British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
semion

Yarmouth Speedway

Thanx for posting semion-I enjoyed reading about it-is the stadium still there or has it ben demolished?

The stadium is still thriving, Bobbath. And what's more they still have hot rod and banger racing there, so the old speedway track is still there as well, though now sadly covered with tarmac.

Edited by norbold

Thanx for posting semion-I enjoyed reading about it-is the stadium still there or has it ben demolished?

The stadium is still thriving, Bobbath. And what's more they still have hot rod and banger racing there, so the old speedway track is still there as well, though now sadly covered with tarmac.

Yarmouth is promoted by Spedeworth who have provided so much improvement to the amenities at Ipswich where they have been landlords for many years.

Yarmouth is promoted by Spedeworth who have provided so much improvement to the amenities at Ipswich where they have been landlords for many years.

Speedworth do not own Yarmouth stadium nor do they own Foxhall Stadium. The Foxhall stadium is owned by Ipswich Speedway Limited and is leased to Speedworth

Speedworth do not own Yarmouth stadium nor do they own Foxhall Stadium. The Foxhall stadium is owned by Ipswich Speedway Limited and is leased to Speedworth

I have not claimed that Spedeworth own either Yarmouth or Ipswich. I am not sure of their tenancy agreement with Yarmouth, but my understanding in regard to Ipswich that Spedeworth have a very long-term agreement there and do in fact lease out the present speedway rights.

For all that, I am prepared to be corrected on Spedeworth's Foxhall Heath status but it is interesting to see their investment in improvements at Foxhall Heath. This then indicates my opinion in regard to the speedway being Spedeworth's tenants and therefore allowing Witches to enjoy thei implemented improvements. And I understand there is a promise of more to come.

I think you will also find that the Ipswich Speedway Limited who own the freehold on the venue are nothing to do with the present promotion but could be a company established when speedway first came to Foxhall Heath in the early 1950s.

Edited by Guest

In fact Foxhall is now owned by the Company who bought the Stock Car business from Spedeworth.(Les Eaton and sons)... Not too sure of the guy's name but he now owns Foxhall. Years ago John berry spent a great deal of money and time trying to unravel the ownership, and the subsequent children etc of the original Directors. he got to within 80% of sorting the various trails...but like many factors, he simply decided that teh time/money involved wasn't worth the effort.

Nothing at Foxhall is permanent...you could bulldoze the lot in about 3 days, I do believe that this was always the pre-requisit of the original lease.

Of course it would fetch ZILLIONS if they could get planning for housing.

In fact Foxhall is now owned by the Company who bought the Stock Car business from Spedeworth.(Les Eaton and sons)... Not too sure of the guy's name but he now owns Foxhall. Years ago John berry spent a great deal of money and time trying to unravel the ownership, and the subsequent children etc of the original Directors. he got to within 80% of sorting the various trails...but like many factors, he simply decided that teh time/money involved wasn't worth the effort.

Nothing at Foxhall is permanent...you could bulldoze the lot in about 3 days, I do believe that this was always the pre-requisit of the original lease.

Of course it would fetch ZILLIONS if they could get planning for housing.

The company sold by the late Les Eaton and his sons was to a former driver Dean Wood. He still has the main offices at Aldershot and the company is still known as Spedeworth.

It's quite a major promoting enterprise as you will see if you work your way though their website. You will see that Yarmouth - in the title thread - get a mention along with other tracks under VENUES.

http://www.spedeworth.co.uk/

Yarmouth here - http://www.spedeworth.co.uk/venue.php?name=Yarmouth

and this is Ipswich here - http://www.spedeworth.co.uk/venue.php?name=Ipswich

Venues
Edited by Guest