British Speedway Forum
crescent girl

Berwick V Sheffield - August 15th

I was on the backstraight and I thought Josh caught one of the deep ruts coming out the corner on turn 2 which threw him off line and into Liam but would have to see a replay to confirm that. I noticed there was a lot of track work going on in that area while Liam was being attended to, to smooth that part of the track out.

There has been a bit of drive right in the centre of the track on the 2nd bend for as long as i can remember, he probably caught it, when you have committed no where else to go than towards the fence, so many over the last 15 years have fell foul of it. I didn't see any deep ruts in the track, and certainly none in heat 2. If I have a comment on the track it seemed very loose in parts and without experience of that older type of track set up, younger inexperienced riders will struggle, as they did.

• Like 1

I was on the backstraight and I thought Josh caught one of the deep ruts coming out the corner on turn 2 which threw him off line and into Liam but would have to see a replay to confirm that. I noticed there was a lot of track work going on in that area while Liam was being attended to, to smooth that part of the track out.

No deep ruts. No ruts at all, in fact. Referee marked track "excellent" and sent report to Control Bureau calling it a good, grippy track -- his actual words. I'll go with the referee -- the guy who disqualified Master Bates.

There has been a bit of drive right in the centre of the track on the 2nd bend for as long as i can remember, he probably caught it, when you have committed no where else to go than towards the fence, so many over the last 15 years have fell foul of it. I didn't see any deep ruts in the track, and certainly none in heat 2. If I have a comment on the track it seemed very loose in parts and without experience of that older type of track set up, younger inexperienced riders will struggle, as they did.

The ruts were there, which is why I noticed it so early in the meeting, the grader then got rid of them after the crash. I spoke to a couple of the riders after the meeting and they said the track was loose, but that was down to some new shale on the track.

Got to say the Berwick track is a hell of a lot better than a few years ago when it looked a real roller coaster ride and Doolans pass on Cook was fantastic.

Edited by Tigerite

The ruts where there, which is why I noticed it so early in the meeting, the grader then got rid of them after the crash. I spoke to a couple of the riders after the meeting and they said the track was loose, but that was down to some new shale on the track.

As a Berwick fan I have beefed on about track prep for a long time, as many on here will confirm. The track on Saturday was prepared like a track would have been about 15 years ago, I know what a rut is, those wern't ruts, just a loosly prepared track because of new shale, as confirmed by Kevin Doolan when interviewed with a lot of grip in places. It was a track you had to take it easy on to begin with and buld on it as your confidence increased, problem is younger riders don't have that experience.

Michal was a hard rider, I never thought he was a dangerous rider, young Mr Bates doesnt seem to have control of his machine at times

Dam phone lol

I had a perfect view of the move, and ruts - or drive coming out of 2nd bend - had nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

Nothing to do with track just an idiotic move by Bates

• Like 5

I was commentating that some Berwick fans were saying that the Josh Bates/Liam Carr incident was the worse thing they'ed ever seen in speedway and he should have been kicked out of the meeting, when there have clearly been other similar/worse incidents in the past where no punishment has been dished out.

I saw a far worse incident at Edinburgh earlier in the season with Sam Masters and Lasse Bjerre and nothing happened there either.

Must admit I didn't enjoy watching Josh Bates last Saturday as he didn't seem to have full control of his bike, maybe part of it was down to the track, maybe it wasn't. He was certainly rightly excluded for bringing down Carr, whether that shouldve lead to him being thrown out of the meeting I would doubt.

Must admit I didn't enjoy watching Josh Bates last Saturday as he didn't seem to have full control of his bike, maybe part of it was down to the track, maybe it wasn't. He was certainly rightly excluded for bringing down Carr, whether that shouldve lead to him being thrown out of the meeting I would doubt.

Agree with this, Josh struggled with the track but wasn't on his own, Bellego and Klindt were abysmal.

No deep ruts. No ruts at all, in fact. Referee marked track "excellent" and sent report to Control Bureau calling it a good, grippy track -- his actual words. I'll go with the referee -- the guy who disqualified Master Bates.

So you wouldn't mark the track down as very rough.

Agree with this, Josh struggled with the track but wasn't on his own, Bellego and Klindt were abysmal.

BUT Bellego and Klindt wasn't attacking the track so much so that they wasn't in control, unlike Bates and Garrity, who were a danger as it showed to other riders on the track with them

I wasn't at the meeting could anyone with a side on view of the Carr / Bates incident describe what happened please.

Who lent on who, if they did?

Who was Infront?

Was it a pass that went wrong?

Just want people's view before I get the DVD on Thursday.

Hope Liam's Ok

Edited by EIS002

Yes it was Zetterstrom who fenced Christian Henry, who had a chunk taken off his backside. Stuart Wilson was the ref, top man for doing the exclusion/ban.

Im sure Grieves also issued a bit of punishment on Zetterstrom!

I was shocked at how bad the two of them were. I was expecting David especially to revel in those conditions. Last season there was times when he was really quick. First time I've seen him this season, couldn't believe how poor he was. Klindt turned out to be the match winner in heat 14 after doing nothing before this.