British Speedway Forum

Can someone tell me if bonus points are used to calculate a riders match average? Im sure they must be, if a rider scores 8+4 from his 4 rides thats a paid maximum. 12.00 would be his average if he scored that every week wouldnt it? Surely it wouldnt be calculated as 8.00

Can someone tell me if bonus points are used to calculate a riders match average? Im sure they must be, if a rider scores 8+4 from his 4 rides thats a paid maximum. 12.00 would be his average if he scored that every week wouldnt it? Surely it wouldnt be calculated as 8.00

Both figures are usually published but for team building purposes that would indeed be 8.

Blimey! Im shocked at that. But thanks anyway

Blimey! Im shocked at that. But thanks anyway

Yes, but the team doesn't score the bonus points, so they would (and did) inflate the combined team average if included for team building purposes.

Bonus points would generally inflate a declared 1-7 by about 5 points, but teams with better team riders would be penalised more. In the worst case scenario, a team could add 14 bonus points to its team average!

For me, the scoring system in team speedway should be changed so that points are only awarded for beating opponents, then the problem of bonus points goes away.

• Like 6

Absolutely agree with that. For team events points should only be awarded for beating opposition riders, not your own team mates. Heat results would be 4-0, 3-1 or 2-2, and it would not matter at all if a rider finishes ahead or behind his team mate, and bonus points are not needed anymore.

Edited by Bavarian

Absolutely agree with that. For team events points should only be awarded for beating opposition riders, not your own team mates. Heat results would be 4-0, 3-1 or 2-2, and it would not matter at all if a rider finishes ahead or behind his team mate, and bonus points are not needed anymore.

That would blow the mind of most speedway fans though. Most promoters too!

That would blow the mind of most speedway fans though. Most promoters too!

You would have people insistent that it's 'ruined the sport'.. that it's not as 'fair' as the old system.. and it makes the sport look mickey mouse.

You would have people insistent that it's 'ruined the sport'.. that it's not as 'fair' as the old system.. and it makes the sport look mickey mouse.

I wonder who that could be? :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

:D :D

For me, the scoring system in team speedway should be changed so that points are only awarded for beating opponents, then the problem of bonus points goes away.

'Strewth ! That's so blindingly obvious - why has no-one thought of it before (including myself in half a century watching speedway)?

I wonder who that could be? :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

:D :D

I think you would be intelligent enough to realise that it wouldn't changed anything scoring wise WK :)

• Like 1

I think you would be intelligent enough to realise that it wouldn't changed anything scoring wise WK :)

Nice reply BW. :t::) :)

With the obligatory "friend in the pub" who couldn't stop laughing when he heard about this scoring system and vowed never to go while it was in place

• Like 2

Yes, but the team doesn't score the bonus points, so they would (and did) inflate the combined team average if included for team building purposes.

Bonus points would generally inflate a declared 1-7 by about 5 points, but teams with better team riders would be penalised more. In the worst case scenario, a team could add 14 bonus points to its team average!

In 1975 a new and simple scoring system which eliminated bonus points was presented to the BSPA by the late John Berry. Mr Berry was impressed when it was presented to him in his office at Foxhall, and subsequently took the said system to a meeting a few weeks later. Apparently, a copy was presented to everyone and sadly only two promoters took the time to even read it.

That was the moment when i realised British Speedway in the long term was probably doomed...

While I've always considered that the way you win a speedway meeting is to beat 31 opponents rather than score 46 points, I can't help feeling a scoring system implemented on opponents beaten would further alienate speedway from the general public.

3-2-1-0 is dead simple. To say sometimes it's 2-2-0-0 and other times 2-1-1-0 is not so simple.

Speedway should be marketed to the general public, not the statto geeks. Even if I'm one of those myself ;)

All the best

Rob

• Like 3

You would eliminate the long push home for the point by a fallen rider in a 3 rider race, then where would we be :nono: