British Speedway Forum
a4poster

Is This Score Possible?

A 24 point score (without double-points) was technically possible during the 1976 season. In one of those bird-brained ideas thrown up at the Winter Conference, a revised rider-replacement regulation allowed a rider to take THREE rider-replacement rides of an injured rider who was above him in the averages! With FOUR programmed rides, plus ONE tactical substitute ride, it was possible to have EIGHT rides in a THIRTEEN heat match, always assuming you had enough strength to hold on to the bike!

I saw Reg Wilson take eight rides in a Leicester v Sheffield match on 29th June. Appearing in heats 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12 and 13 he scored 17 and 1 bonus. I guess there would have been other occasions during that season for other riders in other teams. A real test of man and machinery.

Yes - Bernie Leigh took 8 rides for Reading at Newport that year. He didn't ride in heats 1 or 13 so he actually came out eight times in the space of eleven races!
  • Like 1

Antonio Lindback scored a 21 point maximum in his first meeting for Poole..................

RP

Jason Doyle scored a 21 point 6 ride maximum away at Reading for Somerset in 2008, including a tactical sub win from 15 metres back in heat 14.

Don't forget Bobby Schwartz's amazing 21 point max when he came back to Dudley Wood in Reading's colours in 1980, beating Penhall, Gundersen and the other usual suspects.

A good way to show the Heathens what he thought about their decision to let him go!

I seem to recall an early season Challange match at Poole in the early eighties against Hackney, where Hackney No1 Bo Petersen had eight rides and I think he had eight wins, but I may be wrong (might still have the programme somewhere,so may have to try and dig it out)

I think the meeting was run over 16 or 18 heats but I'm not too sure, it was a loooonnng time ago now.

Edited to say:-

I have just found the old programme for this meeting,

It took place on the 9th July 1980,

It was indeed a Challange match Between Poole and Hackney,

It was run over 18 heats with Poole winning 64-44

Bo Petersen didn't have 8 rides............He had a staggering 9 rides!!!! Appearing in half of the heats in the meeting!!!!!!

His Score was:- 1,3,3,2,3,ex,3,3,3 = 21

I have a feeling he may have 'won' his 6th ride, but was excluded for having had both wheels over the white line at some point in the race!!!!!!

Edited by scottyfan
  • Like 1

Probably been covered elsewhere but on Sunday 15th Aug 1999 at Saddlebow Road we saw Luke Clifton have a total of 14 rides for K.Lynn vs Rye House (L40-48) in the Conference Lge, and Club Cradley Heath (W50-40) in a challenge.

He scored 32 pts + 1 bonus

Clifton surprisingly had the slowest winning time of the night clocking 71.9 in the 12th heat whilst Mark Steel set the fastest time of 65.5 in the 23rd heat (out of 31),

Ref was Mick Bates.

Anyone seen a rider have more starts (other than amateur meets?)

did Joe Owen and Rod Hunter both not score 7 ride, 21 pt max's in the same meeting in an old 16/18 heat match ???

Last season (when there were two Tactical Rides per side in a meeting) a Reserve could theoretically have scored 27 points!

4 programmed Race wins.

1 win as a Replacement for any rider.

2 x Tactical Ride wins. (Replacing two Tactical Riders who both happened to be Fn in the first running of their TR race)

Now the maximum he can score is 24.

ATB

Dave

A rider can only have ONE Tactical ride last season and if the reserve who has already taken a Tactical was to replace the rider taking the TR then the Tactical would be cancelled or transfered to the other rider,

Therefore a reserve can score a 24 point maximum 3 3 3 6 3 3 3 = 24

A rider can only have ONE Tactical ride last season and if the reserve who has already taken a Tactical was to replace the rider taking the TR then the Tactical would be cancelled or transfered to the other rider,

Therefore a reserve can score a 24 point maximum 3 3 3 6 3 3 3 = 24

17.11.4 A Rider in the re-run of a Heat where that Rider was not disqualified and is unable to take

part due to injury or damage to his/her motorcycle, in which case assumes the status of the

Rider being replaced, e.g. in the same helmet colour, gate position, as a TR (and the

possibility of double points), even if s/he has already taken a TR ride.

ATB

Dave

I stand corrected if that is the case but I thought that was stopped and the other rider had to take the place instead.

I stand corrected if that is the case but I thought that was stopped and the other rider had to take the place instead.

There were no subsequent amendments to Rule 17.11.4 last year. ;)

ATB

Dave

I remember Bobby Beaton scoring only half a point all night at Sheffield once. Zeroes and half a point for a third place dead heat.

• Like 1

I remember Bobby Beaton scoring only half a point all night at Sheffield once. Zeroes and half a point for a third place dead heat.

So he only just avoided the 'Pointless' Trophy then. ;):rofl: :rofl: :rofl: