British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Coventry V Poole 1/6/15

Too bloody right they should and I can't believe I'm going to say this but Horton should be compensated for what he lost on the attendance and his expenses for what was a farce of a meeting and the cash for both should be stumped up by SKY. That attendance would have been higher normally even with sky there. Lets be honest there was always going to be 10 heats but who wants to pay full whack for that and any Poole fans that did show up deserve their fuel money and lost money for time off work back too also to be stumped up by SKY who literally do not give a s*** about hardworking loyal fans.

what...! utter rubbish.

He got money from Sky to compensate the armchair fans and he (only he) chose to charge full price on the door, no discounts or anything. If he'd have taken the initiative to do what Swindon did the week before then his pocket wouldn't be so 'light' as you put it as people would have bought the fiver ticket and then may not have turned up, but the money would've been in his back pocket.

• Like 1

I agree. Garrity seems to put himself under more pressure when sky are there for some reason as it's always those meetings he seems to fall or touch tapes in.

He didn't get to the top of the reserve draft by falling off all the time. He got there because he is a good rider. I wouldn't want any other drafts than the ones we have.

I wonder if all the riders that refused to race in the first SGP of the season got fined, when weather condition were much better than this

There is no denying his ability but whenever i have seen him he has been excluded or hit the deck, he just needs to be a bit less wild and controlled. Exciting to watch though.

I've not read all the current 43 pages on this thread so please forgive me if this has already been covered but does a football match result stand if its called off after 60 minutes (2/3rds) of its allocated time ? No it doesn't and formula 1 Grand Prix racing only awards 1/2 points if a race is curtailed before it run its course ! The 10 heat rule definitely requires looking at .

This meeting was only run because sky were there and should never have happened .

It turned into a total farce and shame on the sport (if you can call it a sport) for allowing it to descend to new levels of incompetence !

Seems that you have hit the nail on the head with this one. Why should any team who win a meeting that is run to heat 10 just to get a result, come away with 3 or 4 points. The very least the should get is half points. Can't see that the fans would have any problems with that. Also the fans should get a half price refund at the gate on the next meeting they go to. In this time, it could well be 4 or 5 meetings before they can go again, as with me it costs around £60 a meeting what with my admission and my grandsons a programme a couple of quid on the raffle they run, another 6 quid on over priced coffee and diesel to get there. So I have to pick and choose when I go now. We went to far more meetings when it was at Pl as the admissions prices where not so bad as the £18 charged now, can't really say the racing is any different and we still see many of the same riders as we did before.

So the refund should stand for all season.

I agree. Garrity seems to put himself under more pressure when sky are there for some reason as it's always those meetings he seems to fall or touch tapes in.

He didn't get to the top of the reserve draft by falling off all the time. He got there because he is a good rider. I wouldn't want any other drafts than the ones we have.

I wonder if all the riders that refused to race in the first SGP of the season got fined, when weather condition were much better than this

Whatever you think of Garrity, He may be exciting to watch, but he a liability to the Club and himself. Looking back to Monday night his attitude was the main reason why Coventry lost. I know there have been many meetings where Garrity has been the match winner, and been the difference between tight matches. But sometimes he needs to step back and take stock. Probably a better and more astute Manager would keep his feet firmly on the ground, instead of continuing blowing sunshine up this @rse.

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 1

Whatever you think of Garrity, He may be exciting to watch, but he a liability to the Club and himself. Looking back to Monday night his attitude was the main reason why Coventry lost. I know there have been many meetings where Garrity has been the match winner, and been the difference between tight matches. But sometimes he needs to step back and take stock. Probably a better and more astute Manager would keep his feet firmly on the ground, instead of continuing blowing sunshine up this @rse.

Spot on.

He is great to watch but it's as though he's from another era, so reminiscent of when Havvy came on the scene along with Joe Screen, Stoney et al, proper rum northern lads with no fear. Gary will no doubt be cutting him loads of slack because he's been there himself and doesn't want to clip his wings, trouble is speedway has moved on and riders have to be 100% focused if they want to be successful. Jason's antics on Monday cost Coventry any chance of getting league points, despite the weather.

I hope he does calm down because I love watching riders like him when they are on song, in fact both of them need to watch the recording of Monday's meeting a good few times, no fast forwarding, just watch what most of us saw and have a think about how it all came across, not pretty at all.

Its so obvious to all concerned that heat 10 was the watershed, destined to be reached whatever the circumstances. Every race that was ridden, was looked at as one less to go. Whether there was a foot of water, a dozen riders injured, or a hurricane, that heat ten was going to be reached.

It is wrong that the BSPA have allowed SKY to have such a stranglehold on proceedings when they are in town. If the Riders and Team Managers wanted it to stop, this could only be achieved by working together, and Sky knows this.

Probably the point allocation ought to be looked at. To me it is wrong for a team, to be rewarded full points, when only half the meeting was completed.

Not just sky thou is it ? Horton done the same v Lakeside and there are many more matches ...once a match starts one side or another is going to try and get the match to heat 10 ...This is nothing new as in the old days teams would try to get to heat six not to give fans a refund .

• Like 2

One thing that doesn't sit right with me is the fact that a meeting steward or Sky stooge has so much say in the running of the meeting. You end up with meetings in the same competition being handled differently and dependant on the amount of Sky broadcast you take part in you can be potentially helped or hindered dependant on this guys input, a guy with influence who isn't at all fixtures. I just think rules or administrative practice should be the same across the board.

The problem is Speedway live matches should not be on television. Televising Speedway has done no favours in this country. The sooner it is taken off the TV the better. I would think the gates have gone down by two thirds since the Elite League has been on Sky.

• Like 1

I'm going to repeat whats has already been said but unless we keep repeating it the powers that be won't listen. The issue with the heat 10 rules is that if a meeting gets to heat 10 and it's dangerous, they call the meeting off and award the points, I think we all get and agree to that. Where we have an issue is if they get to heat 4,5,6,7,8 or 9 and it gets dangerous they say, "we just have to get to heat 10" - that is wrong! If it's bad, it's bad and should be stopped - not "just 2/3/4/5 more heats".

I'll never forget at the Aces v Poole match when Middleditch was interviewed following the cancellation after heat 10. He said when riders like NKI are coming off that tells you something it is correct to call it off.

NKI came off yet Middleditch happily sent out his riders AFTER this, knowing the track was dangerous.

Utter utter scumbag.

• Like 7

It isn't a good idea to have a Heat 10 cut-off. With it, there is a mindset of just getting the damn thing to this point, no matter what slap-stick is going on. It makes promoters gamble, putting on a match they know they can get to Heat 10. It makes fans, in the knowledge of seeing just 10 Heats for their cash with rain forecast later on, stay at home.

I have heard Nigel Pearson say it loads of time when there's been a rain threat: "We only have to get to Heat.."

Imagine it, if a result could be declared after the first heat. I bet there wouldn't be a match called off anywhere, in a slap-dash attempt to fleece a public of its wads. It is a naive attempt to cover up riders having too many other meetings elsewhere. We mustn't have a re-run, the riders have no dates free for one of those.

If a match can't be given its true time, then why bother?

I recall matches being rained off and a date for the re-staging being announced as we left the stadium. That possibly can't happen these days.

There are so many other factors now - for instance, like many riders not being allowed out next time because of other interests.

The other night at Coventry proved once again that speedway is being pulled all over the place in the best interest of various parties and the people that really matter, the paying public, are left to vent their feelings on social network while the money-makers live to ruin another day.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3

It isn't a good idea to have a Heat 10 cut-off. With it, there is a mindset of just getting the damn thing to this point, no matter what slap-stick is going on. It makes promoters gamble, putting on a match they know they can get to Heat 10. It makes fans, in the knowledge of seeing just 10 Heats for their cash with rain forecast later on, stay at home.

I have heard Nigel Pearson say it loads of time when there's been a rain threat: "We only have to get to Heat.."

Imagine it, if a result could be declared after the first heat. I bet there wouldn't be a match called off anywhere, in a slap-dash attempt to fleece a public of its wads. It is a naive attempt to cover up riders having too many other meetings elsewhere. We mustn't have a re-run, the riders have no dates free for one of those.

If a match can't be given its true time, then why bother?

I recall matches being rained off and a date for the re-staging being announced as we left the stadium. That possibly can't happen these days.

There are so many other factors now - for instance, like many riders not being allowed out next time because of other interests.

The other night at Coventry proved once again that speedway is being pulled all over the place in the best interest of various parties and the people that really matter, the paying public, are left to vent their feelings on social network while the money-makers live to ruin another day.

Completely agree. The track was not "dangerous" - blimey, speedway itself is actually really dangerous. It was just wet and 66 seconds for 4 laps is not bad - they didn't look in too much difficulty. Those conditions do make racing a little more tricky due to visibility but I believe it was a red herring for getting it cancelled before Ht 10 - do away with the "result stands" bit and let the refs decide as they have always done in the past. By the way, there was information yesterday from Sky to say they have no involvement in the decisions to postpone meetings and that those decisions fall squarely to the BSPA.

I can't believe I'm going to do this because I'm far from a fan of his but I have to defend Havelock. What Havelock did showed true integrity, something that is sadly lacking. It was his opinion that the track was unsafe to race on, an opinion held and apparently agreed on by even some in the Poole ranks, before the rerun of heat 10. He was promised a visual track inspection would take place and this was not forthcoming. His refusal to allow his riders to take to what he considered and unsafe track which had not been inspected and what followed when Holder lost control probably saved riders from injury. He was the only one there prepared to actually take a stand.

I also feel for Horton - not a fan of his really either. There is little doubt that had this not been a Sky meeting it would have been postponed early morning the same at the Wolves and Belle Vue meetings. I've been to plenty of meetings at Brandon in the last 10 years and I can tell you that whether or not it's on Sky it's the biggest pay day of the season when Poole are in town.

Forget blame and petty rivalries for a moment - British Speedway was the loser on Monday and frankly it can't afford that to be the case many more times!!

• Like 8

I can't believe I'm going to do this because I'm far from a fan of his but I have to defend Havelock. What Havelock did showed true integrity, something that is sadly lacking. It was his opinion that the track was unsafe to race on, an opinion held and apparently agreed on by even some in the Poole ranks, before the rerun of heat 10. He was promised a visual track inspection would take place and this was not forthcoming. His refusal to allow his riders to take to what he considered and unsafe track which had not been inspected and what followed when Holder lost control probably saved riders from injury. He was the only one there prepared to actually take a stand.

I also feel for Horton - not a fan of his really either. There is little doubt that had this not been a Sky meeting it would have been postponed early morning the same at the Wolves and Belle Vue meetings. I've been to plenty of meetings at Brandon in the last 10 years and I can tell you that whether or not it's on Sky it's the biggest pay day of the season when Poole are in town.

Forget blame and petty rivalries for a moment - British Speedway was the loser on Monday and frankly it can't afford that to be the case many more times!!

Brilliant unbiased post. Spot on

• Like 1