British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

A great thread...

For me, a one make, sealed engine series is the way for Speedway in this country, (and many years late in its implementation)..

For elsewhere, there can be a 'free for all' if they so wish...

What the international riders need at Cardiif in the British GP is a million miles away from what the domestic riders need at Buxton the next week...

Let's get British Speedway right and if a one make series (as so many motorsports do) helps sort out Speedway in this country then it has to be the way forward.

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

One thought occured to me: aren't folk going a little overboard a bit hasty-like re: GTR engines?

I mean one rider, Freddie Lindgren, had a successful season using these motors and reported much reduced wear so he saved money and is happy. But Lindgren is a very good rider anyway so would know how to get the best out his equipment and look after it, not missing servicies or running his motors flat out even if they are not running 100% ok until they blow up. But we are talking about one rider using these engines over one season. I know Chris Harris had some rides on the GTR at GP level and Kelvin Tatum has had plenty of spins on them (again, both good riders) but suddenly people think these new motors could be speedway's salvation. When Weslakes, JAWA 4-valves, Goddens and GMs were launched they were supplied to a few different riders, works riders, who used them and presumably gave feedback to improve the engine(s). Their success sales grew and gave speedway the situation were GM became almost every riders' weapon of choice.

I DO hope the GTRS are competitive at all levels, it will make speedway more interesting, and I certainly hope they DO reduce costs (a blow up 20 laps after a service is no fun for any rider) but it just seems to me folk are jumping the gun a little. Like I said, just a thought....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 2

Speedway tends to rush for the "next best thing". A lot of people here are putting down the tuners but let's be honest Marcel Gerhard is in business, selling his new speedway engines. He is not doing it for free, or at cost, he has a vested interest in the success of the GTR. I still think introducing a rev limiter too be fitted to all bikes would have been a cheaper way to try to limit costs for 2017 and the need for so much servicing. Then we could have considered more carefully the wholesale acceptance of the GTR.

Speedway tends to rush for the "next best thing". A lot of people here are putting down the tuners but let's be honest Marcel Gerhard is in business, selling his new speedway engines. He is not doing it for free, or at cost, he has a vested interest in the success of the GTR. I still think introducing a rev limiter too be fitted to all bikes would have been a cheaper way to try to limit costs for 2017 and the need for so much servicing. Then we could have considered more carefully the wholesale acceptance of the GTR.

A rev limiter is unlikely to increase service intervals significantly. You might think it levels the playing field but everyone on rev limited GMs would still be in the hands of the current tuners. The GTR is DOHC whereas the GM is SOHC, the GTR has superior lubrication and is more tolerant to missed services (which are much less frequent than those required by other engines). There are now claims that GM and possibly Jawa are working on better engines, that might be considered a reaction to the GTR and is certainly an admission of the imperfections of their existing models.

• Like 2

Yep he is in business alright, I am sure Agostina knows what she is talking about and is passionate about her father's business but it cannot hinder their cause that she is stunning, was it the actual Star article or the picture on page 6 that was the eye opener for some?

Success will always bring imitators. 'IF' GM & Jawa improve the lubrication system of their new engines it could be disastrous for the GTR project as while riders will always pursue the fastest options they are also creatures of habit. How long have a multitude of silencers been available, 5 years? and how many riders still choose King as the default pipe.

• Like 1

We know the Bspa have set up a deal re these engines.

But how many were available and how many have been bought ?

• Like 1

We know the Bspa have set up a deal re these engines.

But how many were available and how many have been bought ?

Very good question. It would be very interesting to know.............

So if a Rider buys a GTR through the BSPA, does he then have to accept a lower pay rate? As this is the only way that the Promoter can save money, thus helping cut costs and saving the Sport.

• Like 1

Success will always bring imitators. 'IF' GM & Jawa improve the lubrication system of their new engines it could be disastrous for the GTR project as while riders will always pursue the fastest options they are also creatures of habit. How long have a multitude of silencers been available, 5 years? and how many riders still choose King as the default pipe.

They are the cheapest ...

They are the cheapest ...

If all riders brought the cheapest items available we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

So if a Rider buys a GTR through the BSPA, does he then have to accept a lower pay rate? As this is the only way that the Promoter can save money, thus helping cut costs and saving the Sport.

Great point. If a rider has the cheaper to run engines then surely they need less points/attendance money as their outlays are down.

equally what are the deals with cubs signing riders who are considering a new GTR? A rider competing on their current engines with setups already known is far more attractive than a rider who will require time to adapt and get the best out of the new engines.

Did the BSPA really invest £360,000 in the GTR engines? That would have been MUCH more effectively spent on a well thought out marketing campaign, done differently that in years gone by. Or is that on the cards for March 1st? I was hoping to ask Buster that question.

• Like 1

If a rider buys a BSPA funded GTR can he use it abroad?