British Speedway Forum
Odds On

Sitingbourne To Go Elite?

I was there yesterday and there was an excellent crowd for NL racing. Would the attendances improve enough to support EL, I'm not sure. The main stumbling block would be obtaining full planning permission when it's up for review at the end of next season.

Did I hear there was a curfew at Sittingbourne?

Must learn to spell. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by The White Knight

8.30pm at the moment.

Cheers CR. :t::approve:

Cheers CR. :t::approve:

no probs, I wonder if this rumour is the same one as lakeside relocating to kent next season, which has been denied by the hammers promotion.

They've already got planning permission for next season and it's to race until 9:30pm on a Friday (as it can't be during the week as kids have to go to bed on a school night!!).

But surely if the books are balanced and those running the team can afford it, the fans should want to see their team competing at the highest level?

I think the point is that you can't balance the books at EL level, and the model of fan-promoters constantly underwriting the losses has led speedway to where it is today.

However, speedway does have to be one of the few sports where fans have no aspirations of being in the top flight, and indeed claim that the second tier is better to the top tier. :blink:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I think the point is that you can't balance the books at EL level, and the model of fan-promoters constantly underwriting the losses has led speedway to where it is today.

However, speedway does have to be one of the few sports where fans have no aspirations of being in the top flight, and indeed claim that the second tier is better to the top tier. :blink:

But if the promoters have decided to go EL, they must have some plans and must think it's possible. Why then are fans moaning about going Elite?

But if the promoters have decided to go EL, they must have some plans and must think it's possible. Why then are fans moaning about going Elite?

perhaps its not what they want because NL/PL is a better product in their view to which they are fully entitled

Do attendances go up if a speedway team moves up a league, in my experience they don't but interesting to hear what others think.

perhaps its not what they want because NL/PL is a better product in their view to which they are fully entitled

So to confirm, if rumours are true that Kent/Sittingbourne are to go Elite (which is the starting point of this thread) you think they don't want to for EL because they think the NL/PL is better? So why are they, if rumours are true, going EL then? Gun to their head? Threats of violence on their children?

Do attendances go up if a speedway team moves up a league, in my experience they don't but interesting to hear what others think.

No. Because most promoters fail to promote the fact they're in the top league. How many do you think sold the fact they had a World Champion their last season? Bet it was never mentioned. The name "Tai Woffinden" meant nothing to most people, "The World Champion" now that means something!

no i think some of the fans think NL/PL is better in some respects.

I'm sure the promoters know what they're doing. My own opinion is that EL is a dead duck.

The top league in the UK is the PL and not EL. There are so many riders doubling up into the EL and only a splash of world class riders, that’s the only real difference in my view. Sure it would be £18ish plus programme, that's £20ish and a lot of people struggle finically, as indeed Stummo does! I personally don’t see what the draw of EL racing is. Same teams week in week out. All the world class riders elbow the UK, Sky don’t sponsor the EL so when they show a televised match they get little reward. The only reason Birmingham went up was the Sky purse and looks what’s happened to them!

The top league in the UK is the PL and not EL. There are so many riders doubling up into the EL and only a splash of world class riders, that’s the only real difference in my view. Sure it would be £18ish plus programme, that's £20ish and a lot of people struggle finically, as indeed Stummo does! I personally don’t see what the draw of EL racing is. Same teams week in week out. All the world class riders elbow the UK, Sky don’t sponsor the EL so when they show a televised match they get little reward. The only reason Birmingham went up was the Sky purse and looks what’s happened to them!

Difficult to argue with any of that apart from the fact that not all of the World's top class Riders have "elbowed' the Elite League.

I totally agree with everything else though.

The Elite League has so many flaws these days but there is still no way the Premier League is the top league.....entertaining maybe but definitely not in terms of rider quality......of course rider quality doesn't always equate to entertainment but in terms of quality the Elite League is still superior by far than the Premier League.

Of course teams have to make the decision of whether the sheer increased costs of paying EL riders will bring enough extra people through the gate to justify the move up from PL......I think that years ago it would have been a reasobably easy decision...the top league had every world star in it, there were plenty of teams so much more variety of opposition to see, riders didn't ride in all the leagues so they seemed to be available more often and teams definitely didn't have 4 guests in a meeting very often....there was less attractions outside speedway as well but the top league product had a lot to attract fans over the second division.....I'm not sure it's the same now even though the rider quality itself is still higher I'm not sure the extra expense justifies the risk of teams moving up.

The Elite League has so many flaws these days but there is still no way the Premier League is the top league.....entertaining maybe but definitely not in terms of rider quality......of course rider quality doesn't always equate to entertainment but in terms of quality the Elite League is still superior by far than the Premier League.

Of course teams have to make the decision of whether the sheer increased costs of paying EL riders will bring enough extra people through the gate to justify the move up from PL......I think that years ago it would have been a reasobably easy decision...the top league had every world star in it, there were plenty of teams so much more variety of opposition to see, riders didn't ride in all the leagues so they seemed to be available more often and teams definitely didn't have 4 guests in a meeting very often....there was less attractions outside speedway as well but the top league product had a lot to attract fans over the second division.....I'm not sure it's the same now even though the rider quality itself is still higher I'm not sure the extra expense justifies the risk of teams moving up.

But surely that is the crux of the issue.

Speedway is supposed to be an Entertainment, so if the Premier League is more entertaining, then that is surely the place to be.

Personally I would rather see a decent Race than a World 'Star' beating a Premier League Rider by a half a Lap in the Elite League.

Just my opinion.