British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions Vs Ipswich Witches ( P L) - Friday, July 17th (7.30pm)

The first auto tun gate incident was a strange one Roman came off gate one and ended up by the fence on turn two on what was a pretty even start for all coming together all four back nothing out of the ordinary at scunny on another night either could of been excluded by a different ref but the deliberate actions to run into another rider when well behind after the finish of a race is out of order. Have to say this probably has to be the finest display of poor refereeing I have ever seen whit the wilkinson Nielsen incident then Morris lunna I understand it's a mans sport but this went to far

• Like 2

From my view Auty didn't knock Tungate off there was minimal contact if any at all. There is serious lack of consistency when it comes to refs punishments. The ref has acknowledge Tungate deliberately knocked Auty off after the race but has deemed a £200 pound fine adequate punishment.

Paul Clarke ala Cov v Poole Sky washout!!

I've still not forgiven him for not excluding Holder in the first running of heat 7 in the 2010 play-off semi-final after he wiped out Bomber on the 1st bend. He's a terrible, terrible referee.

Surely Auty has had this coming to him? Although this is completely out of order Auty is reckless

Go home and drink lots of water👊🏽💦💦

Were you there errrrrre

As expected, a completely unbiased account form Philwhiteismad (Scunthorpe supporter)

Yep Scunthorpe supporter but I do believe my comments were unbiased don't have a problem losing but never witnessed anything like this sit ins fights good racing poor ref good beer and on a promise from the wife

Anyone able to post what actually happened in each of the incidents?

Much appreciated.

Yep Scunthorpe supporter but I do believe my comments were unbiased don't have a problem losing but never witnessed anything like this sit ins fights good racing poor ref good beer and on a promise from the wife

your on 2 minutes

Neutral Opinion

Heat 3: Wilko and Nielsen was a race incident they happen every meeting one of those decision which could of gone either way, This time it went in the Ipswich riders favour. Wilkinson kicked out at Nielsen as Nielsen passed next time round.

Heat 10: First Staging Gate 4 always an advantage at Scunny but Tungate off gate 1 got a great gate and got across to block Auty's run, Auty cut back off bend 2 wiping out Tungate, Auty should of been excluded but this time the ref called in favour of the Scorpion rider with All4back. Re-run after the race Davies and Tungate raced to the line for 2nd went a bit hot into bend 1 and 2 but had time to shut off in my opinion but didn't and rode into the side of Auty purposely in my opinion again but only Tungate knows for certain whether it was purposely done or not. (People could argue if the ref had done his job in first place and excluded Auty the incident may not have happened but no excuse for what Tungate did).

Heat 11: All 4 riders at the tapes Auty took it upon himself to stand then sit on the track to stop the race from starting. Gobby Godfrey then decided to join him followed by a handful of Scorpion fans. Till Dave Peet and Richard Hollingsworth seemed to talk some sense into them Then Auty (who supposedly had a broken arm again) Jumps the fence using said arm.

Heat 14: Race to the line for 2nd Morris and Lunna going for the line, Morris left his left out trying to stop Lunna's run, After the race Lunna's pit crew came out and jumped on Morris and all hell broke loose again.

IMO Wilkinson, Auty, Lunna and Morris should be fined for unsporting behaviour and Tungate got what he deserved a fine the max amount the ref could hand out.

• Like 5

I had a very good view of both incidents as I was part way down the back straight.

In the first running of heat 10,Tungate bolted for the outside off gate 1. He made no contact with anyone and was clearly in front. Auty was off gate 4, moved to the inside on the second bend and then turned right and wiped Tungate out.

The referee, to my total disbelief, ruled all four back.

In the re run, Scunny took a 5-1. As the race finished and the riders slowed round the second bend, Tungate ploughed into Auty and I simply don't believe it was not deliberate. Riders do collide after a race but that is rare and clearly Tungate had a motive to hit Auty. I don't believe he intended to injure him but Tungate must have known that that could be a consequence.

Tungate's actions were totally unacceptable. He should be heavily fined, subjected to a lengthy ban and should have been thrown out of the meeting.

I should say, though, that I don't have an ounce of sympathy for Auty. He did exactly the same thing to Tungate in the race and, as some have pointed out, he has big history where reckless riding is concerned.

Some are rightly blaming the referee, Peter Clarke. Had he got the first decision right and excluded Auty, the Scunny No 1 would not have a suspected broken arm and Tungate would not be facing an SCB enquiry. The decision to allow Tungate to continue to race was ridiculous.

I should say that putting this (and the punch up between Lunna and Morris) aside this was a brilliant speedway meeting, easily the best I have seen this season. The racing on a superbly prepared track was simply top draw and I doubt if FTG was mentioned in the updates.

I think Rob Godfrey's actions were a bit tongue in cheek but even if they weren't, they were entirely understandable. His team are bottom of the league and struggling for survival and he sees his returning No 1 break an arm in his first meeting back in a totally avoidable incident.

Which of us, in such circumstances, would definitely have behaved differently ?

• Like 7