British Speedway Forum

Scunthorpe Resign

PRESS RELEASE:::

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

SCUNTHORPE RESIGN FROM NATIONAL LEAGUE
Following a poor year financially, Scunthorpe Speedway has taken the decision to focus all efforts on their Premier League side for 2015.

Unfortunately it will mean the resignation of their development side from the National League but, with promoter Rob Godfrey giving the club twelve months to turn things around, every possible measure is being taken.

The decision will see sponsors for the National League side switch over to the Scorpions, who operate in the second tier of British Speedway, whilst there will greater focus on running regular Friday night meetings.

Godfrey admitted the decision had been made with a heavy heart but admitted the only other alternative considered was not running either speedway team.

He said: “A year ago we had a health bank balance and everything looked rosy. We were optimistic about the future and able to commit to a youth development programme through our National League side. However, due to a number of factors we have had an ‘Annus Horibilis’, as the Queen once said, and we can’t afford for it to be repeated.

“Whilst I knew it had been a bad year for the speedway, the full horror of things really only became apparent a couple of weeks ago and I really thought about not running the Scorpions next year. However, I’d announced the fans that we would run next year and I really didn’t want to go back on that.

“I’ve got some great people helping me analyse what we need to do and we have plans.

“We have some plans for cost effective promotion and I believe running regular Friday night meetings will make a difference. I had quite a lot of people come to the track on a Friday night last year, when we were running on a Sunday, because they had got into a routine. With the exception of the bank holiday meetings I want to run Friday nights and also hope the sport can avoid running in March and October.

“The weather is often cold in those months and I’d much prefer the regular season to finish in August and for the play-offs to be in September. Nobody gets a crowd in October so I don’t understand why the sport insists on running that late”, Godfrey said.

“Naturally I am upset about the Stags side and gutted for Richard Hollingsworth who had put so much into running them. He had certainly put the building blocks in place for it to go from strength-to-strength and we had already seen it produce some quality assets.

“Sam Chapman and Arron Mogridge have already shown they have a bright future, whilst Ellis Perks was another who came in at the end of the season and was very impressive. There are others too who show promise and will almost certainly kick-on after their debut season. Other clubs will benefit from them next year but just maybe we can return to the National League at a later date.

“I’m delighted that Richard and his wife, Anne, have agreed to continue their excellent work with the amateur meetings and second halves. They, along with John and Anne Eyre from Sheffield, Dan Palmer, Pete Hibberd and the Kent Crew really are devoted to developing riders and the success of their amateur meetings and practices does mean they are a valuable income stream to the club.

“For now we have to focus on the positives. We have a year to prove that 2014 was a one-off and professional speedway is sustainable in Scunthorpe. We have a race track that provides probably the best racing in the country and we have enthusiastic group of people doing all they can to help the club”, Godfrey concluded.

Edited by Guest

Let's hope the news about Scunthorpe and now it appears a question mark over Heathens does not have a ripple effect on the 2015 plans for the National League.

Nigel Pearson has said the Heathens didnt cover expences in 2014,I think this is not only about the NL but British Speedway in general, its a worrying time for some promoters, and supporters.

Extremely gutting. I suspect that the major players will all get fixed up anyway thanks to their years experience. If I was a betting man I suspect

Moggo - Eastbourne

Verge - Lakeside

Chapman - Mildenhall (Devon if they run)

Perks - Whoever can sign him first (providing he comes back over)

The other northern lads have possibilities at Buxton

Either way I think having the benefit of a year will see them fixed up even though it is sad to see the Stags fold after just a year.

Nigel Pearson has said the Heathens didnt cover expences in 2014,I think this is not only about the NL but British Speedway in general, its a worrying time for some promoters, and supporters.

You're kidding surely? £10 a point. So they were scoring 60 home and away so thats 120 points to be paid for from each home meeting. Thats £1,200. Each full paying adults makes the club £9 after VAT so thats only 133 adults. We're constantly told crowds everyone else would be envious of so 2,000 people, allow for some kids and concessins thats £12,000 a meeting. Where is the other £10,800 a meeting going? Rent, insurance.... Then what? Thats without taking into account any money earned from sponsorship and merchandise.

Cradley is a license to print money the last few years.

You're kidding surely? £10 a point. So they were scoring 60 home and away so thats 120 points to be paid for from each home meeting. Thats £1,200. Each full paying adults makes the club £9 after VAT so thats only 133 adults. We're constantly told crowds everyone else would be envious of so 2,000 people, allow for some kids and concessins thats £12,000 a meeting. Where is the other £10,800 a meeting going? Rent, insurance.... Then what? Thats without taking into account any money earned from sponsorship and merchandise.

Cradley is a license to print money the last few years.

I highly doubt cradley were paying 10 a point. but i still dont believe that they lost money last year.

I have never read such contemptable utter rubbish. If the Heathens did not cover their expenses then how much were they paying their riders?

• Like 1

I have never read such contemptable utter rubbish. If the Heathens did not cover their expenses then how much were they paying their riders?

I think Pearson's statement says it all really.

Extremely gutting. I suspect that the major players will all get fixed up anyway thanks to their years experience. If I was a betting man I suspect

Moggo - Eastbourne

Verge - Lakeside

Chapman - Mildenhall (Devon if they run)

Perks - Whoever can sign him first (providing he comes back over)

The other northern lads have possibilities at Buxton

Either way I think having the benefit of a year will see them fixed up even though it is sad to see the Stags fold after just a year.

Those possible new homes for Scunthorpe Stags riders in 2015: it will be interesting to see what develops.

Edited by Guest

As long as there are sufficient teams to facilitate a decent no. of juniors coming through the stags won't be missed. However, there does seem to be a dearth of NL sides in the north. All northern based PL sides should be obliged to support an MDL side in lieu

As long as there are sufficient teams to facilitate a decent no. of juniors coming through the stags won't be missed. However, there does seem to be a dearth of NL sides in the north. All northern based PL sides should be obliged to support an MDL side in lieu

Forum rule regarding sensible posts duly broken

Take 500 lines

Commonsense has no place In British Speedway

• Like 1

There is a Northern Junior League run after PL matches, glad to say Berwick has a healthy junior set up at the moment.

I would like to see it compulsory for all clubs to run junior meetings after EL / PL meetings now, firstly to increase the number of young riders in the country and also provide the spectators with more racing. There are a surprisingly high number of spectators who stay behind to watch the junior racing at Berwick.

• Like 3