British Speedway Forum
drvortexz

Somerset And The Confederate Flag

Just for the indigenous population?

No - for everyone - including the indigenous Population.

No - for everyone - including the indigenous Population.

Good. I'm glad you clarified that. It wasn't clear the first time round.

Clearly there is no intent to offend by the Somerset Rebels, as I am sure there was no intent to offend by the Oxford or White City Rebels before them. And for the British speedway audience oblivious to the offence the flag causes to others, they too have gone unoffended. Myself included. But you have to recognise that it is a flag that causes genuine offence to people, internationally now, not just in the US. I think it needs a re-think.

I like the position of the Pope on issues like this. And its not often I say that - particularly in relation to speedway. Freedom of expression is one thing, but if you offend my mum, expect a punch on the nose.

• Like 3

But you have to recognise that it is a flag that causes genuine offence to people, internationally now, not just in the US. I think it needs a re-think.

Sad thing is that the Union flag causes genuine offence to some people, as does the Stars and Stripes. Where does it end?

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Sad thing is that the Union flag causes genuine offence to some people, as does the Stars and Stripes. Where does it end?

Steve

THAT is a very good point chunky. :t:

Steve

Some flags represent a geographical area. If people take offence, that's up to them.

Some flags represent a philosophy. If people take offence at that philosophy, that's more understandable.

• Like 1

Maybe everything should be in black and white and have numbers on,,, can't see too much wrong with that,,, apart from it would be canny boring :(

But you have to recognise that it is a flag that causes genuine offence to people, internationally now, not just in the US. I think it needs a re-think.

and that's the problem.

We've had to be told that it's offensive or to be offended by it where as previously we didn't know or weren't offended. This is the PC that people complain about. There wasn't a problem and now there is.

If people want to hold on to historic vendettas they will always find something to rally behind or be offended by but just let the rest of us get on with life whatever colour or race we are!

I

• Like 2

This is the biggest pile of stinking politically correct poo there is. Because some nutter went on the rampage and posed with the flag everyone seems to be jumping on the social media fueled bandwagon calling for it to be banned. The Confederate Flag is a part of US heritage. The US government should be more concerned about sorting out their gun laws before deciding if a flag should be banned. I've not been on the forum for a while so sorry if I'm a bit behind here but it did cross my mind if pressure would be put on Somerset speedway to change their logo. If people find the Confederate flag offensive they need to get psychiatric help. OK people will say its associated with slavery but if we want to go down that route then lets ban the Union Jack. After all didn't we once have a mighty empire built on slavery and colonialism? Lets ban the Irish tricolor as it has links to the IRA and while we are at it lets ban the French flag because they are French!

Some people have called for Allo Allo to banned because they wear Nazi uniform in it. My point here is some people need to get a grip in life.

• Like 2

and that's the problem.

We've had to be told that it's offensive or to be offended by it where as previously we didn't know or weren't offended. This is the PC that people complain about. There wasn't a problem and now there is.

If people want to hold on to historic vendettas they will always find something to rally behind or be offended by but just let the rest of us get on with life whatever colour or race we are!

I

Surely you aren't saying education is wrong and leaving people to be ignorant is the way to go as long as they are happy?The fact that people don't know the emblem might be offensive to some doesn't make its use ok and we should all be receptive to new information,surely?

• Like 1

Surely you aren't saying education is wrong and leaving people to be ignorant is the way to go as long as they are happy?The fact that people don't know the emblem might be offensive to some doesn't make its use ok and we should all be receptive to new information,surely?

How on earth is telling people to be offended by something that isn't intended to be offensive educational?

It's just creating a problem in places where previously it didn't exist.

There are always going to be places where racial tension exists unfortunately but why create a problem ?

If people aren't offended by something, why tell them they should be?

• Like 1

How on earth is telling people to be offended by something that isn't intended to be offensive educational?

There are always going to be places where racial tension exists unfortunately but why create a problem ?

Can't you understand a simple statement?It isn't about telling people to be offended.It is telling people that it is a controversial emblem that does offend others.It also has nothing whatsoever to do with Somerset,so there is no real reason to use it.So why use something that offends others when it is quite easy to use something more relevant to Somerset that isn't controversial.It just appears to me to be stupid and inconsiderate to continue with it once it ha been pointed out how offensive and controversial it is

• Like 1

........................ and therein lies the problem.

Good Post.

• Like 1

Can't you understand a simple statement?It isn't about telling people to be offended.It is tellings people that it is a controversial emblem that does offend others.It also has nothing whatsoever to do with Somerset,so there is no real reason to use it.So why use something that offends others when it is quite easy to use something more relevant to Somerset that isn't controversial.It just appears to me to be stupid and inconsiderate to continue with it once it ha been pointed out how offensive and controversial it is

But it's only offensive because people either choose or are told to be offended by it. Can't you understand that?

Like I said, most people are happy to get on with life whatever colour they are.

If my biggest problem in life was a flag I would be a happy man!

Edited by AFCB Wildcat
  • Like 2

and that's the problem.

I

Actually what happens is that humanity evolves. What is right and accepted and the norm changes. You only have to watch a 70s sitcom to see what is considered acceptable then is offensive now. Or would you be happier for black people to be referred to it an openly derogatory way now?

With regards to the confederate flag, I am not massively offended, nor massively in support. I am indifferent to it. Which I suspect you are too. But other people are hugely offended by its connotations. So what takes priority - our indifference or the huge offence taken by others?

• Like 1