British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Coventry V Poole 1/6/15

Holder says rain not a light drizzle. I'm not going to argue it as I was actually there and believe me you couldnt help but feel the rain & strong winds. It got heavier by heat 4 and the wind was an even bigger problem.

It was light rain to start with, the start line looking a bit muddy which may have been to protect the track at that point,most riders struggled out of gate 2 no idea why. It has to be said that Coventry had no luck especially Danny King and the meeting went our way but the track seemed to hold up well and Kylmakorpi made a good pass on Janowski in heat 6 but after that the rain got worse and at that stage it was never likely to be called off with so few races left, if we still had to do 12 races to get a result then maybe it would have ended differently.Despite his horrific injuries at Coventry Holder didn't seem to be worried by the conditions.

• Like 1

I have re read Coventry's report which refers to the meeting Steward decreed at heat 9 that the meeting should continue. One question I would ask seasoned Speedway supporters WERE YOU AWARE THAT THE MEETING REFEREE WAS NOT I N CHARGE FULLY OF ALL DECISIONS RELATING TO THE RUNNING OF OF WHAT HAPPENS ON TRACK. The arbiter appears to be the Sky Sports "STEWARD". If this is the case then it just shows how stupid the Speedway rulers were in accepting this decision. I bet this isn't the case in football or other sports. Be honest were you aware that the referee was not involved in this decision making and that it is left to a Sky employee. Surely the riders should address this anomaly for their own safety. Speedway is a dangerous sport and Sky should have no input into the final decision!.

• Like 2

On reflection who were the winners and losers at last nights debacle?

Losers:

Poole speedway (yes I have put them in both) - they did what any other team would have done in the same position and forced the result. Sadly it was on live TV, thus demosnstrating a win at all cost attitude that dosnt go down well with the rest of the speedway fans.

Don't get this statement. If other teams would have done the same thing, then everyone has win and all costs mentality. So why would they have a problem with it?

Hans fell off in heat 5, on his own, just missing his team mate. Holder only got away with it in heat 10 as Watt could shut off due to the fact there were no other riders on the track.

I think you mean heat 7 as he wasn't in heat 5 but he picked up extra unwanted grip which could happen in any meeting, in my view totally different to garrity who falls off in most meetings! Holder in heat 10 i agree was due to conditions, no idea why he was going so fast with no one against him.

Just watched it tonight. I agree that speedway was the loser.

Let's face it, as Chris Louis was hinting at, the team trailing will always try to get the meeting stopped.

Pointless complaining about Poole winning.

Coventry would have been straight out to the gate at heat 10 if they were in the lead.

• Like 1

Don't get this statement. If other teams would have done the same thing, then everyone has win and all costs mentality. So why would they have a problem with it?

I wasn't digging at Poole, more the rule. All teams would do the same, dosnt make it right. The fact it was in front of the sky cameras where the exposure is greater dosnt look good on them.

Ok, so I forgot it was heat 10 now, but I got it right and that was two days before the meeting!

Don't worry. If we follow Swedish speedway we'll be calling a result after EIGHT heats. Surprised the BSPA haven't followed suit already.

I have re read Coventry's report which refers to the meeting Steward decreed at heat 9 that the meeting should continue. One question I would ask seasoned Speedway supporters WERE YOU AWARE THAT THE MEETING REFEREE WAS NOT I N CHARGE FULLY OF ALL DECISIONS RELATING TO THE RUNNING OF OF WHAT HAPPENS ON TRACK. The arbiter appears to be the Sky Sports "STEWARD". If this is the case then it just shows how stupid the Speedway rulers were in accepting this decision. I bet this isn't the case in football or other sports. Be honest were you aware that the referee was not involved in this decision making and that it is left to a Sky employee. Surely the riders should address this anomaly for their own safety. Speedway is a dangerous sport and Sky should have no input into the final decision!.

Yea it's been the same for years ...I thought you said you had been watching speedway for 50 years .

Edited by orion

Just watched it tonight. I agree that speedway was the loser.

Let's face it, as Chris Louis was hinting at, the team trailing will always try to get the meeting stopped.

Pointless complaining about Poole winning.

Coventry would have been straight out to the gate at heat 10 if they were in the lead.

If bomber was not stopped by havvy he would of rode in heat 10 and it was clear he wasn't happy with havvy.

Time sky did one as the sport is going downhill fast with them.

Do away with result stands at heat 10 and make it that a match must run to the end of heat 15 for a result to stand.

I think you mean heat 7 as he wasn't in heat 5 but he picked up extra unwanted grip which could happen in any meeting, in my view totally different to garrity who falls off in most meetings! Holder in heat 10 i agree was due to conditions, no idea why he was going so fast with no one against him.

Most meetings???

Garrity has fallen in 4 meetings out of 14 for Coventry this year, and one of those was when he received a very dubious exclusion in the match at Poole. Most Meetings??

ATB

Dave

Edited by Gambo
  • Like 4

I've not read all the current 43 pages on this thread so please forgive me if this has already been covered but does a football match result stand if its called off after 60 minutes (2/3rds) of its allocated time ? No it doesn't and formula 1 Grand Prix racing only awards 1/2 points if a race is curtailed before it run its course ! The 10 heat rule definitely requires looking at .

This meeting was only run because sky were there and should never have happened .

It turned into a total farce and shame on the sport (if you can call it a sport) for allowing it to descend to new levels of incompetence !

• Like 3

Most meetings???

Garrity has fallen in 4 meetings out of 14 for Coventry this year, and one of those was when he received a very dubious exclusion in the match at Poole. Most Meetings??

ATB

Dave

I agree. Garrity seems to put himself under more pressure when sky are there for some reason as it's always those meetings he seems to fall or touch tapes in.

He didn't get to the top of the reserve draft by falling off all the time. He got there because he is a good rider. I wouldn't want any other drafts than the ones we have.

I wonder if all the riders that refused to race in the first SGP of the season got fined, when weather condition were much better than this

Edited by mdmc82

Its so obvious to all concerned that heat 10 was the watershed, destined to be reached whatever the circumstances. Every race that was ridden, was looked at as one less to go. Whether there was a foot of water, a dozen riders injured, or a hurricane, that heat ten was going to be reached.

It is wrong that the BSPA have allowed SKY to have such a stranglehold on proceedings when they are in town. If the Riders and Team Managers wanted it to stop, this could only be achieved by working together, and Sky knows this.

Probably the point allocation ought to be looked at. To me it is wrong for a team, to be rewarded full points, when only half the meeting was completed. By the same token I think it be wrong to continue with the watershed of heat 10. So trying to be positive in this negative time, a suggestion that might be considered for future years.

TEAMS: There is to be no early finish for maximum points.

A meeting agreed to be called off between heats 6 and 10 the winning team to receive 1 pt;

A meeting agreed to be called off between heats 10 and 14 the winning team to receive 2 pts;

Meaning the meeting has to go the full 15 heats to receive the full points.

Both teams will want to carry on, whenever possible, instead only taking a solitary point.

SUPPORTERS:

When meeting is abandoned early, on the representing of the gate ticket, a reduction will be granted based on the number of heats that was not run. Ticket only valid for next 2 home meetings, or the corresponding one, the following year.

Thinking only of the sport, I was trying to safeguard against the Fans, the Riders and the Clubs, after the disaster that happened this week.

• Like 2

To reply I didn't say that Sky drove the tractor but they have the last say as tithe setup of the track, why should they have that power?. I defy any reasonable fan to suggest that this meeting should have started or continued as the evening went on downright dangerous after beat 8.

They have that power because the promoters gave it to them in 2009! And its legally bound