British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
remembertheracers

Swindon's New Stadium

If we are going to have a new stadium can we have one with a roof, please? Then I can get my fortnightly fix of speedway without having to sit looking out of the window with no rain and no match in prospect because we might get some later!

• Like 2

I have no idea if it was the same at Reading but the local MP told me there is a legal requirement in place that the new stadium must be built. Original planning permission for the site was turned down as no stadium was included. No doubt there will be loopholes to get around it but anyone buying a house up there can see the plans which clearly show the stadium on it. The mother in law was looking. But until the building begins I won't believe anything.

i) There may be a requirement for a new stadium to be built, but if that's the requirement it doesn't stipulate that said stadium has to run speedway.

Lay turf, . . pay football, . . and the req't is satisfied.

ii) There may well be a covenant in place, but there have been many instances, after the passage of say, 5 - 10 years or so, that covenants have been changed / revoked.

If we are going to have a new stadium can we have one with a roof, please? Then I can get my fortnightly fix of speedway without having to sit looking out of the window with no rain and no match in prospect because we might get some later!

perhaps they could source some huge plastic sheeting to act as a roof..it is annoying when we had decent weather last Thursday. I think some people lose interest if there isn't weekly racing, others probably couldn't afford a weekly speedway fix, and like football and rugby attend fortnightly. Forecast wrong yet again...and would have been on if Sky were present.

• Like 1

That's all everyone wanted to know Mr Russell!

So two new tracks next year, great 😀

If it all goes to plan it will be fantastic, but seeing is still believing.

If it all goes to plan it will be fantastic, but seeing is still believing.

And we all know that we can trust Mr Russell's words.......................Don't we? :D

So does that mean there won't be a farewell meeting because of lack of car parking?

Better not make the playoff final then?

• Like 1

I'd have thought that getting to the play-off final is a decent farewell meeting anyway!?

In the quoted newspaper link quoted in #79, Mr Russell says

“I don’t know why people have to be so negative about it. “Their business is to know that we are shutting this stadium at the end of this year and we are moving into the new one for next

“It is all systems go and we have had many meetings about the fence and the diameter of the track and everything else and it is all positive.”

“There has been a lot of work going on behind the scenes between myself and the stadium owners and the planners, so we are in the picture.”

So there is a message for all the worrying fans - its not for them to know more then the old stadium closes and new one opens next year.

How do you all feel about that?

ps Phone interrupted my initial posting, hence come back and finished now.

Edited by OveFundinFan

Good to hear some positive news so let's hope next season we have two new stadiums to help take the sport into the 21st century.

I don't think it is realistic to compare it with Belle Vue or Leicester. Swindon are going to be tenants so not really in the same position as Belle Vue to have the same level of involvement and influence on the progress of the construction and Leicester was a much smaller project.

I know there will be a logical answer to this but why didn't they just build the houses where the new stadium is going and then leave the track as it is and just knock the stadium down around it and build a new stadium around the old track because swindons track is generally ok! I realise I'm proberly being thick but seems simpler to me

I know there will be a logical answer to this but why didn't they just build the houses where the new stadium is going and then leave the track as it is and just knock the stadium down around it and build a new stadium around the old track because swindons track is generally ok! I realise I'm proberly being thick but seems simpler to me

The new track will run at 45 degrees to the existing track to accomodate houses, car parks etc.