British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

[...]

Nice find. So apperently all the GP's have different ticket TOC's ;)

Practice was fine, the riders practiced Saturday morning and said there were no issues with the track.

The starts were fair for all, in fact they were the fairest starts we have seen in any GP! Bar Doyles exclusion every rider was sat perfectly still... so you are almost right, but have it twisted.. the issue was the starts WERE fair.. the advantage that some seek to gain was gone.

yes the starts were fair for all..... but the starts werent normal and the guy who does not adapt is dead in the water..............

Fridays practice was not fine at all and clearly the riders were unhappy............. I think we can roughly imagine the conversations that were taking place between riders and officials and the promises being made about the track improving

There is no doubt that they should have carried on and completed the meeting and at that point didnt have enough of an argument ............... but I think it is fair to say that it was not the 'normal' night of racing that most of them would have wanted in Rd1................. unfortunately they were allowed to pull rider power, if they had been dealt with better they would have had a reminder that adapting could be the key word in any round........... as others have mentioned we also have issues with what constitutes a dangerous surface now

I tend to feel that this was the most important point of the lot.

The green light starts worked well, they were fair.

But way way TOO fair.

They were different from the 'ordinary' for ALL riders.

Comfort zones were compromised.

The lack of steel (or too much Steele and Lawrence) in the jury.

That's not fair.

Not fair on us.

100% it was the issue... . hence the big delay earlier in the meeting.

No doubt they then found out if they got to Heat 12 the result would stand.. and that's what they did.

However the riders know they would look like complete prats if they came out and gave that as their reason for not continuing.. so they went behind closed doors, shut up shop until they had concocted their story. Dangerous track should work well! That'll convince the lackeys.

And so it has.

• Like 1

Nice find. So apperently all the GP's have different ticket TOC's ;)

I thought it was weird we were quoted UK law at the briefings on both days... But it was a PZM event and tickets were sold by Kupbilet, so different set of rules. Or might be.

e that was just carried out

imo the day people stop apologising is the day they are arrogant or entitled Humphrey

Silly comment - try reading people's posts properly.

Who has suggested that BSI are not responsible or shouldn't be called to account, but far too many people today run around demanding apologies that are meaningless. I couldn't care less what BSI say, or what damage limitation they try to do - they clearly do not learn lessons from their mistakes or lack of supervision, or they're simply not up to the job required.

So any explanations for this joke yet any apologies or names being touted to blame?

So any explanations for this joke yet any apologies or names being touted to blame?

Greg and Nicki weren't winning.

• Like 1

Even without all the problems, a GP meeting is far too slow moving.

Why, when there is a simple false start, do the riders not go straight back to the tapes? Why are they allowed to go back to the pits and start fiddling around with their bikes , and then a new 2 minute timer starts? They should be given something like 45 seconds to get back to the tapes, and not allowed back to the pits.

Likewise with a 1st bend faller. When they are clear from the track and everything is deemed OK with the air fence etc, the other riders should be ready to go straight away.

I lost count exactly, but it took something like 90 minutes for about 7 or 8 heats. Not all of that was down to the starting gate nonsence.

Why, given the prolonged nature of Saturdays meeting, was there still a track grading break after the first and second round of heats. Surely the grading could have been done whilst the whole meeting was delayed due tot he other issues?

Why would anyone other than a hardcore speedway fan sit thorough that on TV? I always let the meeting run for an hour before watching it on catch up, so I can fast forward through all the pointless delays. Watching the whole thing live on Satuday would have been purgetory.

It does all need to speed up and I dont see why 2 mins is needed after unsatisfactory start..... 1 min at most........... maybe the general delays were due to a new race director and he will improve

the track grading I believe is firmly set out in the FIM regulations

Which brings me back to the point of there being more to this than meets the eye.

If the track truly was so dangerous, as said we would all have seen it. The commentators would have seen it. Tatum, Nicholls even Pearson would have noticed it. Yet they hadn't even remotely considered the possibility that the meeting was going to get called off.

Had it been so dangerous I am sure there would have been an immediate apology as well.

However, when you have a situation where suddenly riders are refusing to ride on a perfectly raceable track where does that leave the organisers? Point the finger at the riders and this is going to happen again... remember, there is another company lurking, waiting to muscle in on the scene... certain riders have already effectively jumped ship..

So basically they are left in a situation of having to try and apologise and take the flak for something that they haven't caused. They didn't cancel the meeting. The riders went on strike.,

im agreeing with a lot of what you are saying bwitcher but I do think it was a case of 'raceable at that point' more than 'perfectly raceable' .... and that the track was disintegrating faster than we usually see ................... the riders were the final nail in the coffin, but all involved seemed to play their part and maybe if just one of the issues had been dealt with smoothly we wouldnt have seen the end result.

BSI farmed it out to PZM ...... they forced them to use speed sport ....... already this covers the track build and the tapes......... and for that they should most definitely be holding their hands up

Edited by spook

Why are people saying there has been no apology?

BSI have apologised to fans in their statement on www.speedwaygp.com and are 'understanding of the FIM Jury's decision to declare the meeting'.

It seems clear that further investigations are taking place - but whether fans will ever get the full story, rather than whatever the different players decide to give the media - will remain to be seen.

yes the starts were fair for all..... but the starts werent normal and the guy who does not adapt is dead in the water..............

Fridays practice was not fine at all and clearly the riders were unhappy............. I think we can roughly imagine the conversations that were taking place between riders and officials and the promises being made about the track improving

There is no doubt that they should have carried on and completed the meeting and at that point didnt have enough of an argument ............... but I think it is fair to say that it was not the 'normal' night of racing that most of them would have wanted in Rd1................. unfortunately they were allowed to pull rider power, if they had been dealt with better they would have had a reminder that adapting could be the key word in any round........... as others have mentioned we also have issues with what constitutes a dangerous surface now

I heard from a Polish lad that i work with on Friday, that there had been problems with the track.Maybe promises were made to the riders that thing's would improve who knows.?

I heard from a Polish lad that i work with on Friday, that there had been problems with the track.Maybe promises were made to the riders that thing's would improve who knows.?

There were problems in practice on Friday Sid. Overnight work was then done, the riders practiced on Saturday morning and all said it was fine.

Well it appears you might be. It may have escaped your notice but the riders are not the ones who have been shafted here. They were given a superb venue and a perfectly adequate (going by the way they raced on it I would say pretty good, but we will stick with adequate) track on which to ply their trade yet for some inexplicable reason they elected to stage a mass walkout.

Starting by green light can't be the reason, it is a minor inconvenience but nothing more. The race track was fine so what was the agenda ?

As it stands, although I hope the riders are severely punished and at the very least lose any prize monies from this event, these clowns haven't lost out on anything with their antics. The riders almost certainly won't be gagged, in fact they are probably now realizing the seriousness of what they have done and are keeping schtumm in case legal action is instigated.

What about those who may have wanted to continue to race? Or are you suggesting that 'Bomber' wanted the Meeting off? I would seriously doubt if he did - he was doing great. You should not penalise the innocent (I know I am assuming here) with the guilty.

Even without all the problems, a GP meeting is far too slow moving.

Why, when there is a simple false start, do the riders not go straight back to the tapes? Why are they allowed to go back to the pits and start fiddling around with their bikes , and then a new 2 minute timer starts? They should be given something like 45 seconds to get back to the tapes, and not allowed back to the pits.

Likewise with a 1st bend faller. When they are clear from the track and everything is deemed OK with the air fence etc, the other riders should be ready to go straight away.

I lost count exactly, but it took something like 90 minutes for about 7 or 8 heats. Not all of that was down to the starting gate nonsence.

Why, given the prolonged nature of Saturdays meeting, was there still a track grading break after the first and second round of heats. Surely the grading could have been done whilst the whole meeting was delayed due tot he other issues?

Why would anyone other than a hardcore speedway fan sit thorough that on TV? I always let the meeting run for an hour before watching it on catch up, so I can fast forward through all the pointless delays. Watching the whole thing live on Satuday would have been purgetory.

Not just me then - it cuts out the adverts as well.

I thought it was weird we were quoted UK law at the briefings on both days... But it was a PZM event and tickets were sold by Kupbilet, so different set of rules. Or might be.

hey FSP ......

so that covers their 'right' to cancel ....... but it doesnt cover terms of refunds

Silly comment - try reading people's posts properly.

Who has suggested that BSI are not responsible or shouldn't be called to account, but far too many people today run around demanding apologies that are meaningless. I couldn't care less what BSI say, or what damage limitation they try to do - they clearly do not learn lessons from their mistakes or lack of supervision, or they're simply not up to the job required.

I read your post just fine Humphrey....... it seemed to be quite full of the usual agenda

an apology is not meaningless.... an apology by its very nature is a statement of intent.......... in a situation like this it is the natural opening statement in what is a one way conversation with the viewers/readers...... the fans in the stadium and the fans at home were left in the dark and had been cheated out of normal service.... this is not a situation to stay quiet, consult the lawyers and offer hollow regrets a couple of days later

I am certain that there could be a related discussion here somewhere for you Humphrey, as to whether BSI should still be the license holder or not, but this wasnt what I was talking about

im agreeing with a lot of what you are saying bwitcher but I do think it was a case of 'raceable at that point' more than 'perfectly raceable' ....

I see your point, but as you said earlier, go watch heats 9 through 12 again, try to put to one side what you 'know' and picture it like any other meeting.. you won't see any indication that the meeting is about to be called off, riders are going at it hammer and tongs.

The one who fell, Batchelor, he wasn't fit enough to hold onto the bike anyway, by his own admission.

• Like 1

What about those who may have wanted to continue to race? Or are you suggesting that 'Bomber' wanted the Meeting off? I would seriously doubt if he did - he was doing great. You should not penalise the innocent (I know I am assuming here) with the guilty.

Not just me then - it cuts out the adverts as well.

Those that wanted to race simply had to be ready to race when their next heat came round. If they chose to follow, sheep like, then they are as guilty as the others

• Like 1