British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

Issue for the customer may be that pzm hold off any pay out until any action against bsi is settled.

Do fim appoint the meeting officials and if so do bsi have any opportunity to counterclaim citing precedence of meetings completed on worse surfaces (I assume they don't have any such option but maybe someone can confirm). Of course we also don't know yet how accurate the pzm state ment is and whether their contract with bsi precludes them from seeking liquidated damages in any case.

Wonder when bsi will make a statement. Before or after Darcy?

• Like 1

Absolute ******* debacle but can we blame temporary tracks laid in National stadia?. Wembley did it perfectly for decades don't forget.

To paraphrase Nigel Farage..."It's time to take our Speedway back".

I believe Wembley had a permanent track and at one time a team. Got to agree it was a farce lucky I was out and recorded it. It was dreadful just shuffling through!

Absolute ******* debacle but can we blame temporary tracks laid in National stadia?. Wembley did it perfectly for decades don't forget".

No Wembley didn't. There was A brilliant track when Len Silver and Peter Thorogood did it in 1981 but they did it as a Labour of love and really put the work in but before that track prep varied year to year, sometimes good sometimes not so good. The main difference is that in those days the two valve and even four valve engines did not dig the sort of ruts that the modern lay- downs create, and that seems to have got worse with the silencer changes in the last couple of years.

However, according to Len Silvers book he was working on the track until the early hours of the morning of the Wednesday before the 1981 World Final, then slept in his car until 8am and went back to work with Peter Thorogood continuously packing and re-grading in for 10 hours. Then after practice day they went back again on race day and spent all day re-packing and re-grading once again, right up until the turnstiles opened. In other words they did all the things that the money grabbing Ole Olsen should have been doing last week.

• Like 2

Absolute ******* debacle but can we blame temporary tracks laid in National stadia?. Wembley did it perfectly for decades don't forget.

To paraphrase Nigel Farage..."It's time to take our Speedway back".

The track at Wembley in 1975 was terrible. Some people even reckoned it cost Peter Collins a chance of winning.

Oh, and guess who did end up winning!

Edited by grachan
  • Like 3

According to this article http://www.thenews.pl/1/2/Artykul/204033,Speedway-competition-cancelled-halfway PZM's contract with BSI states that Speed Sport (Olsen) has to oversee the track prep.

“PZMot as the organizer has made every effort to ensure that this event abided to the highest standards. We had been in talks with the Danish company BSI [benfield Sports International] for over two years. The contract forced us to take on Speed Sport owned by [former Speedway champion] Ole Olsen, to oversee the organisation and the technical aspects of the track. Unfortunately, we witnessed many problems,” PZMot deputy head Michał Sikora told a press conference.

It would seem that PZM have a case to take legal action against BSI, therefore don't expect BSI to make any statement.

Edited by pugwash

No Wembley didn't. There was A brilliant track when Len Silver and Peter Thorogood did it in 1981 but they did it as a Labour of love and really put the work in but before that track prep varied year to year, sometimes good sometimes not so good. The main difference is that in those days the two valve and even four valve engines did not dig the sort of ruts that the modern lay- downs create, and that seems to have got worse with the silencer changes in the last couple of years.

However, according to Len Silvers book he was working on the track until the early hours of the morning of the Wednesday before the 1981 World Final, then slept in his car until 8am and went back to work with Peter Thorogood continuously packing and re-grading in for 10 hours. Then after practice day they went back again on race day and spent all day re-packing and re-grading once again, right up until the turnstiles opened. In other words they did all the things that the money grabbing Ole Olsen should have been doing last week.

Not often I agree with Addio but I do on this one, the rubbish track is down to Olsen and he should carry the can, not for the first time either.

According to this article http://www.thenews.pl/1/2/Artykul/204033,Speedway-competition-cancelled-halfway PZM's contract with BSI states that Speed Sport (Olsen) has to oversee the track prep.

“PZMot as the organizer has made every effort to ensure that this event abided to the highest standards. We had been in talks with the Danish company BSI [benfield Sports International] for over two years. The contract forced us to take on Speed Sport owned by [former Speedway champion] Ole Olsen, to oversee the organisation and the technical aspects of the track. Unfortunately, we witnessed many problems,” PZMot deputy head Michał Sikora told a press conference.

It would seem that PZM have a case to take legal action against BSI, therefore don't expect BSI to make any statement.

Does an a apology count as a statement still they might not have time at the moment as they are busy sweeping everything under the carpet

Sometimes you just want someone to hold their hands up and say 'Sorry, we made a mistake, we will get it right next time'. Whilst that does not compensate the fans who paid to travel, it would at least acknowledge the fact they recognise things went wrong.

• Like 2

Well back in the office after an "interesting" 4 days away in Warsaw.

Sadly it looks like it will be my last GP for a while. Took my other half to Bydgoszcz last year promising him an amazing weekend, it turned into a damp weekend literally with the rain and the stadium being a quarter empty. A year on and he forgot about that and came along to Warsaw. On returning to our hotel after the fiasco that was Saturday, his comment was "sorry, I really don't get speedway and why you want to come and watch this". Who can argue with that?

After enjoying the fan village for a while we headed to the stadium, it was fantastic to see so many fans and a sold out stadium...we were excited about what lay ahead. Fast forward 2 hours and we are sat in a freezing cold stadium trying to look up facebook and forums to understand what is going on as the crowd are left in the dark. An annoucement comes over in polish...we ask around what it means, only to be told a decision hasn't been made yet. Half an hour later they announce in Polish there will be no more racing!

Ok so I am no expert on tracks (i purely go to watch the racing) and I understand comments that it seemed unsafe. To my untrained eye it looked rideable and many were going round. You couldn't make up the debacle with the tapes and it was really embarassing explaining to my other half the issue, it makes speedway look so amateurish!

My big gripe with the night was the communication. We sat for hours in the cold not knowing what was going on, or why? Even when it was cancelled we were not given a reason and so to the spectator it looked like it was because the riders could not manage to start on a green light!!!

To then have the riders come out and do a parade was the final straw (i posted a video onto FB for anyone that wants to see this) and we, along with many thousand Poles left the stadium dejected. The fans were a credit that they did not react worse! Very sad that my many years of going to the GP's will end on such a sad note.

Edited by Super Nicki P
  • Like 4

Sometimes you just want someone to hold their hands up and say 'Sorry, we made a mistake, we will get it right next time'. Whilst that does not compensate the fans who paid to travel, it would at least acknowledge the fact they recognise things went wrong.

Have they not said that before??!

• Like 2

No one doubts they got it wrong, but nowhere near wrong enough to even consider abandoning the meeting.

As for starting using a light on light off method, well formula 1, moto GP etc seem to manage without it being a mega problem. It really shouldn't have been a big deal, you come under orders and go when tapes go or when light goes out in this case, just get on with it.

The damage Saturday has done will come home to roost in due course. For my part I was undecided as to whether to do Cardiff this year and I now think Sat has decided for me. I don't want to take the chance of a rider revolt and the meeting being abandoned so I don't think I will bother.

Edited by Oldace
  • Like 1

He'll be awaiting orders from BSI towers on how they can possibly put a positive spin on this debacle, or at least blame someone else... :P

HOW wrong you are ... but believe what you will.

the riders have held a meeting this morning ,and have outlined their requirements before racing commences at the next GP . they have explained cleal;ry the standards they are prepared to accept and had a visual display created of what it should look like .. Here's a sneak previtable_zpsjogdtpwe.jpgew

• Like 3

the riders have held a meeting this morning ,and have outlined their requirements before racing commences at the next GP . they have explained cleal;ry the standards they are prepared to accept and had a visual display created of what it should look like .. Here's a sneak preview

Look no stands :)

Niamh

No one doubts they got it wrong, but nowhere near wrong enough to even consider abandoning the meeting.

As for starting using a light on light off method, well formula 1, moto GP etc seem to manage without it being a mega problem. It really shouldn't have been a big deal, you come under orders and go when tapes go or when light goes out in this case, just get on with it.

The damage Saturday has done will come home to roost in due course. For my part I was undecided as to whether to do Cardiff this year and I now think Sat has decided for me. I don't want to take the chance of a rider revolt and the meeting being abandoned so I don't think I will bother.

Spot on. I normally plan one of my trips to England to tie in with Cardiff.

It is all now booked, and Cardiff is not on the agenda.

It has nothing to do with track preparation, we ALL know the temporary tracks will get the odd rut here and there and that is all this particular track had (in fact I have still only seen 1 mentioned and Batchelor was nowhere near it when he came off the 2nd time, 1st time he rode into back of rider in front).

No, I am not going because I am disgusted at the actions of the riders. They were a disgrace and had little intention of completing the meeting the moment it went to a green light.

In fact part of me is beginning to wonder if there isn't more to this than meets the eye...

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2