British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummies_Ste

Cradley V Brummies Wed 24th June

Well done brummies,closer than I expected to be honest with a depleted team.

I'm confused, which team was depleted?

Cradley only had 1 rider missing at the start of the meeting.

Both teams lost their number 6 rider so that didn't disadvantage one side more than the other.

• Like 1

Missing Neale and Greaves wasnt they, weknow wud of been different with those 2. Losin phillips made them stronger thou. Fairplay brummies, deserved. Looking great for the league. No complaints here, injuries happeen.

At last, revenge for the last meeting at the Ladbroke in 1983. Yay!

WELL DONE BIRMINGHAM, there i've said it, Enjoy the moment brummies & don't forget that when Adam Kirby has a bad night you stay off his back.

Mdmc82, im unsure if your comment was tongue in cheek, Cradley had their second heat leader missing so had to rely on rr, then to suggest having both No6s out cancelled each other out is total bull*hit, as Brums No6 has barely scored a point all season, whereas Mikey has a 5+ av and would likely have taken 2 rr rides, so it was comparable to losing not 2 but 2+ riders. Well done Brum on a good win which has just about ended Cradleys League title hopes.

Mdmc82, im unsure if your comment was tongue in cheek, Cradley had their second heat leader missing so had to rely on rr, then to suggest having both No6s out cancelled each other out is total bull*hit, as Brums No6 has barely scored a point all season, whereas Mikey has a 5+ av and would likely have taken 2 rr rides, so it was comparable to losing not 2 but 2+ riders. Well done Brum on a good win which has just about ended Cradleys League title hopes.

Blimey lose one match and your title hopes have gone? I wish that were true but its not and last nights result was not the end of the world for Cradley. All it means is that, from your point of view, you have to win the return fixture. Something you are more than capable of.

As a Brummie fan I am not taking anything for granted at this point. I have heard no fat lady singing and their are other dangerous teams beside Birmingham and Cradley that will yet have something to say about the ultimate destination of the title.

While I am thinking about it. The Cradley fans that cheered when Adam Ellis came off at high speed. Shame on you. Probably be taling about that on tonights speedway tavern which will have interviews from the skip, The grasshopper, Sam and match winner Kirby.

While I am thinking about it. The Cradley fans that cheered when Adam Ellis came off at high speed. Shame on you. Probably be taling about that on tonights speedway tavern which will have interviews from the skip, The grasshopper, Sam and match winner Kirby.

When doing so, ask the question of whether the "cheering" is intended personally at the rider in question, or is it an expression of relief that a fans own team is better off and no longer in danger of losing a point? It may be a delicate subject, but I doubt if Birmingham's fans are any more saintly than any others, and I don't for a minute think that any fans actually wish harm on any opponent. I wonder how many people who live in glass houses will be phoning you on the matter to throw some stones? Maybe you should ask them to watch videos of Nicki Pedersen going into some fences before they contribute to the debate, because I know what reaction the sight of that generally generates?

• Like 1

Hardly your second heat leader as neither of your top 2 could take a r/r. Just a second string

No not tongue in cheek at all. Lots of teams have to use RR for a heat leader esp if missing due to injury or PL commitments.

Does that mean Coventry can say they are depleted everytime they have been missing Greenwood or Birmingham missed Ellis due to PL 😂😂😂

Birmingham are the strongest team in the league and I'm sure other teams will also lose to them. They are title favourites. There's no shame in losing to them

Edited by mdmc82

I take your point but I don't accept it, No1 can be covered by a guest, Ellis/Clegg etc etc, but there is a vast difference in Nathan Greaves rides being taken by (Luke Harris) in no way are they of comparable ability at this moment in time. Those who say it's only 1 defeat it's actually 3 meetings that we have lost now, and without Nathan we will continue to struggle, Yes I am a Cradley fan but I'm also a realist, as for making changes to the Team if there was a rider available who could cover Nathan yes sign him, as for other changes I really don't see the point in signing like for like.

What happened to the 2 x Number 6's?

As I suspected Mikey Neale missing was decisive. The top 4 on either side scored almost identically however it was the Brum lower order that made the difference (humble pie).

Losing Phillips was a blessing for Brum and allowing the other the extra rides. In the ned the match winner was Kkkkir, Kirb,.....I cant say it!

• Like 1

Both number 6's fell in Heat 2, Govier was able to continue but suffered another fall and an engine failure before having to withdraw. Phillips was a nastier fall and he withdrew after that heat. Kirby did everything that he needed to do in as much as he beat Harris whenever they met (I think) and also popped out in Heat 14 for the match sealing 5-1 with the massively impressive Watknecht who went under 60 seconds a couple of times and lowered the fastest time of the season

It said in the programme last night when the averages change Ellis Perks will go back to reserve following his struggles recently, which may be good timing with having to cover Nathan's rides with R/R and Perks just hitting some form again. July is quiet with fixtures so if Mike Neale can make it back within a few weeks things may not look so bad, especially as Nathan's average is due to go up giving more options for R/R.

When doing so, ask the question of whether the "cheering" is intended personally at the rider in question, or is it an expression of relief that a fans own team is better off and no longer in danger of losing a point? It may be a delicate subject, but I doubt if Birmingham's fans are any more saintly than any others, and I don't for a minute think that any fans actually wish harm on any opponent. I wonder how many people who live in glass houses will be phoning you on the matter to throw some stones? Maybe you should ask them to watch videos of Nicki Pedersen going into some fences before they contribute to the debate, because I know what reaction the sight of that generally generates?

I have no doubt in the overwhelming majority of cases that it is an 'expression of relief' as you put it, and its almost certain that every track has fans who choose to behave in such a fashion.

As to fans wishing harm on riders, I suspect that some might quite like to see a rider notorious for making dirty moves getting his comeuppance at the hand of another - providing the outcome isn't too serious.

I once saw a rider (at a track that no longer exists) savagely barracked by members of the home crowd for apparently throwing a race (he was at the back, his partner on a TR third). The barracking continued right up until the point that the ambulance came out - as it happened, he'd broken his ankle.

To me, therefore, its a matter of thinking before reacting. After all, its far from impossible that a video might show a rider being seriously injured - or even paying the ultimate price - to the sound of fans celebrating.

In such circumstances, you & I (and other speedway fans) might appreciate the point about 'expression of relief' but I suspect our voices would utterly drowned by those expressing repugnance and horror.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I will certainly bring all of your points up on tonights show. Many thanks

sports-radio.co.uk

speedway tavern 8pm