British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

I forgot - you never make a mistake do you? :rofl: :rofl:

When did I say otherwise ?

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Who said I was jesting? Didn't necessarily mean formal semaphore but coloured lollipops on sticks were used for years in speedway and as say hand signals are widely used, even to landing planes/helicopters on ships

Have seen riders use hand signals to the ref a few times, not sure if it means he is in gate two or is the two min on :shock:

• Like 6

ONE thing that hasn't been given much of an airing is the effect that Saturday morning practice had on the track. It was quite understandable that the FIM, PZM and BSI, let alone the riders, wanted to test the track, much of which had been relaid overnight from Friday.

However, a full session even though riders now have four runs of two minutes instead of six at one and a half, is the equivalent of 24 heats. To the best of my knowledge there were few complaints about the track then which begs the question had there been no practice would the meeting have been completed without any track issues?

It does make me wonder if any practise is required. Zagar didn't practise and he won the non event.

Maybe BSI could employ an ex rider with proven experience who has the trust of the riders to test the track midweek and on the eve of the meeting. The ex rider could be appointed by the GP riders to give confidence of impartiality..

This would give less wear on the temporary track and maybe a better surface. But others would know better than me if that would work..

• Like 1

Employ? I'm told the the starting gate staff don't get paid at Cardiff, can you believe that!?

Employ? I'm told the the starting gate staff don't get paid at Cardiff, can you believe that!?

Yes I can, most staff at a GP are non-paid volunteers.

It does make me wonder if any practise is required. Zagar didn't practise and he won the non event.

Maybe BSI could employ an ex rider with proven experience who has the trust of the riders to test the track midweek and on the eve of the meeting. The ex rider could be appointed by the GP riders to give confidence of impartiality..

This would give less wear on the temporary track and maybe a better surface. But others would know better than me if that would work..

Darcy Ward perhaps? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ;):P

Maybe BSI could employ an ex rider with proven experience

Darcy Ward perhaps? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ;):P

He's more of an 'off-duty' rider.

• Like 2

He's more of an 'off-duty' rider.

Just what we need. We need more off-duty officials, they seem to get better results. In fact, you can ask Darcy Ward about this.

• Like 3

How can a company that is putting on the top meeting in the speedway world, who are using stadiums that are not fit to be used for the meetings, be called a profetional company.

From all the mastakes that we saw happen last Saturday, it is well time that the company was wound up and a new one took over the running of the GP series. A company that knows about speedway and knows how to run a speedway meeting. A company that would use modern technoligy to let the riders know what is going on and also the refree.

What we saw was a total shambles, from a company that only goes out to make as much money from the events with little or no thought what so ever for the the paying public, to see top class racing from some of the worlds top clas stadiums.

Or haven't they got any stadiums in the world that are good enough to use, without going to the expense of wasting money on these useless tracks that are laid a week or less before the meeting takes place. I am sure they are far better stadiums out there than having to have to put up, watching meetings from the total rubbish tracks that they are putting meetings on from.

They should know better.

• Like 2

A few seasons ago there were issues with the start gate and for the next few rounds they had someone watching to ensure the tapes rose evenly...but that was forgotten about after a few rounds of perfect tapes and so the next time there is a problem we are faced with the complete farce we saw on Saturday night.

Just what we need. We need more off-duty officials, they seem to get better results. In fact, you can ask Darcy Ward about this.

Maybe the off-duty policeman could officiate as a 'tape watcher' when he has finished with the breath testing.

• Like 1

Yes I can, most staff at a GP are non-paid volunteers.

OMG that is shocking, joke or what?

I guess the reason they have gps in superb stadium with roofs is to eliminate the rained off scenario but surely after all these years at least the basics should now be in place. A good well prepared race track ,a starting gate that works & a top referee are a must BUT thing that drives me crazy is the length of time speedway takes these days. Why oh bloody why are riders allowed to fart around after a false start etc IMO they should be made to start again immediately. How long should a gp take 2 hours tops? Despite my moan I am still going to cardiff & torun

OMG that is shocking, joke or what?

Why is that so shocking?

It's pretty standard for volunteers to work at motorsports events. It even happens at F1 events...

• Like 1

Why is that so shocking?

It's pretty standard for volunteers to work at motorsports events. It even happens at F1 events...

Aren't a lot of the match day staff at premier league football also unpaid?
  • Like 1