British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Are There Better Ways To Limit Team Strength?

I think that in an ideal world, whichever team finishes with the highest combined average, that figure should be the points limit for the following season.

If you look at he latest Green Sheet figures, there is only 3.18 points between the highest ( Swindon 34.71 ) and the lowest ( Leicester 31.53 ) so you don't have a huge disparity to deal with in the first place.

Obviously, if you wanted to do away with doubling up and the Fast Track reserves, then both the Elite League and Premier League would need to lower their team building figure for a season to allow for this to happen, but that's another story!

Someone else with no grasp of averages then.

In your ideal world where would the lower order teams get the riders from?

In an ideal world the limit would be 42.5 unless the number of teams in the league changed.

The average Average is always around 42 so with a limit of 42.5 all the current riders could be accommodated somewhere. Some riders retire and new ones come along and the league can grow and prosper

With a lower limit say 39. In a 10 team league that is the equivalent of having to shed 30 points average wise. It is like getting riod of 4 10 point plus men and replacing them with 3 pointer, the strategy that has brought us to the weak league we have today

Any higher than 42.5 and there will be a lack of riders for the weak teams to strengthen

Obviously the current system changes the figures somewhat but the premise is still the same

Edited by Oldace

Hate to be a smart arse but that's actually the median, not the mean. :-)

But yes, you're right. It will always, inevitably, work out at around the 42 mark when all 7 get an average.

It would be both in this case. The median being the middle number of am ascending sequence of numbers if there are an odd amount or the mean average of the middle two values in the ascending sequence if there are an even amount.

Either way I agree, you were trying be a smart arse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either way I agree, you were trying be a smart arse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was being ironic.

• Like 1

There is a superb way to handicap Poole. Make Starman their manager.....

• Like 1

Someone else with no grasp of averages then.

In your ideal world where would the lower order teams get the riders from?

In an ideal world the limit would be 42.5 unless the number of teams in the league changed.

The average Average is always around 42 so with a limit of 42.5 all the current riders could be accommodated somewhere. Some riders retire and new ones come along and the league can grow and prosper

With a lower limit say 39. In a 10 team league that is the equivalent of having to shed 30 points average wise. It is like getting riod of 4 10 point plus men and replacing them with 3 pointer, the strategy that has brought us to the weak league we have today

Any higher than 42.5 and there will be a lack of riders for the weak teams to strengthen

Obviously the current system changes the figures somewhat but the premise is still the same

They get their riders from allowing their current riders to improve over a period of time, promoting Premier League riders, bringing in new overseas riders.

Thinking long term.

A 42 point average just promotes mediocrity.

As I said, there's only 3.18 points separating the highest averaged from the lowest averaged team on the current GSAs. Hardly a huge gulf between the two

They get their riders from allowing their current riders to improve over a period of time, promoting Premier League riders, bringing in new overseas riders.

Thinking long term.

A 42 point average just promotes mediocrity.

As I said, there's only 3.18 points separating the highest averaged from the lowest averaged team on the current GSAs. Hardly a huge gulf between the two

It is huge. At present the lowest average 1-5 rider has a 4.5 average. So if you have to find 3 points worth of rider, you're looking for a 7.5 rider - and they don't exist, if they did, Leicester or Swindon would have them now. As no doubt would Wolves.

Make the points limit too high and it does far more harm than making it too low.

It is huge. At present the lowest average 1-5 rider has a 4.5 average. So if you have to find 3 points worth of rider, you're looking for a 7.5 rider - and they don't exist, if they did, Leicester or Swindon would have them now. As no doubt would Wolves.

Make the points limit too high and it does far more harm than making it too low.

If you read my post I said "in an ideal world".

In today's current climate I would keep the points limit low in the Elite League and lower it in the Premier League to obtain more of a balance and flow of riders between the 3 leagues.

If you read my post I said "in an ideal world".

In today's current climate I would keep the points limit low in the Elite League and lower it in the Premier League to obtain more of a balance and flow of riders between the 3 leagues.

Fair enough. And in the future, when British speedway is hopefully booming the the likes of Hancock, Laguta (x2), Woffy, Pawlicki (x2) and Emil all want in, then we can raise the limit. But for now, it needs to be cautious. As it was, this years limit was slightly above break even and probably not far short of the best team from last year anyway.

Fair enough. And in the future, when British speedway is hopefully booming the the likes of Hancock, Laguta (x2), Woffy, Pawlicki (x2) and Emil all want in, then we can raise the limit. But for now, it needs to be cautious. As it was, this years limit was slightly above break even and probably not far short of the best team from last year anyway.

I have to agree :t:

I agree, as I said for these types of riders Britain would probably still be bottom of there agenda if they came back. The end goal has to be to have these types in the Elite league but until things can be drastically changed (probably mainly race nights) and agreed with stadium owners nothing will. As such the future needs to be planned accordingly without trying to tailor a league to suit these types and to produce and even and exciting league. The last thing we want is to make changes to attract these types and have the Laguta's and Miedzinski's of this world losing interest and ruining it.

Because of the way the averages has been systematically destroyed over the years, they don't serve any purpose now. They are purely fictitious figures, used when its suits. Once they were related to a riders ability, but not now. They serve no rightful purpose...

Instead, Why not grade each rider at the start of each year. A committee is set up to access their ability, base on various information, Results, Improvement, Injuries, Competition etc...etc...

Graded riders LH1= 5pts; LH2=4pts; HL3 =3pts; 2nd=2pts and FTR = 1pt. ................

Teams to have total 8 riders, but team strength = max 20 pts per meeting............

Got to be fairer than it is now..........

Because of the way the averages has been systematically destroyed over the years, they don't serve any purpose now. They are purely fictitious figures, used when its suits. Once they were related to a riders ability, but not now. They serve no rightful purpose...

Instead, Why not grade each rider at the start of each year. A committee is set up to access their ability, base on various information, Results, Improvement, Injuries, Competition etc...etc...

Graded riders LH1= 5pts; LH2=4pts; HL3 =3pts; 2nd=2pts and FTR = 1pt. ................

Teams to have total 8 riders, but team strength = max 20 pts per meeting............

Got to be fairer than it is now..........

Has merit in principle - but it does depend who is on the committee?!

Has merit in principle - but it does depend who is on the committee?!

Quite simple really.

Firstly, Have a big Committee ( they say, safety in numbers) and Secondly, Committee Members cant make decisions on their own riders.. Making it a lot fairer..

Wouldn't that be great SCB if those riders you named rode in this country, great stuff it won't ever happen though the GP series rules the roost along with Sweden/Poland i am even surprised Holder/Ward do the EL to be honest.

Rider control definitely would not work now. Ole Olsen would not strengthen Coventry even if it was to replace Robbo!!!

• Like 1