British Speedway Forum
Robinh88

Looks A Poor Pl 2015

Also there used to be a bigger difference between Adults & Concessions, but now £2 or so, Promoters obviously realised there were more OAP etc than adults coming through the gate so upped the price.

Speedway is a £10 sport

• Like 4

Certain Promoters try hard to please, I honestly believe that. At Newcastle, for example, last Season, Supporters were complaining about the Team and the Promoters attempted to change things - they listened. The fact that their Plan didn't work was not their fault - they were shafted by their own organization and daft Rules.

It is too easy to tar all Promoters with the same brush - but - as far as I can see most of them seem to fit in to your description Whiteliner.

Yes, Ian, as I said in my original posting, MOST OWNERS/PROMOTORS, I do not tar all with the same brush.

• Like 1

When Newport opened up in 1997 it was £7 for adults,just used an inflation calculator online and thats £7 is now £10.60 - yet promoters are charging £16. Where the £5.50 gone? Or the nearly 50% extra?.

If crowds what they were in 1997 then prices would probably be considerably lower than they are... Also didn't Newport go bust, so perhaps they weren't charging enough

If crowds what they were in 1997 then prices would probably be considerably lower than they are... Also didn't Newport go bust, so perhaps they weren't charging enough

Or maybe they were charging too much so people stopped going.

But for Newport read Sheffield, Peterborough, Berwick, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Glasgow. All charging about the same £7 in 1997 and all now charging about £16. Why has the cost of speedway shot off at a rate great that inflation?

When Newport opened up in 1997 it was £7 for adults,just used an inflation calculator online and thats £7 is now £10.60 - yet promoters are charging £16. Where the £5.50 gone? Or the nearly 50% extra? The sport charges too much, far too much (and it does that at EL and PL level). But it does make me laugh when anyone claims the EL is a con, a rip off, over charges and that the PL is some sort of great deal. EL prices are £1-2 more, I'd prefer to pay the extra pound or two and see a couple of decent riders and riders racing against others of their standard, not reserves vs heat leaders.

have to agree with all you say - but how about at EL level paying say £19-50 per meeting for a world class EL on the lines of team strengths of Sweden and Poland ? Now that would be something special .
  • Like 1

Or maybe they were charging too much so people stopped going.

But for Newport read Sheffield, Peterborough, Berwick, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Glasgow. All charging about the same £7 in 1997 and all now charging about £16. Why has the cost of speedway shot off at a rate great that inflation?

Glasgow have reduced their admission this year to £15

Certain Promoters try hard to please, I honestly believe that. At Newcastle, for example, last Season, Supporters were complaining about the Team and the Promoters attempted to change things - they listened. The fact that their Plan didn't work was not their fault - they were shafted by their own organization and daft Rules.

It is too easy to tar all Promoters with the same brush - but - as far as I can see most of them seem to fit in to your description Whiteliner.

you can't keep everyone happy :-(,,, (sorry about using red) :-)

Also there used to be a bigger difference between Adults & Concessions, but now £2 or so, Promoters obviously realised there were more OAP etc than adults coming through the gate so upped the price.

Speedway is a £10 sport

its all about 'supply and demand',,, have ye seen what they charge for 'sheltered accomadation' ???,,, its bloody ridiculous :-(

Edited by ruffdiamond

Glasgow have reduced their admission this year to £15

But they were charging £7 in 1997. With inflation thats £10.60. They're still charging nearly a fiver too much. The sport is seriously over pricing itself.

Mind you, I say that but I question if dropping the price by 33% will increase the crowd by 50% as it needs, so they may be right to increase the price. But I do know seeing most winters the price going up another £1 gets bloody annoying - especially when at EL level we're told lots of clubs wanted to drop their prices last year but couldn't as it would have meant EL and PL fans paying the same!

When Newport opened up in 1997 it was £7 for adults,just used an inflation calculator online and thats £7 is now £10.60 - yet promoters are charging £16. Where the £5.50 gone? Or the nearly 50% extra? The sport charges too much, far too much (and it does that at EL and PL level).

And yet most clubs are still losing money, so who's to blame? Greedy riders, over priced equipment, expensive engine tuning?

I genuinely don't know the answer

• Like 1

But they were charging £7 in 1997. With inflation thats £10.60. They're still charging nearly a fiver too much. The sport is seriously over pricing itself.

Mind you, I say that but I question if dropping the price by 33% will increase the crowd by 50% as it needs, so they may be right to increase the price. But I do know seeing most winters the price going up another £1 gets bloody annoying - especially when at EL level we're told lots of clubs wanted to drop their prices last year but couldn't as it would have meant EL and PL fans paying the same!

Edinburgh is £17. When you pay for car parking (which you pretty much have to there) that's another £2, plus £2.50 for a programme. At £21.50, that's getting steep.

And yet most clubs are still losing money, so who's to blame? Greedy riders, over priced equipment, expensive engine tuning?

Neither do I and I suspect that there are a few others who don't either.

I don't think the PL will be any worse or better than it has been for the last few seasons. What I can say is that the gates I have seen at Sheffield, Edinburgh, Berwick, Glasgow and Scunthorpe had significantly increased on last season.

That might well be due at least in part to the resurgence of Glasgow and Sheffield and the Easter holiday, but at least there is an increase rather than them staying the same or decreasing.

Rider costs have shot up in the last few years which is why they need more points money etc, plus with crowds going down year on year the loyal fan has had to cover that by an extra pound almost every season, though at Glasgow it stayed £16 for 3 or 4 years on the trot, Again I don't know the answer but I know up north we need more kids as they are the future of any sport.

Rider costs have shot up in the last few years which is why they need more points money etc, plus with crowds going down year on year the loyal fan has had to cover that by an extra pound almost every season, though at Glasgow it stayed £16 for 3 or 4 years on the trot, Again I don't know the answer but I know up north we need more kids as they are the future of any sport.

What rider costs though? If the riders were still earning (inflation adjusted) what they were in 1997 then they would all have to buy cheaper parts - that would mean the expensive suppliers would have to drop their prices or sell nothing and go bust.

Seriously, pay the riders less they'll use cheaper suppliers. Ask Tesco and Aldi!

you quote hits the nail on the head IMO .we have promoters paying over the odds just to outdo each other .the fans rally round each year at these clubs so they just do the same again the next season then plead poverty again.Edinburgh Promotion being one of the main culprits IMO .Their fans are fantastic in their fund raising efforts though. Edited by Fromafar

you quote hits the nail on the head IMO .we have promoters paying over the odds just to outdo each other .the fans rally round each year at these clubs so they just do the same again the next season then plead poverty again.Edinburgh Promotion being one of the main culprits IMO .Their fans are fantastic in their fund raising efforts though.

I heard of an EL rider who was on £375 a point last year. It's a dangerous sport and they are brave men, but that's just plain ridiculous and surely can't be sustainable in the current climate of falling attendances in the UK. Edited by Shads

What rider costs though? If the riders were still earning (inflation adjusted) what they were in 1997 then they would all have to buy cheaper parts - that would mean the expensive suppliers would have to drop their prices or sell nothing and go bust.

Seriously, pay the riders less they'll use cheaper suppliers. Ask Tesco and Aldi!

Supermarkets do not seek out cheaper suppliers companies like Tesco force the prices down until the company can no longer profitably trade. As an example look what the supermarkets have done to British milk producers

• Like 1