British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions Vs Peterborough Panthers ( P L) - Friday, July 10th (7.30pm)

Crowd was back to the sort of level it was a couple of years ago good following from the panthers good meeting racing got better as it went on pleased for rob with the win let's hope all those who came back come back next week

• Like 6

Up to heat 13, I didn't think this was the best meeting I had seen at Scunny by a long chalk. The racing was OK, but Peterborough - with Ostergaard, Tungate & Kus dominant - were just too good and I really didn't see anyway that the Scorpions were going to get anything out of it.

Then the whole thing exploded.

Three pulsating races - especially a screamer in heat 14 - later, and Scunny had staged a smash and grab and won. Brilliant stuff, and no wonder Mr Godfrey needed a lie down :approve::D

I will be attempting to go to about 4 of the last 6 meetings at EWR and I hope a few others will come too (the attendance tonight seemed better than when I have been before) as it would be a crying shame if - and here Mr Godfrey & I very much agree - our best racing track closes.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 9

Up to heat 13, I didn't think this was the best meeting I had seen at Scunny by a long chalk. The racing was OK, but Peterborough - with Ostergaard, Tungate & Kus dominant - were just too good and I really didn't see anyway that the Scorpions were going to get anything out of it.

Three pulsating races - especially a screamer in heat 14 - later, and Scunny had staged a smash and grab and won. Brilliant stuff, and no wonder Mr Godfrey needed a lie down :approve::D

I will be attempting to go to about 4 of the last 6 meetings at EWR and I hope a few others will come too (the attendance tonight seemed better than when I have been before) as it would be a crying shame if - and here Mr Godfrey & I very much agree - our best racing track closes.

Good summary !

Biggest crowd I've seen this season, but how many were Panthers fans ? The Peterboro supporters were out in force and must have thought they were going home with an easy win after 12 heats....... then one of the best comebacks since Lazarus. I was really pleased for Rob Godfrey who will have a much better story to tell this week in order to swell the gate for the Ipswich meeting next Friday.

• Like 1

Like previous posters have said... wasn't looking the best of meetings from a Scunny point of view...infact, I'd resigned myself to defeat...but wow, what a comeback from the Scorps.... Superb recovery, gloom lifted!... Those last three heats will live long in the memory.

Fairly dull and disappointing up and till heat 13 and then fantastic stuff...... gloom lifted indeed.

Crowd seemed up a bit, hopefully more will tempted back.

What was the guy on the centre green filming for, did rob say BBC?

Fairly dull and disappointing up and till heat 13 and then fantastic stuff...... gloom lifted indeed.

Crowd seemed up a bit, hopefully more will tempted back.

What was the guy on the centre green filming for, did rob say BBC?

I spoke to the guy, he's actually from Radio 1...he's gonna be around filming a few weeks, producing something for iplayer I believe. Think he enjoyed what he saw. :-)

Agree with just about all your sentiments there, HT.

Heat 14 was just an amazing race.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

Well it was my first time to Scunny for a couple years, i get to about 3 meetings a week, the crowd didn't look that bad ? seen a lot worse! This will be a crying shame if its not operating next season. Very well presented, would shame a lot of other PL venues!

• Like 1

f ever a guy and team needed and deserved a break ! And how they got it.

Rob Godfrey (Gail and all those others behind the scenes too) deserves a medal the size of a dustbin lid for what he has done to the EWR over the last decade, in a thankless task !

The early racing wasn't perhaps as good as usual, both teams seemingly cancelling each other out with Peterborough's guests edging the visitors ahead in the middle of the meeting.

Heat 9 typified Scunthorpe's woes this year - Alex Davies was cruising to a much needed win (for him and the team) with Wilko chasing Tungate hard for a 4-2 heat advantage that could have handed the Scorpions some momentum, before his chain went and heads and hearts sank around the whole stadium.

We have been unlucky with injuries, barely tracking a fit 1-7, this hasn't helped. We have also looked a little under power mechanically, this year compared to visiting teams - could it be argued a team not scoring doesn't get paid so well so can't maintain equipment as well as others ? We don't quite look as quick at times ?

However Heats 13,14 & 15 will live long in the memory for ALL the right reasons

There was racing, blood (likely literally given the all 4 back) sweat (on and off track on a balmy evening) and tears (of joy and elation no doubt) passion (Thomas' & Flyin' Ryan as well as Wilko & Willo fist pumping testosterone all up the home straights) and plenty of drama (breathtaking passing through the smallest of gaps) and heart stopping moments (I actually thought Rob had thrown a keeler when I saw him laid on the centre green :rofl: )

To turn a 32-40 deficit into a 47-43 win from there against ALL the odds was Boy's Own stuff

with Tungate on fire and to race twice, Ostegaard, dialled in and un-passable when in front also to race twice, and the prospect of Kus (paid 14 from 5) it looked an insurmountable task.

Nobody told the Scorpions it seems as the prodigal Dane, Thomas Jorgensen (making a timely much needed return to top the bill and show what he means to us and what we mean to him) and Ryan Douglas absolutely blew Heats 13 and 15 away in style - both of them finding gaps and speed to force themselves home to two HUGE 5-1's

Sandwiched in the middle was Heat 14, another stunner, Wilko NEVER EVER knows when he's beaten and took a fine win, what happened behind though was equally memorable, Simon Lambert & Adam Roynon were all over Ben Wilson who looked to be a little slower than both. How he defended and changed lines was a testament to the whole team really, he showed such track craft and know how as the lads roared him home. :party:

The cap to the proceedings (not least the Ryan and Thomas show in Heat 15) was the track walk that culminated in the crowd walk - a fitting and emotional end to a night that just may see the sparks of the saving of speedway in Scunthorpe !

AWESOME ! is a superlative that springs to mind

If Carlsberg did speedway !! :drink:

• Like 9

Gutted we blew this one but from what I've read if it sparks a revival in terms of saving Scunny (one of our closest rivals in terms of distance)..then I'll swap 4pts for that because I feel your pain because as a Boro fan I can't remember when we last finished a season without a threat of closing and it is not nice. I've realy enjoyed this season under our new promotion and even if we don't win anything if we end the season with no talk of things coming to an end I'll be happy..anyway back to the meeting we got a point so not a total disaster.

Edited by Lukas
  • Like 5

looks like the panthers have lost their unbeaten away run. what next , another home defeat ?

gone a bit quiet on the cats input. defeat is no disgrace, especially from scunthorpe.. well done scunny on the win....

I cannot add to Halifax Tiger's prose, he somes it up perfectly.

I did see you there last night HT, hoped to catch up but couldn't find you later.

What really cheesed me off and I am sure this must contribute to Scunthorpe's woes, the much loathed Highways Agency ensured M18 was closed on the return trip with a nice diversion around Doncaster and Armthorpe.

The journey up to Scunny was a right grueller, jams at A38 J28 M1 up to the M18, Queues at the A1 on M18, luckily I went on the bike and filtered through, but it must have been a right pain in a car, particularly if you are taking kids.

The EWR is a very neat and tidy stadium, nice food, great racing and a friendly atmosphere, it would be an absolute tragedy if it were to be lost.

It appeared to be a reasonable crowd, but not packed, more support required!

• Like 2

I cannot add to Halifax Tiger's prose, he somes it up perfectly.

I did see you there last night HT, hoped to catch up but couldn't find you later.

What really cheesed me off and I am sure this must contribute to Scunthorpe's woes, the much loathed Highways Agency ensured M18 was closed on the return trip with a nice diversion around Doncaster and Armthorpe.

The journey up to Scunny was a right grueller, jams at A38 J28 M1 up to the M18, Queues at the A1 on M18, luckily I went on the bike and filtered through, but it must have been a right pain in a car, particularly if you are taking kids.

The EWR is a very neat and tidy stadium, nice food, great racing and a friendly atmosphere, it would be an absolute tragedy if it were to be lost.

It appeared to be a reasonable crowd, but not packed, more support required!

Back straight, mate. Usually go there (unless Islander drags me into the stand) as you can't stand on my favoured third bend at Scunny.

Had that coming home from Redcar on Thursday. A1(M) closed at Wetherby and two lanes closed on the M62. Fortunately, it was neither a long diversion nor a long tail back.

EDIT: One thing is most definitely true : Mr Godfrey's boys most certainly did not go 'belly up'. :approve::D

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

looks like the panthers have lost their unbeaten away run. what next , another home defeat ?

gone a bit quiet on the cats input. defeat is no disgrace, especially from scunthorpe.. well done scunny on the win....

It was interesting watching F1 last weekend and the Ron Dennis interview. I just transposed what he said to the BSF and thought of you, so a timely post from our village idiot to start the day with a smile: "I consider F1 a family, families live in villages and there's always a village idiot." :D