British Speedway Forum
Mariusz Dubi

Fundin, Briggs, Moore, Craven

My Mum and Dad were there in the 50's, I didnt get there till the early 60's,and then regular till the late 70's

Only abroad final was 1976, the PC win in Katowice, just grateful I can see his races from that fantastic meeting on You Tube

My Mum and Dad were there in the 50's, I didnt get there till the early 60's,and then regular till the late 70's

Only abroad final was 1976, the PC win in Katowice, just grateful I can see his races from that fantastic meeting on You Tube

I went to that one with T Mills Tours. Told journey would be in modern coach , it was actually in bog standard single decker bus with no bog. Drivers were changed on the go without stopping. Had £5 of Polish money and brought it back with me as there was nothing to buy. No beer at Hotel as a previous coach party had stopped and consumed what stock there was.

I went to that one with T Mills Tours. Told journey would be in modern coach , it was actually in bog standard single decker bus with no bog. Drivers were changed on the go without stopping. Had £5 of Polish money and brought it back with me as there was nothing to buy. No beer at Hotel as a previous coach party had stopped and consumed what stock there was.

No bog standard obviously ... sounds like Tee Mills Tours

There must be plenty of us still around Bob, we're still youngsters really - trapped in older bodies. lol

Yes that was a good night when Knutsson won. Shame Plechanov could not have done the same.

For him, and Boris Samarodov, to come to Wembly and do what they did was remarkable really.

I have no doubt if there had been the GP season then, like now, one of them, at least, would have ended up world champ.

what year/s do u think they would have won?

I seem to recall quite a bit of debate on this topic, and in the end I think the consensus was that plechanov wouldnt have taken a title (era dominated by fundi/briggs until emergence of mauger)

I think he beat Fundin more then a few times at the top meetings. Twice 2nd in the world, Gothenberg and Wembley. Anytime in his peak years which seem to be 1962-67.

How much riding he did in Europe I dont know, maybe not much. Give him the experience of race meetings like a GP rider can get now ie possibly 3 leagues, would improve any ones chances.

Good example the pay back of lack of meetings at top level was Smolinski in 2014. Wins first GP when everyone was rusty, didnt do too bad for a couple GP's after that, but soon as the riders who were racing 3 times a week got into their stride it was over for Smoli.

Coming second in two world finals and a frontrunner for the best rider never to win the title is a pretty good record.

Edited by Split

See a post today from Philip Rising-if that is THE Philip Rising who used to write in the Speedway Star in the sixties, he might be interested in this. Reg Fearman and I are in touch via e-mail, we discuss allsorts (not licorice). Anyway we were bemoaning the decline in standards of written English in UK today. We recalled that the standard of writing in the old Stars for example was nothing like the crap you see nowadays in Britain. I particularly recall Philip's writing. Specifically, the Star 11 Sept 1964-pages 10-11"Meet the Finalists" also Sept 25 1964 "Spotlight on PL Finalists". There were many others but I have kept these issues and am looking at them now. So just a note Philip to let you know how appreciated your literate prose and erudition were-they gave a lot of pleasure to me and no doubt countless others. Good on you and you should know your writing is fondly remembered.

• Like 1

See a post today from Philip Rising-if that is THE Philip Rising who used to write in the Speedway Star in the sixties, he might be interested in this. Reg Fearman and I are in touch via e-mail, we discuss allsorts (not licorice). Anyway we were bemoaning the decline in standards of written English in UK today. We recalled that the standard of writing in the old Stars for example was nothing like the crap you see nowadays in Britain. I particularly recall Philip's writing. Specifically, the Star 11 Sept 1964-pages 10-11"Meet the Finalists" also Sept 25 1964 "Spotlight on PL Finalists". There were many others but I have kept these issues and am looking at them now. So just a note Philip to let you know how appreciated your literate prose and erudition were-they gave a lot of pleasure to me and no doubt countless others. Good on you and you should know your writing is fondly remembered.

Philip Rising is still very much to the forefront in happenings at 'Speedway Star'.

So was it the real Philip who posted..Full confession - I am the real BOBBATH (who he)??

I woz there folks when Knutsson finally won in 1965, reckon if he'd kept going could have won it again.

Were any other forumlanders there at Wembley in 1965-or am I the last survivor!!

1965 Final ?, - Count me in too, ( from '61 on.)

It's beginning to look as though the 1965 final audience was made up entirely of Forumers! ;)

I only went to the 1975 + 1985 finals :party:

It's beginning to look as though the 1965 final audience was made up entirely of Forumers! ;)

Yes they were all the people with the wooden rattles-as per football matches then(what happened to them all-the rattles that is not the forumlanders!!)