British Speedway Forum
drvortexz

Somerset And The Confederate Flag

Well go on then im intrigued. I tried to treat your post with the contempt it deserved but explain why anything I wrote would lead you to ask that pathetic & insulting question.

A bit like Iris who had to suggest that "I don't understand a statement" when in fact I just don't agree!

For the record I don't think humanity has evolved. Racist remarks have had to be policed out of the mainstream but thats not to say that the same bigotry doesn't exist anymore because unfortunately it does.

Sadly racial hatred & intolerance on all sides is still alive & well for those who wish to persue it but Somersets flag is the least of the problems.

If you think I am accusing you of being a racist, I apologise. That certainly wasn't my intention.

The question I was asking was that if you are happy to tolerate a flag that does cause offence to people, are you also willing to tolerate the type of casual racism we used to see on TV? I hope that's clearer now and in no way infers you are racist. Tolerance is one thing, respect for others is another.

Thankfully, you are wrong that humanity doesn't evolve. Prejudice will always exist. But the ending of racial segregation in the US, the break-up of apartheid in South Africa and equal rights for homosexuality in the UK are all significant developments that I would guess have taken place in your lifetime alone. That's progress - all driven by a change in public mood rather than by politicians.

I look forward to a trip to Somerset at some point this summer. Will I be hugely offended by their use of the Confederate flag? No. Do I think it an appropriate symbol for a Westcountry team in a family-friendly sport in 2015? No.

If you think I am accusing you of being a racist, I apologise. That certainly wasn't my intention.

The question I was asking was that if you are happy to tolerate a flag that does cause offence to people, are you also willing to tolerate the type of casual racism we used to see on TV? I hope that's clearer now and in no way infers you are racist. Tolerance is one thing, respect for others is another.

Thankfully, you are wrong that humanity doesn't evolve. Prejudice will always exist. But the ending of racial segregation in the US, the break-up of apartheid in South Africa and equal rights for homosexuality in the UK are all significant developments that I would guess have taken place in your lifetime alone. That's progress - all driven by a change in public mood rather than by politicians.

I look forward to a trip to Somerset at some point this summer. Will I be hugely offended by their use of the Confederate flag? No. Do I think it an appropriate symbol for a Westcountry team in a family-friendly sport in 2015? No.

Thank you for the explanation and sorry that I took it the wrong way.

Obviously the flag has deeper meaning in the States than it does here and the thread was specifically about if Somerset should continue to use it.

My concern was that by making an issue of it's racist implications in the UK it might now be adopted by idiots here to cause offence or indeed take offence when all the flag has been is a symbol of country music, the rockabilly culture & the dukes of Hazard type stuff that people here enjoy and should be able to continue to without being made to feel guilty in some way.

• Like 3

I have seen the Somerset Rebels since they raced Club CH, so to h**l with PC and long may the Race Jacket/name reign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................................DISCSUSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dukes Of Hazzard reign supreme OK???????????????????

Edited by berniev123

I have seen the Somerset Rebels since they raced Club CH, so to h**l with PC and long may the Race Jacket/name reign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................................DISCSUSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dukes Of Hazzard reign supreme OK???????????????????

"igigigigig - I'll get them Dook Boys"

Quote: Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Quote: Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane.

It seemed to go largely unnoticed, but we recently lost James Best. Him and Boss Hogg were the real stars of that show.

• Like 3

If it's of any inte rest to any body a documentary called I think "inside the klu klux klan" on Monday night one of their offices was covered in the confederate flags. Make of that what you will.

Edited by longlivefrankie

If it's of any inte rest to any body a documentary called I think "inside the klu klux klan" on Monday night one of their offices was covered in the confederate flags. Make of that what you will.

What time ??? ;)

It seemed to go largely unnoticed, but we recently lost James Best. Him and Boss Hogg were the real stars of that show.

Daisy Duke surely?

What an actress!

Daisy Duke surely?

What an actress!

Absolutely! So good they named hot pants after her.

And the National Front used the Union Flag. Make of that what you will...

Steve

• Like 1

I hope this whole sorry debacle doesn't have an affect on the availability of 'Southern Comfort' in the UK :(

I hope this whole sorry debacle doesn't have an affect on the availability of 'Southern Comfort' in the UK :(

You are better off with a Single Malt. 'Scotch' of course. :t::approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

• Like 1

You are better off with a Single Malt. 'Scotch' of course. :t::approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

no way,,, a would spew, a like scotch eggs, scotch pies, scotch broth and haggis tho,,, irn-bru is ok :)

Interesting thoughts on the flag on here....worth watching the whole way through.

well they sort of still have slavery in the UK, but they call it the minimum wage, it's a disgrace :(