British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Vs Somerset ( P L) - Bank Holiday Monday, May 25th (3pm)

That was a real tough meeting against a team with three top riders Kurtz; Grajczonek and Worrall + a resurgent Leigh Lanham. I remember suggesting we look at Lanham last winter on a 4+ average and getting my understanding questioned but by the by. Paul Starke for Rebs at reserve is also a quality rider so further added to the level of difficulty for us.

But you cannot fault Ryan straight into it 6 rides! or Ben who was up with it considering it was his first competitive racing for a while. Nike again is getting points and his heat 12 last ditch effort after Ryan came off was great to see.

Wilko and Theo-carrying a foot injury were down on their recent efforts round Scunny so without a big hitter Rebs always had an answer. Did Josh say he might be two months out because if that was the case I might be thinking guest/rr is going to wear thin particularly the guest bit-state of riders available to call on ?

Notice Plymouth have just redeclared with Todd Kurtz in-thinking ahead to our next match. Any chance we could get Brady in for us at St Boniface ? Hes actually lower than Josh in the aves.

Dispite the scoreline the racing was again top draw with the Rebs exploiting the dirt line that bit more. But we go forward and I agree with management theres lots more to come from us once Ryan and Ben are up to speed again. But that No1 to go up against the like of Brady Kurtz and Grajczonek is the key what ever way we elect to sort it in the weeks ahead. Whats ex-Eagle and Nikes compatriot Timo Lahti doing over the next few weeks ? Could he do a job? sure all options are on the table.

By the way enjoyed the 4TT second half with the Halifax Dukes coming out winners. Dave Speight again good value round the EWR and also Rob Shuttleworth for Stags. Really would like to see the Dukes find a home track over here in Halifax because theres plenty of riders at this level around here wanting competitive track time. If we could find some land like Scunny and get it up and running folks in Halifax would back it for sure. Would be great to have an National League team and more opportunity for some of these riders to develop.

Up the Scorps and keep backing the team.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 1

Heard Timo Lahti has set up a coffee shop business back in Finland.

• Like 1

Somerset are a far better team than people are giving them credit for.

I really fancy them to win the league this year, two riders in the team more than a match for anyone else's number 1, and the rest of the team (Benji Compton excluded), they are more than capable of beating any team.

Don't forget either that Worrall has been pretty poor so far this season for us, so the hope is once he gets going to the level of previous seasons we will become even stronger. A half decent no.7 and we're laughing!

• Like 1

Yeah heard same me self; but if he fancied a skid reckon he might nab a few points ? ;):t:

Really? You're thinking of Timo Latte :D

Great result against a weak-looking Scunny side, but let's not get carried away, even Redcar won there!

And Benji needs to be put out of his misery - but who is there to replace him?

Ryan and Ben getting up to speed and no number one and people are moaning about losing to a very good Somerset side ... Get a grip !

• Like 1

I was a bit suprised when he was taken out of heat 14--meeting easily won --no pressure--youd have thought they would have given him that one for a blast

[also could have meant we didnt get 1-5`d --but that never crossed my mind :t: ]

I was a bit suprised when he was taken out of heat 14--meeting easily won --no pressure--youd have thought they would have given him that one for a blast

[also could have meant we didnt get 1-5`d --but that never crossed my mind :t: ]

Good team management I would say - Starke's confidence must be sky high after yesterday now!

I've been at the OTA more times on a Friday than Benji, and I couldn't do much worse - so I'm available if needs be!

injuries apart ,it looks like a Somerset-Edinburgh play off final again.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

I think Glasgow may have something to say about that.

Really? You're thinking of Timo Latte :D

Great result against a weak-looking Scunny side, but let's not get carried away, even Redcar won there!

I don't know who should replace Benji but I'm sure we should be able to get someone who can achieve at least the minimum 3.00 CMA and not 1.14 which Benji roughly has achieved so far. He tries hard but is way off the pace at the home meetings I have seen.

I don't know who should replace Benji but I'm sure we should be able to get someone who can achieve at least the minimum 3.00 CMA and not 1.14 which Benji roughly has achieved so far. He tries hard but is way off the pace at the home meetings I have seen.

It's very easy to sit there and say that, but I don't hear too many suggestions from anyone as to who that might be. Have you looked around the available (or not) riders recently. If you have a sensible suggestion, I'm sure that Garry May will gladly listen :P

I think Glasgow may have something to say about that.

Glasgow have got a couple of riders who brick it on the big occasions,plus Kozza must be a worry he is not showing anything like his best form.Edinburgh & Somerset have riders that rise too the occasion when the going gets tough IMO .Could easily be proved wrong though.

Starke's performance came as no surprise he was excellent last time he came to the EWR, he loves to ride the outside line.