British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Future Of Scunthorpe Scorpions

Quick question,all the talk seems to be about closing and that August 31st may be the last meeting,why does Rob not put the club up for sale to see if there are any interested party's in taking over the club instead of the scorpions disappearing into the wilderness, there are constant owner changes at other clubs why is scunthorpe different

Don't know why I asked this; I've been DEFUNCTED without a track and long enough I should know the pack drill by now!

Me too.

Alright, alright, I won't go to Owlerton tonight and I will go Scunny to watch Peterboro' take 'em to bits instead!

Just remember Mr. Godfrey that I am passing up the opportunity to watch Messrs. Carr, Cookie and best of all applaud one of the World Long Track Team winners, so your lads had better not go belly up without a fight!

What's this nonsense about £10 admission?

I seem to remember I was paying £6 to watch Cradley in 1982?

Are you sure it shouldn't still be 4/3d you skinflints?

Alright, alright, I won't go to Owlerton tonight and I will go Scunny to watch Peterboro' take 'em to bits instead!

Just remember Mr. Godfrey that I am passing up the opportunity to watch Messrs. Carr, Cookie and best of all applaud one of the World Long Track Team winners, so your lads had better not go belly up without a fight!

Aaahhhh - the good old days!!! :approve: :approve:

Really? It was £7 for PL speedway in 1997. Using an online inflation calculator that converts to £9.41 in today's money.

I started watching Speedway by accident in 1965 at Swindon. Dad and I had gone to watch a monthly Stock Car meet at Abbey Stadium Swindon. We got to the car park and there were all these people in red and white scarves (knitted) with Robins on them.??? When the penny dropped we found out that the Robins were taking on Leicester Lions (Blackbird Road days ) My dad said "You wont like it, I do, I used to support Bristol Bulldogs at Knowle" How wrong he was and I have been hooked on Speedway ever since !!! That was in the days of Broady, Hitch, Briggo, etc etc. Since then my job took me all around the country and I have been to every track in the land south of the boarder. I have been in a Speedway vacuum since 1978 when I moved to Devon and have only just returned to support Somerset Rebels in the last two seasons. What changes I have witnessed ! The bikes, the riders the rules the expense of staging meetings and the expense to riders to keep one machine on the track let alone three!!! Although the yellow and black helmet colour has made a return with me!!! The main change is the crowd attendances, they used to run on a par with football crowds back in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Is it because of finances or is it because there is so much more happening to occupy peoples time and money ? Either way Speedway is suffering and will continue to suffer with tracks closing and riders emigrating to the European tracks or further afield. The Poles used to fall over each other to ride for an English club in the seventies and now it has turned full circle and they seem to fill massive stadiums week after week. I enjoy my Speedway at the Oaktree Arena and I hope it lasts as I would enjoy my Speedway at Scunthorpe and hope it would last. I just don't know how they will turn it around but another club going is another nail in the British Speedway Coffin and I hope it doesn't happen for the sake of British Speedway and the sake of Scunthorpe and all of us.

• Like 1

Following on from my last post. It does not suffice to put on a meeting of just 15 heats and run the meeting at warp speed to avoid curfews etc. In the days of the British League you had 13 heats and a second half Star of The Night Final. You need to entertain the public, you need to encourage them to come not push them out of the stadium by 9pm. I am not criticising I am merely stating a fact. It is no longer a case of "Build it and they will come "!!! Start earlier and bring in the families.

do people say 15 quid is too much because thats what its been decided, i mean if the entrance to all tracks was reduced to say 10 to 12 over all premier league tracks, over say 5 or 6 years would poeople complain about it being to high and then say its not a 10 sport its a 5er sport?some say its £50 to come each week so thats £200 a month which thinking about is hell of a lot, especially if they do footy too and most will weigh up which is more for me... ok footy/

instead of running every week couldlnt clubs run everyother week like footy? or would that make the entrance fee rise? it wouldnt work for scunny i think because its mainly full of shiff workers like myself who have to miss everyother friday unless i book a day off,

also scunny does offer value for money its just what you consider to be that.. people say put 2nd halves on,,, most of the time he does with youngsters doing 2 or 4 team matches, so youre getting extra racing for nothing yet most of the fans wont stop to see it, yet most of the posts on here or facebook moan about not seeing young uns coming through, people say i want to see racing start at 7.30 and finish by 8.30 9.00 with no delays and then moan because scunny dosnt go intervals so miss races when they go for food,i personally get there as early as possible for gates opening and try to stay untill kicking out time so for me my £15 gives me 4 hours of entertainment.

just one more thing... i was at cardiff last week and belle vue had a stall with a bike outside for people to sit on and do reaction times on it. what if rob got a practice bike out from wayne carters lock up, stick it near the pit gate and bill and bens shop for kids to sit on, even adults, people were flocking to sit on it and having photos, gave them that once in a lifetime chance to be a rider and it does cost a cent

Edited by neck brace tony
  • Like 2

Quick question,all the talk seems to be about closing and that August 31st may be the last meeting,why does Rob not put the club up for sale to see if there are any interested party's in taking over the club instead of the scorpions disappearing into the wilderness, there are constant owner changes at other clubs why is scunthorpe different.

I would hope if it came to it Rob would sell the club, but you never know. Losing the current promotion really could be a big loss, just look at the, the track prep, the club website, the excellent value café, the entertaining team of racers and the centre green announcer.

• Like 1

I would hope if it came to it Rob would sell the club, but you never know. Losing the current promotion really could be a big loss, just look at the, the track prep, the club website, the excellent value café, the entertaining team of racers and the centre green announcer.

We were up there recently, and my other half (who has no interest in speedway) was very complimentary about the homemade pie.

• Like 1

With afternoon meetings always quite well supported at Scunny why not switch the race day back to Sunday but run a bit latter at say 6pm that way track prep would be better and it might be better for those who travel along way and for kids that can't stay up late.

I am not sure how long it takes to prepare a track for premier league racing but could amateur meetings and open trainings take place earlier in the day. It might be more efficient to have everything on one day with track staff and medical cover.

• Like 1