British Speedway Forum

Rounded the weekend off at Peterborough this afternoon for the PL meeting against Redcar those who thought the GP was good should have been at Pboro top class racing loads of passing not all about gate 1 - all in all a good weekend 3 meetings in 3 days and I guess 2 out of three ain't bad - will do Cardiff again next year as the social side out weighs the speedway for me at Cardiff Somerset PL pairs is always good will do that again .

Most boring event i watched in my life. Only Janowski tried to use the outside once only to find out there's no point to do so. Start>1st turn>filling in the race card. Any Polish league game, regardless the league, is more entertaining than this "something". Anti-speedway. If not Tai'ski there would be nothing to see there. I'll never go to Cardiff again. Even undergoing Individual Championships of Poland have more in common with speedway than British GP. A farce.

For a non native English speaker, you do parody exceptionally well
  • Like 5

Liked the tribute on the back of Tai's kevlars - 'This one is for Rob, Daz & Shaz'.

Having just watched my recording of the meeting, this didn't seem to be picked up by Pearson & Tatum unlike Greg's tribute to Darren Boocock - but I may have missed it.

There's nothing new or unique about one particular start grid offering a huge advantage, not even in the 'great old days' when of course very single race featured so many overtakes, you couldn't keep track.

• Like 1

Chrissy Boy only had 2 gate 1s in the main meeting that's luck of the draw just as Magic had two gate 4s. S××t happens the other 2 gate 1s were down to Holder getting 1st pick due to being best up to each occasion on the night where the choice was available.

Re Kildemand laying it down to gain an advantage it's part and parcel of the sport and you no doubt think it's great when a KL rider does it.

Garrity didn't T bone Lambert he did knock him off if he had've T boned him they would've both gone down.

You need to take your rose tinted star shaped glasses off

I wasn't having a dig at Holder, just pointing out how the gates were ridiculously bias. Obviously he would pick the best gates as would everyone else. but there shouldn't have been such a difference. In 23 races. Gate 4 never provided a winner......

Please don't be so keen to treat others like yourself, everyone is different. I have never agreed with the ref stopping races whether it be for KL or not., just because someone lays the bikes down, To me, Rights - Right, and wrongs is nobody business..

As for the Garrity incident, I suggest you watch the recording again. Your logic makes me laugh....... It appears you are the one with rose tinted specks...........

The track was 100% better than Warsaw, it's only taken 15 years, now Ole has 10 years to make the gates even

Great to see Iversen win, bet lots of money was lost on Woffy.

I wasn't having a dig at Holder, just pointing out how the gates were ridiculously bias. Obviously he would pick the best gates as would everyone else. but there shouldn't have been such a difference. In 23 races. Gate 4 never provided a winner......

Please don't be so keen to treat others like yourself, everyone is different. I have never agreed with the ref stopping races whether it be for KL or not., just because someone lays the bikes down, To me, Rights - Right, and wrongs is nobody business..

As for the Garrity incident, I suggest you watch the recording again. Your logic makes me laugh....... It appears you are the one with rose tinted specks...........

You in your original post did mention the bias of the gates but you said it was unfair that Hoĺder (through his own efforts getting 2 of them )getting 4 gate 1s

If you don't cheer when your team gains an unfair advantage I congratulate you though you must be of a special breed to not cheer

Lambert left a gap Garrity went for it his back wheel hit Lambert side on and Lambert fell off nothing like a T bone.

IMO a T bone is when you hit a rider at a right angle not when you're parallel with them as if that was the case in heat 20 Bomber was T boned twice by Kildemand on the back straight.

Edited by Triple.H.
  • Like 1

It would seem most peopl think that "racing" in Cardiff is what speedway looks like mostly because they have no comparission beside UK leagues witch are ones of the weakest in the world.

And just how many leagues are there in the world...? Are you seriously suggesting the British leagues are weaker than the likes of the German or Finnish?

Did you? I shared my opinion about the event i watched live on stadium. You'll notice the difference between this and speedway after GP in Poland. Warsaw GP was destroyed by BSI and Olsen not Us. Imagine if Warsaw was more spectacular than Cardiff? BSI would lose the rest of public where speedway is basically dead in UK. Just think for yourself and connect the dots.

Stop swallowing the OneSport propaganda and accept BSI were just inept. Why on earth would they want an event with 55K to be a failure?

There's no conspiracy against Poland, and BSI certainly don't do British speedway any favours.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I think sir h he is attempting to spread the one sport propaganda rather than swallowing it.

Most boring event i watched in my life. Only Janowski tried to use the outside once only to find out there's no point to do so. Start>1st turn>filling in the race card. Any Polish league game, regardless the league, is more entertaining than this "something". Anti-speedway. If not Tai'ski there would be nothing to see there. I'll never go to Cardiff again. Even undergoing Individual Championships of Poland have more in common with speedway than British GP. A farce.

Can I ask why you attended, you must have seen previous GPs at Cardiff on the tv. The racing was on a par with previous years.

People as usual here prattle about 'facts', apart from paranoid Poles who have as much understanding of the sport as a wood louse. Here's four:

Red/Gate 1 59 points

Blue/Gate 2 34 points

White/Gate 3 23 points

Yellow/Gate 4 22 points

And following those, here's a few opinions:

That gate bias is not acceptable.

Despite this we got some good racing, but mainly for the minor positions behind red.

Tai and NKI's racing in the closing stages was quite superb and NKI's overcoming having gate 4 twice and gate 3 in the final really made him a very worthy winner.

I've seen far worse speedway and the track held up well but the gate in which a rider started was just far too important for a genuine sport, rather than a heavily hyped fan get together with plenty of booze and shouting, oh yes plus a bit of speedway, some of which was interesting.

I'm just glad I didn't pay those prices.....

• Like 2

the only meeting I can recall with similar a gate bias was the 2013 NZ GP, when 15/23 winners were off gate 1, had 55 points scored (including a last place of gate one for Jason Bunyan. Next highest gate 3 with 38 points) . The racing at Cardiff was much better though than at Western Springs.

Going back through time, the 1985 world final had I believe 10 of the opening heats won off gate1, though the advantage faded after the interval, which iff anything exacerbated the unfairness (Sam Ermolenko was the key beneficiary, having two gate 1s before the interval). And the other extreme, at Gothenburg in 1980 I believe only 19 points were scored off gate3. Red hot pre meeting favourite Dave Jessup drew that gate twice, managing two seconds, as he finished runer up to Mike Lee.

Anyway, I enjoyed the meeting, even if it was somewhat marred by the gate advantage. Superb ride by Tai in heat 19. Not sure I'd say it is the best ever meeting on a temporary track as one earlier poster claimed (I'd say Western Springs 2014 was better for one), but the racing WAS good - certainly can't understand people saying they were disapointed, there was good racing, good performances by the Brits, debut GP appearances for two young Brits, Nicki P picking up an exclusion, good refereeing, decent crowd - all in all an excellent advertisement for speedway.

People as usual here prattle about 'facts', apart from paranoid Poles who have as much understanding of the sport as a wood louse. Here's four:

Red/Gate 1 59 points

Blue/Gate 2 34 points

White/Gate 3 23 points

Yellow/Gate 4 22 points

And following those, here's a few opinions:

That gate bias is not acceptable.

Despite this we got some good racing, but mainly for the minor positions behind red.

Tai and NKI's racing in the closing stages was quite superb and NKI's overcoming having gate 4 twice and gate 3 in the final really made him a very worthy winner.

I've seen far worse speedway and the track held up well but the gate in which a rider started was just far too important for a genuine sport, rather than a heavily hyped fan get together with plenty of booze and shouting, oh yes plus a bit of speedway, some of which was interesting.

I'm just glad I didn't pay those prices.....

We had the top 16 riders in the world on show, but even the best gaters couldn't make gate 4 work. Never seen such gate biasness before, and as I previously said, it took the shine off the meeting. Never before has such importance been put on the gate selection order for the semi and final.

Just so pleased the meeting wasn't determined by that advantage. NKI, proving a worthy winner, coming from gate 3. .

• Like 1

You in your original post did mention the bias of the gates but you said it was unfair that Hoĺder (through his own efforts getting 2 of them )getting 4 gate 1s

If you don't cheer when your team gains an unfair advantage I congratulate you though you must be of a special breed to not cheer

Lambert left a gap Garrity went for it his back wheel hit Lambert side on and Lambert fell off nothing like a T bone.

IMO a T bone is when you hit a rider at a right angle not when you're parallel with them as if that was the case in heat 20 Bomber was T boned twice by Kildemand on the back straight.

Lambert left a gap!!

Mate im an Ipswich fan, Kings Lynn are out bitter rivals, but that was just reckless. He rode into the side of him there was no gap at all, just desperation not to come last from Garrity!

If riders left 'that sort of gap' and riders did what Garrity did there would be about 10 falls a meeting!

• Like 1

Not had chance to read through the pages yet, but as you can imagine, well pleased with the result of the SGP. I thought the meeting was OK. the track was the best I've seen, but to me the preferences of the gate positions really spoiled the meeting. For the first 16 heats, It appeared gate 1 guaranteed a win.. There were many minor positional changes, but usually, when you got to the front you were home and dry.... It showed up on the screen after 20 races, 16 from gate1 2 from Gates 2 and 3, and if you were on the outside you had no chance. and that to me is so unfair....... Holder actually had 4 gate1's in 7 races, whereas some only had 1,

Kildemand went down in my estimation. In one instance, he twice going to ground so easily just to get the rerun. Seeing some of the angles he achieves when he rides he, more than most could have tried to recover instead of pulling a fast one. and then he later he tries to fence Magic down the home straight. really showed him up in a good light, what a nice man...

Garrity 'Tee-Bone' on Lambert was ruthless in the extreme, But Doyle and Pedersen on Killer, were just brushing 50/50 racing incidents, with no intent. They're expected in this sport...... Ref's need to look at that rule.... When riders bale out, there should be other options instead of automatic blame....

Good night, Plenty noise, Plenty drinks, Lots of cocktails. even the surprised Winner in Niels, added to the accession, all adding to a wonderful weekend........

Expensive though!!!!!!!

Great summary of it from my POV too. Tai and NKI passes at the end were worth the admission fee alone.

I agree completely about Kildemand. Soft exclusions, and when you see how NKI passed Pedersen (who stayed on), that is what racing is all about.

I also backed NKI at 14/1 before the meet too so that pretty much paid for the weekend!!