British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue Aces -v Poole "cheats" Pirates

It just needs a "plumbing malfunction" at the track and the pantomime will be complete. (Oh no it won't. ..oh yes it will...etc)

• Like 1

And to think matt ford was saying winning the league this season would be a bigger achievement than Belle Vue winning the treble in the early seventies. Firstly in those days there was 18 home and away league matches against similar strength sides all with three real heat leaders in the world class bracket, every match counted, any bad start and you were history, there was no manipulation of the rules, I remember going to Swindon around 1970 and Soren Sjosten was riding in a world championship event in Poland so the aces brought in some young kid called Peter Collins as replacement, no underhand dodgy dealings to strengthen the side horses for courses fashion, PC always hated Somerton Park and in 1977 admitted to giving the meeting a miss, we rode a rider short, no option to bring in a rider who went better round Newport. Today teams can manipulate their line ups to suit come the end of season play offs when the team finishing 4th can actually become league champions, no second chances in those days. Given all the manipulations of the rules and the regular season being just a qualifying round in effect it is easier to win the league in modern times and all the ducking and diving just makes it more manageable.

• Like 4

Maybe it's time that the rules were changed so that if an"injured" rider rides anywhere within 3 days of a facility being granted, any points scored by that facility are removed.

It wouldn't stop all the rule bending but it might stop some, especially in this case.

I think its fair enough for riders to ride in go then miss league speedway. In theory such a rule makes sense for domestic comps BUT the polish clubs would never agree to it. EL could still implement it but it would only work "one way"

I think its fair enough for riders to ride in go then miss league speedway. In theory such a rule makes sense for domestic comps BUT the polish clubs would never agree to it. EL could still implement it but it would only work "one way"

I don't give a stuff about the Polish leagues. A rider is either fit to ride a speedway bike or he isn't, doesn't matter where the track is situated. If clubs choose to use Polish riders they would have to suffer the consequences of the Polish clubs dictating to their riders. Maybe promoters should spend a bit more on young Brits and eventually the "Polish" problem won't arise but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 2

I don't give a stuff about the Polish leagues. A rider is either fit to ride a speedway bike or he isn't, doesn't matter where the track is situated. If clubs choose to use Polish riders they would have to suffer the consequences of the Polish clubs dictating to their riders. Maybe promoters should spend a bit more on young Brits and eventually the "Polish" problem won't arise but I won't hold my breath.

Not long to wait til 2016 when Polish riders will be limited to only riding in 2 leagues - Poland and 1 other.

• Like 1

Not long to wait til 2016 when Polish riders will be limited to only riding in 2 leagues - Poland and 1 other.

Oh goody can't wait :approve:

How many EL matches have been between first choice 7's so far this season? - ie no guests or r/r.

From the 37 EL meetings staged so far this season, just 7 have been staged without at least 1 guest or R/R being used.

6 of these were in the week 31/3 thru 8/4, with the 7th one being Belle Vue vs Swindon on 11/5

At least the Aces fans will now have the pleasure of seeing Darcy in action when the Pirates are next in Town ;)

• Like 1

At least the Aces fans will now have the pleasure of seeing Darcy in action when the Pirates are next in Town ;)

Exactly - hardly cheating the public is it?! :t:;):P

• Like 1

At least that has saved another farce. It will be interesting to see if Janowski will turn up for the rearranged fixture be a bit more difficult to find an excuse after this debacle. Then again maybe he won't be in the team by then.