British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn V Lakeside Tues 31st Sky 7.30

Not going through all the previous posts, I watched this meeting on the big screen and nothing much suprised me in the meeting at all apart from Ashley Morris doing so well.

There was a few falls and the track didn't seem as good as usual but it didn't look too bad and the lack of racing was possibly more down to the strength of the two teams as Kings Lynn look like being one of the front runners this year again while Lakeside are poor away and this showed up with just two heat winners all night and one of those was possibly because of the injury to Kerr.

Robert Lambert impressed me last season at Monmore Green and against little opposition he went through the card and it possibly isn't going to be the last time we see this in 2015. With Iversen and Schlein on top form, it was a bit one sided and even with the injuries and low score by Bjerre, Kings Lynn were far too strong.

Lakeside just don't travel and while I used to be an admirer of AJ, he isn't the rider he was or can be in the GP's and he will find this season hard under this format while Bech, Lawson and Nilsson will do well at home but away is another matter. As for Edward Kennett, well he is now a PL owned rider and we seem to have seen the best of him at the age of just 29.

Overall this meeting wasn't exciting, no shock results and apart from watching Lambert get a paid maximum at the age of 16, it just goes to question who plans which meetings are best to be shown live ? ..... Poole, Belle Vue and Kings Lynn should only really be seen at home against each other and possibly add Coventry to that list.

The other four should mainly be shown at home against anyone and only away against each other as Lakeside v Kings Lynn could have been a close meeting as could Kings Lynn v Poole or Wolves v Swindon etc

Too many armchair experts and whingers all of whom have never been near a speedway bike or been involved in track prep................ but they still know it all.

Another ridiculous assumption. I've never made a piece of furniture in my life, but I know a decent bit of Chippendale when I see it.

Edited by Shads

Not going through all the previous posts, I watched this meeting on the big screen and nothing much suprised me in the meeting at all apart from Ashley Morris doing so well.

There was a few falls and the track didn't seem as good as usual but it didn't look too bad and the lack of racing was possibly more down to the strength of the two teams as Kings Lynn look like being one of the front runners this year again while Lakeside are poor away and this showed up with just two heat winners all night and one of those was possibly because of the injury to Kerr.

Robert Lambert impressed me last season at Monmore Green and against little opposition he went through the card and it possibly isn't going to be the last time we see this in 2015. With Iversen and Schlein on top form, it was a bit one sided and even with the injuries and low score by Bjerre, Kings Lynn were far too strong.

Lakeside just don't travel and while I used to be an admirer of AJ, he isn't the rider he was or can be in the GP's and he will find this season hard under this format while Bech, Lawson and Nilsson will do well at home but away is another matter. As for Edward Kennett, well he is now a PL owned rider and we seem to have seen the best of him at the age of just 29.

Overall this meeting wasn't exciting, no shock results and apart from watching Lambert get a paid maximum at the age of 16, it just goes to question who plans which meetings are best to be shown live ? ..... Poole, Belle Vue and Kings Lynn should only really be seen at home against each other and possibly add Coventry to that list.

The other four should mainly be shown at home against anyone and only away against each other as Lakeside v Kings Lynn could have been a close meeting as could Kings Lynn v Poole or Wolves v Swindon etc

This was originally King's Lynn v Poole but Poole withdrew and Lakeside were the only side to step in to fill the Sky schedule

Unluckily I also saw the meeting live!!

I'm pretty sure we can all appreciate the speed they go at and how little time they have to make decisions and how hard they hit the deck etc because on TV you get a clear view of the action! :rolleyes:

What you don't get on TV is the smell or the atmosphere but it looked like there wasn't any atmosphere last night!

You cannot appreciate the speed on the TV in fact imo unless u are on the straight with the guys whipping past the boards u can't at the track either, I say this cos that is just where I stood Tuesday whereas I normally stand on the first bend.

You cannot appreciate the speed on the TV in fact imo unless u are on the straight with the guys whipping past the boards u can't at the track either, I say this cos that is just where I stood Tuesday whereas I normally stand on the first bend.

You need a trip to Santa Pod if straight line speed gets you excited. That's certainly not why I watch speedway.

If the racing is crap, it's crap & it's been crap 2 weeks on the trot.

That's the be all and end all. How fast they go doesn't mean an awful lot to be fair.

• Like 2

Too many armchair experts and whingers all of whom have never been near a speedway bike or been involved in track prep................ but they still know it all.

This is my 46th year of watching speedway and believe me I know crap when I see it and most of what's being served up at the moment is just that.

Perhaps promoters should take more notice of the paying public and less notice of what riders, mechanics and team managers say and prepare tracks so they entertain the people who keep this sport going.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 5

I know exactly what you all mean about processional racing as I watched the coverage tonight on TV.

Luckily I saw the meeting live so was close to the action, seeing how fast the riders are racing and of course willing my team onto the win. You cannot appreciate on TV the speed these guys are riding their bikes at, how little time they have to make decisions, how hard they hit the deck when they fall off etc!

There is NOTHING like live speedway, particularly at a track where u can get close to the track ☺

Good post. One of speedways problems is that it doesn't come over particularly well on TV. You don't get the noise, you don't get the smell or the atmosphere and as you say seeing your team win always makes a dull match seem better. However good or bad a meeting is live it is never as good on TV. . The problem with this forum is that after almost every TV meeting, even the half decent ones we get a string of moans largely from people who weren't there and most of those seem to be from those who never or rarely go to live meeting anyway. You can almost tell before the meeting starts who is going to be on here moaning afterwards .I make no comment on last nights meeting one way or the other but you have hit the nail on the head of what the sport is about. As you say there is nothing like live speedway.

Well said.

• Like 2

It wasn't the best meeting in the world but considering the weather building up to it then they did very well to actually get the track as it was....and this time of year is very hit and miss for speedway and it always has been....Lakeside were awful which never helps a meeting either..

I've still got a couple of old videos of league matches at Kings Lynn from about 1990 with Loram and Lofqvist at reserve and there was no passing then on them....yet I've spent a full season at Kings Lynn and some of the racing was the best I've ever seen that season so speedway is always hit and miss , always has been and there have always been some ropey meetings and it's difficult to judge on one TV meeting against poor opposition in difficult early season conditions.

• Like 1

Wolves has been my #1 EL track for a long time. And before Peterborough dropped down that was #2. Two completely contract yet almost equally brilliant tracks. These days It's Wolves, Poole (even with it's bumps, as at last there is racing/passing) and BV as the top 3 (BV has come on loads the last 2 seasons) while Lynn has probably slumped into the bottom 4 with Coventry, Leicester and Lakeside. Leaves Swindon in 4th as a pretty average and run of the mill track that can be both brilliant and naff on any given day.

I would agree,rarely have i been to a poor meeting at Wolves although i only attend occasionally, i do think it is one of the best tracks and i would also agree that Peterborough is also and a shame they are no in the EL any more, i have also seen some terrific racing at Swindon and of course Poole. some seem to be blaming the weather but Poole were there last week and there was the only genuine pass that comes to mind is when Iversen passed Dakota North in heat 15. Ellis fell heavily in that meeting so maybe he had a bit of extra track knowledge the other away riders lacked but what i would say is that the track was not at fault for Ellis falling.

Another ridiculous assumption. I've never made a piece of furniture in my life, but I know a decent bit of Chippendale when I see it.

That's not what he is saying. Like a couple of others you are reading something into it that isn't there.

Of course Joe Public on the terraces knows whether its a good meeting or a bad one . No dispute about that, but it would only take one post to make that point. What we are seeing on this thread is people who know nothing about track prep, nothing about, engines , nothing about set ups , analysing and presuming to tell us why it was a dull meeting, and why KL is the best track since sliced bread.

People bang on about not enough dirt on the track for example but quite often there is enough dirt but because of the weather it has to be packed down, so the meeting can be put on. That in in turn can spoil the quality of the racing. It could be 101 different reasons or it could be simply the opposing team were having a bad day, just like every team do at times every year. And yet here we have people who have never sat on a bike or driven a tractor sitting in front of their TV screens telling us that because someone fell off and someone else didn't it proves this or that, or going through the old "my tracks better than your track routine ". Absolute nonsense.

Here here. My mate is a chef and if he gets complaints he asks if they've ever worked in a resturant kitchen. Soon puts them in their place. Dad was a roofer and as not many folk venture up onto their roof any complaints he had were soon dismissed.

Speedway fans stop moaning for Christ sake!

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and views and rightly so but speedway is in the entertainment business and when it ceases to provide entertainment it loses its supporters, and no supporters ultimately means no more speedway.

• Like 3

You need a trip to Santa Pod if straight line speed gets you excited. That's certainly not why I watch speedway.

If the racing is crap, it's crap & it's been crap 2 weeks on the trot.

That's the be all and end all. How fast they go doesn't mean an awful lot to be fair.

Of course it ain't but if u're against a poor team then it's something to watch! Positives and all that! I'm sure as hell not gonna complain about our boys racing so good, we all know if u have a good team then be prepared for some big wins!
  • Like 1

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and views and rightly so but speedway is in the entertainment business and when it ceases to provide entertainment it loses its supporters, and no supporters ultimately means no more speedway.

That is absolutely true. It is also inevitable that the fans like to have their say, and there will naturally be different opinions but the point DissAssTer was touching on was that the discussion would be so much more informative and enjoyable if people tried to be a bit more objective and factual instead of shooting from the hip. There is no doubt the entertainment value is not always what we want it to be but the reasons for that are often varied and complex. I speak to people who spend £30 or £40 going to a football match and tell me it was a load of rubbish but they still go . As Trees said in her post there is nothing like live speedwáy and sometimes the comments on here lose sight of that, although that doesn't mean it can't be made better. Sorting out the FTDR allocation would be a good start but that's for a different thread.

• Like 1

That's not what he is saying. Like a couple of others you are reading something into it that isn't there.

Of course Joe Public on the terraces knows whether its a good meeting or a bad one . No dispute about that, but it would only take one post to make that point. What we are seeing on this thread is people who know nothing about track prep, nothing about, engines , nothing about set ups , analysing and presuming to tell us why it was a dull meeting, and why KL is the best track since sliced bread.

People bang on about not enough dirt on the track for example but quite often there is enough dirt but because of the weather it has to be packed down, so the meeting can be put on. That in in turn can spoil the quality of the racing. It could be 101 different reasons or it could be simply the opposing team were having a bad day, just like every team do at times every year. And yet here we have people who have never sat on a bike or driven a tractor sitting in front of their TV screens telling us that because someone fell off and someone else didn't it proves this or that, or going through the old "my tracks better than your track routine ". Absolute nonsense.

I'm certainly not claiming to be a "know it all". I just thought it was a particularly dull meeting and certainly wouldn't of persuaded any waiverers to attend their local track. Not the fault of Kings Lynn, there are meetings like this up and down the country every week. Just so happened this one was televised. Edited by Shads