British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stratton

Greg Hancock How Good.?

Wasn't the best ever rider when the champ howdy byford kept him in last place in a race at hackney in one match.Oh how we hawks fans loved that howdy was an old man then too probably about thesame age as greg hancock is now but he always looked like he was in his seventies must admit though haarfeldt was a very exciting rider. speedway couldn't get anybetter than the hackney/west ham matches.

no argument from me CR.

Wonder where Woffy might rank come the end of his career?

Niamh

currently he'd be top 50. Another title and I'd saythat would establish him with the two PCs as one of the top 3 all time brits, and top 20 of all time.

You seem to be taking this personally?? Im bot doubting hes a great rider but IMO he is boring to watch doesnt detract from him being good

No, not personal mate, just an opinion.

I find it surprising that people like yourself think the way you do. I go to speedway to see many things. Of course I love to see exciting racing, who don't..... but I also appreciate the finer things in the sport as well. To me Greg is an exemplary rider, who never puts a foot wrong. A role model to the extreme, the perfect rider. He's that good, especial from the gate, I agree sometimes it can be boring for those who wanted others to win....... When the chips are down Hancock will be there or thereabouts.....

Call him many names: Sometimes he's Brilliant, Sometimes he's majestic, Sometimes he's just too good, but he's never dull !!!!!!!

• Like 1

Please tell me how you can respect a man, you find incredibly dull ?? Hancock is out of the Mauger Mould, where he would usually gate and go. But to me that is part and parcel of the game. To watch someone who rides as consistent as those two riders is what speedway is all about. The definition of a good rider is some one who wins, not necessarily, who has to always come from the back.

Are you for Real ? it's easy to respect someone who is dull ...Cliff Thornburn was one of the dullest Snooker players you could ever find but he had the respect of nearly all and there are many people in many sports who are just the same as him . Just like many others i find Hancock dull to watch but have great respect for what he has done .

Edited by orion
  • Like 2

Please tell me how you can respect a man, you find incredibly dull ?? Hancock is out of the Mauger Mould, where he would usually gate and go. But to me that is part and parcel of the game. To watch someone who rides as consistent as those two riders is what speedway is all about. The definition of a good rider is some one who wins, not necessarily, who has to always come from the back.

I respect him for his success and the fact that he is doing it in his forties, that he still has the desire to achieve so late in his career and that he does it with a smile on his face and is liked by his fellow competitors. Doesn't stop me finding him dull to watch! The two things are unrelated.

• Like 2

Lets be honest, the majority on this thread have said we find Hancock dull but respect and appreciate him. So I don't see how it's wrong. Personally I think anyone who likes a speedway riders because he's a nice guy and smiles border line mad

Sidney, how do you think Olsen would have done in the GP format ? He'd win it easily afterall he does prepare the track

I dread to think how good Mauger would have been in the GP format!

Fair to say he dragged the sport into a more professional approach. But with todays no moving/kidology at the tapes a Mauger part of his game plan would be lost.

Midland Red, on 09 Feb 2015 - 6:43 PM, said:

He doesn't get in my Coventry top ten either

Read through this - http://www.coventrybees.co/memories - and you'll find him missing from quite a few lists

that's us told then. Clearly olsen was well short of tge standard if the likes of hackett, Robson, matousek etc.

or did ole refuse to give you an Autograph?

• Like 1

Surely the Olsen (not) in them Coventry teams comes down to, are we talking best riders, or riders you liked most. By average he should be in every Coventry top 7 ever produced. But if you didn't take to him for any reason then it's fine to leave him out I guess.

Surely the Olsen (not) in them Coventry teams comes down to, are we talking best riders, or riders you liked most. By average he should be in every Coventry top 7 ever produced. But if you didn't take to him for any reason then it's fine to leave him out I guess.

Spot on, but Midland Red appears to be using those lists as justification for Olsen not being in his BEST ever list of Coventry's top 10 riders... which is as I said, ridiculous.. and quite frankly makes his list worthless :)

Olsen was a terrific rider and a great racer I remember him coming to Swindon and doing an amazing last to first.It makes no difference what Coventry fans think of him,his place in speedway history is assured. He had a lot of bad luck in world finals, many a time he beat his great rival when they met, only to suffer an e/f, or a fall to hand the title back to him.

OK, OK!

Olsen was a very good rider, but he didn't make my 10 best riders list - not because I never took to him, but because I rated the others above him - Briggo is in my list although I didn't like him either

If it was a favourites list, then there would be other riders in my top 10

When I said, not in my Bees top ten, yes, that was a favourites list, and you can see I'm not alone in that thinking - a best Bees list would obviously include Olsen - and Hancock!

I think Olsen is probably amongst the best 10 riders of all-time - I included him as the ninth rider in my list.

He was actually a victim of his own success. Suddenly every Danish youngster wanted to be the next speedway superstar, and two of them (Nielsen and Gundersen) ended up not only emulating but surpassing Olsen's achievements.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

I used to think at the time (early 70s) that, on his day, Olsen was the best rider in the world but wasn't quite as consistent as Mauger and had more not so good days.

I suppose it comes down to what you mean by best-ever. Is it who would win a race both being at their absolute best or is it who would win over a series of races? A bit like the difference between the old one off World Championship and the GP

• Like 1