British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Super Blue

Somerset Rebels V Ipswich Witches Pl 17-4-15

I think this could be quite close and the Witches could well take a point. The Rebels look vulnerable at reserve without Starke.

Compton is putting in plenty of effort but is just off the pace on the first bend- maybe tonight's his night.

I could see the witches leading early on and the Rebels having a strong 2nd part to the meeting as per last week. King vs Kurtz should be great.

Compton is not only off the pace on the first bend as you say, but he's off the pace on the second, third and fourth bends too. I think even Henning Loof scored more points for us.

All this nonsense about the track is exactly that - nonsense. Covatti has never seen the place before and he turns up and rides it like a dream, so that cannot be an excuse for having the "incorrect set up".

Edited by Najjer

I thought this was a cracking meeting, always close and with some good racing thrown in. Still not sure whether Ipswich or Somerset threw it away.

I would say Bates deserved a bonus. Although he only scored 2 he battled like hell for them. Covatti was brilliant and should have had an extra ride,probably in heat 11.

The track.......When I arrived I thought it had been over watered. Within a couple of heats there were clouds of dust coming up and although it was watered regularly it made little difference. To be fair, it was windy and the dust didnt seem to affect the quality of the racing.

Always good to catch up with Pirate Nick and put the world, speedway and women in particular to rights.

I thought this was a cracking meeting, always close and with some good racing thrown in. Still not sure whether Ipswich or Somerset threw it away.

I would say Bates deserved a bonus. Although he only scored 2 he battled like hell for them. Covatti was brilliant and should have had an extra ride,probably in heat 11.

The track.......When I arrived I thought it had been over watered. Within a couple of heats there were clouds of dust coming up and although it was watered regularly it made little difference. To be fair, it was windy and the dust didnt seem to affect the quality of the racing.

Always good to catch up with Pirate Nick and put the world, speedway and women in particular to rights.

Yes he should and that decision or lack of, could have cost Ipswich the victory. Neither Hawkins or Heeps were having particularly good meetings whilst Covatti was obviously a man on form.

When you have a rider at reserve racking up the points and in fine fettle, you take advantage of that and give him the maximum rides possible.

For whatever reason, that didn't happen. Maybe the new team manager had his reasons but I guess we'll never hear them.

All this nonsense about the track is exactly that - nonsense. Covatti has never seen the place before and he turns up and rides it like a dream, so that cannot be an excuse for having the "incorrect set up".

It's not nonsense though if the track is indeed different every week......Covatti wouldn't know any different and rode it as he found it but Kurtz et al might well struggle if conditions are different every week and require differing set ups.

• Like 2

So the group is now in our hands. Beat Rye and Plymouth next week and we top the group regardless of what Peterborough do at Somerset.

If Rye take a point at Foxhall on Thursday, we can still top the group but will need to take the full 4 points at Plymouth next Friday.

Rye in theory also have the group in their hands as a win at Foxhall will see them top the group.

We must be favourites though at this stage.

Edited by Hong Kong Phooey

It's not nonsense though if the track is indeed different every week......Covatti wouldn't know any different and rode it as he found it but Kurtz et al might well struggle if conditions are different every week and require differing set ups.

The track is the same for everyone, and as long as it's safe and throws up great entertainment, which it does, there should be no complaints. Josh Grajczonek was flying, exactly where he left off the previous week.

Enjoyed last night,thought the Waspels were luck to get the draw... :lol: and good to meet up with Paulco again for a nice quiet drink...

The track is the same for everyone, and as long as it's safe and throws up great entertainment, which it does, there should be no complaints. Josh Grajczonek was flying, exactly where he left off the previous week.

True but he is more experienced than Kurtz so can probably adapt to different conditions more easily. I agree that a track being safe and good for racing are the most important factors but some home riders will inevitably struggle occasionally if the track is never prepared the same.

On the Compton issue I think Gary will probably give him the P/Boro match and if things remain the same it will be bye. A quick look at the Rebels home matches shows he has only beaten Perks. I know that finding a replacement will be tough , but surely anything must be better than not beating anyone. I had a feeling that without Starke we could get bitten, but given Covatti had an extraordinary night only two extra points at reserve would have done the job, not much wrong with the Rebels top 5 who dominated the Witches equivalent 42-29.

I know the presenter often reads these threads, so can I ask you Mr presenter if you interview Mr Hilton on Thursday why he didn't give nico another race. It would be nice to if it was a glaring error or not.

Why was Starke not riding?

not much wrong with the Rebels top 5 who dominated the Witches equivalent 42-29.

Eh? You can't just ignore Manzares' R/R rides and take the totals of Ipswich' top FOUR against the Somerset top five and call it a top 5 domination 42-29.

It was 42-36 in Somersets favour.

These are of course, 7 man teams these days not five man teams and the reserves points do actually count towards a teams meeting total.

• Like 1

Pile up for Poole, ankle

Eh? You can't just ignore Manzares' R/R rides and take the totals of Ipswich' top FOUR against the Somerset top five and call it a top 5 domination 42-29.

It was 42-36 in Somersets favour.

These are of course, 7 man teams these days not five man teams and the reserves points do actually count towards a teams meeting total.

Three of Gino`s rides are included in Ippo`s 29 points, the only one that wasnt was Nico`s win.So I will give you the three for that so that is now 42-32.The point I was making was how poor we were at reserve not the overall score, but the Rebels top 5 comfortably out scored the Witches by counting Gino`s r/r`s. In the scores Statto has given ritchie and cam 5 rides and Rohan 6, but also itemised Gino`s r/r`s, in your world 42-36 for top 5 and Ippo`s reserve scores and you get 52.

I know the presenter often reads these threads, so can I ask you Mr presenter if you interview Mr Hilton on Thursday why he didn't give nico another race. It would be nice to if it was a glaring error or not.

I can't remember exactly when it was, but he was suffering from some electrical issues towards the end of the meeting, which took a bit of time to get sorted.

That's part of our strength this year though. We've built in a way that we'll always be pretty strong at reserve no matter who drops to reserve.

We could well see Manzares at reserve after the first set of averages and we'll still look potent.

If these were play off fixtures, we would have sailed through comfortably over the two legs so things are looking very promising for us.