British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tenbears

Rooboys Boomerang Invitational

Interesting to read that Wade Aunger was doing race commentary......I've never felt race commentary has ever worked in Britain when it's been occasionally tried.....but I've seen and heard Wade Aunger do it in Australia for years going back to the old Claremont days and he added plenty to those meetings..he was really good.....fair play to Rory for trying something different and it sounds like the day was a success which is great.

Well done RooBoy, if only all meetings were like that :D

Racing was excellent, overtakes in most races and close racing in others.

Presentation of riders was as it should be - individually and doing wheelies etc.

Races flowed quickly from one to the next - no interminable tractors going round, the quality of the racing proving that grading after every heat or two is totally unnecessary (adverse weather excepted).

Juniors given a chance to race in front of a large crowd - has to be good for them and for the crowd to see up and comers. Nice to also see they still acknowledge the crowd with a wave :approve: (some seniors need to take note)

Centre green presentation was superb - I'm not usually a fan of commentary during a race but Mr Aunger was brilliant. Informative, enthusiastic, colourful and most certainly not repetitive.

The light show was interesting but IMO needs a bit of refining but for a first go was good.

The startline (a la Sheffield) was always gonna be good, the flames adding a certain something.

The fireworks were excellent and their timing was spot on.

Two minute dashes were interesting and threw up a couple of surprises.

I could go on but I think you get the idea. It was fresh, it was different, it was slick and it was thoroughly enjoyable. Only minor hiccup was the lack of results being announced after the races but don't think anyone really cared.

Thank you RooBoy for the meeting and the years of service you have given to British Speedway.

Now which promoter will have the guts to use some or all of your ideas or better still use you as a presentation consultant. :D

Could not agree more. Rory put on a speedway show that brought the sport into the 21st Century.

Absolutely no faffing around, top notch racing with music, light show, smoke machines and fireworks all going on between heats.

Now all we have to look forward to is the usual dreary shouty presentation for the rest of 2015

• Like 2

Loved the lights on the start line ala Sheffield. Would have liked Wade if I could have heard him 100%, knew he would go down well. Rory put lots of effort into the promotion, hope he was happy with the day. Watch this space eh!

Edited by Trees

Had a fab time, and would just like to say Lynn stadium just gets better and better each year

• Like 1

Wow!!! What an opener......... Well done to Rory on some innovatory ideas. The commentary was the icing of the cake, that tasted good throughout. Even the SGP could take on board some of the ideas Rory showed last night....

The track was of it's usual high standard, but noticeably the tractor wasn't in use every heat. One has to ask the question, does the track need to be graded every heat. Apart from the interval we didn't see it all night, even the commentator said how good the track was riding...... It was interesting that the fastest time was the last race of the night. But no tractor helped the meeting to flow far better.......

Pleasing to see most riders were over their injuries, some were obviously rusty, but you expect that......Others really shone and you wondered if they'd ever been away....

INTERESTING FOOTNOTE: Back in 1965, when Lynn held it's first ever meeting, Olle Nygren set the first Track record of 72.80 sec. Last night we saw a group of young riders giving it their all and entertaining the vast crowds......... Their time ......72.50 sec It just shows how far the sport has moved on. It difficult to imagine the Stars of yesteryear going that slow, but the times give you that comparison........

• Like 1

Surely there was no track grading because there wasn't much material? The deeper the material the more grading required to get rid of ruts?

Surely there was no track grading because there wasn't much material? The deeper the material the more grading required to get rid of ruts?

IF that's the case, I prefer to believe Rory wanted the meeting to flow for the fans, then prepare the track like that all the time.

I go to watching bikes racing NOT tractors endlessly going round the track. The racing last night was good, I can't recall any long drawn out processions which is what you get normally. If riders can't cope with the odd imperfection in a track maybe they should play snooker!

Speedway is dying because it is not attracting new supporters and it won't if they watch 15 minutes of bike action and 45 minutes of tractors.

If all meetings were like last night things might just be turned around. Newbies going last night might return. Take them to what is normal and very very few will. Speedway has to start catering for fans entertainment and tractors for 99% of folk on the terraces are not it.

I'll say it again, Rory had it spot on last night - freezing cold so keep it moving and keep it entertaining

• Like 2

Excellent meeting last night,enjoyed all the new fresh ideas introduced for this meeting.Commentator was great loved some of his sayings.

No surprise to me that Bjerre won the flying lap time,we know he is one of the quickest out there when he has fresh air between him and other riders.

Regarding track grading I assume they don't have to do so much with it this time of year once it has been prepared as all the moisture will stay in the track.Come the warmer weather we may see more.

Surely you are exagerrating SL, 45 mins indeed!

Are you saying in the days when Huggy did the track and it was as deep as we didn't see some great racing?

The main thing is exciting racing, if the boys can provide that on the slick then fine.

Excellent meeting last night,enjoyed all the new fresh ideas introduced for this meeting.Commentator was great loved some of his sayings.

No surprise to me that Bjerre won the flying lap time,we know he is one of the quickest out there when he has fresh air between him and other riders.

Regarding track grading I assume they don't have to do so much with it this time of year once it has been prepared as all the moisture will stay in the track.Come the warmer weather we may see more.

That's a good point too, SL doesn't want any tractors on track in any meeting at any time so be prepared for a dust bowl in summer ;-)

Surely you are exagerrating SL, 45 mins indeed!

Are you saying in the days when Huggy did the track and it was as deep as we didn't see some great racing?

The main thing is exciting racing, if the boys can provide that on the slick then fine.

That's a good point too, SL doesn't want any tractors on track in any meeting at any time so be prepared for a dust bowl in summer ;-)

I didn't say that. If weather conditions dictate grading the so be it. Read my first post ;) tractors drove me mad when Huggy drove them too. If tracks must do it, bloody well provide some distraction for the fans at the same time.

What I'm saying is there is no point tractors going round for the sake of it. A few bumps add to the entertainment and before you start not to the point of danger. I know you love speedway but it has to evolve and provide entertainment and value for money or it will die.

I loved last night but you won't get me back to Saddlebow Road any time soon cos quite simply I would be bored rubbishless and feel ripped off.

I'd agree that Buster doesn't try too hard on the presentation front, maybe things may change this season!

A bloody good presenter would help immensely as well as thinking of the small details that add to the night ....

I think 'Trees' is going over board about the tractors. Obviously some days will need more grading than others, but what we saw last night, then PROBABLY then tractors are not needed so much as we are led to believe......

What I did like was the Chap standing next to the start, with earphones on, giving out orders and time control. It was he who signalled the 15 sec board, then the 5 and so on. It totally illuminated all the messing around at the gate. Another big plus that could be used in the future...

Well Done Rory....... Some good ideas for future meetings

• Like 2

Ideally we need a speedway presenter not a stock car presenter on the mike last night showed how clueless the regular man is - we've never replaced Mike Bennett - I'm not saying it's easy job but someone with Knowledge of the sport is a starter

• Like 3

But the commercial manager thinks he is good ..... perhaps we need to give him (Matt Black) a few ideas about what we want to hear ......

Was he there yesterday listening to Wade doing his stuff?

But the commercial manager thinks he is good ..... perhaps we need to give him (Matt Black) a few ideas about what we want to hear ......

Was he there yesterday listening to Wade doing his stuff?

sorry he should stick to Stock cars - if he was that good Rory would have used him yesterday - we need a speedway announcer even Kevin Moore would be a better choice
  • Like 4