That would be a start... But, as you know.. "The old days were better" :rolleyes:

By 1929 Speedway used to be better!

That would be a start... But, as you know.. "The old days were better" :rolleyes:

yeah, but that's only cos I'm getting older, (and grumpier) :-(

• Like 2

Managed to blag a ticket to Twickenham yesterday and sat with a couple of freelance journalists. I mentioned that I follow speedway and they both remembered Peter Collins, Ivan Mauger and watching World of Sport etc

I asked why don't they take an interest now and both said that the facilities were tired and run down and not what they expected in this day and age. They followed up by saying that all sport relies on sponsorship and speedway would be unlikely to get the high value sponsors unless things were smartened up.

For point of reference let's look at Exeter Rugby. They shared the County Ground with the Falcons until 2005 but since moving to a brand new facility a stones throw from the M5 they have gone from strength to strength. Sadly, the famous Falcons remain grounded.

I hate the T/R double points rule, it gives the score line an unrealistic slant if a team pulls out an 8-1 so sky insist we keep it to keep the scores close. Well why is it just speedway that has to have a close scoreline? We see many football matches that are over by half time why not manipulate football so we dont get any 4-0 5-0 or 6-0 games same can be said for both codes of rugby. Why is it just speedway is being manipulated ? I actually went to a meeting at Somerset last season and the rebels won by a landslide but there was some excellent racing, going back to the football comparison some 0-0 games are dire so having a close scoreline doent always reflect the entertainment value.

• Like 3

i have never understood why a close score means a good meeting

good racing makes a good meeting, the score is irrelevant

i have seen loads od meetings at Sheffield when we were top of the league, where we thrashed teams, but the racing was very good and it was entertainment at its best, and i have seen the complete opposit, close scores rubbish racing

• Like 4

Rugby Union's IRB show how to promote the sport. I love watching the Rugby test matches, and the Rugby World Cup. This is what I miss most in Speedway. When was the last time that ENGLAND (not the bloodless "Team GB") rode in an official Speedway Test Match? A long time ago.

Why don't we have a proper Speedway World Cup with team vs team matches instead of a four-team-tournament? This is poor.

Not so long ago, Speedway used to enjoy the same popularity as Rugby Union, but look at the difference now.

• Like 1

Rugby Union's IRB show how to promote the sport. I love watching the Rugby test matches, and the Rugby World Cup. This is what I miss most in Speedway. When was the last time that ENGLAND (not the bloodless "Team GB") rode in an official Speedway Test Match? A long time ago.

Why don't we have a proper Speedway World Cup with team vs team matches instead of a four-team-tournament? This is poor.

Not so long ago, Speedway used to enjoy the same popularity as Rugby Union, but look at the difference now.

A very good question that.

Perhaps they cannot have proper World Cup/Test Matches because most Countries probably would not be able to field a Team of seven competitive Riders.

You can include England in that too - sadly.

Perhaps they cannot have proper World Cup/Test Matches because most Countries probably would not be able to field a Team of seven competitive Riders.

Not a very good question ..it's a simple question of cost .. Test matches are not run anymore for the simple fact that the crowds don't make them pay .the same would apply to a World Cup trying to use a test match format with 7 riders .