British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Well surely he could get sponsorship from other countries that do show GP and other speedway meetings he races in ie Poland-Sweden

It does seem strange, but he lost a lot of money when that Polish club didnt pay him, and now he married and by the sound of it has a small boy (think he mentioned him in one of his interviews on Saturday night)

You would think so, but he did say that his operation & recuperation cost him a lot of money even though Red Bull did help him out with the costs

I watched all three and all had the same unacceptable bias. What's your point?

Point is people complain that it only happens on temp tracks (presumably just another dig at BSI)

I watched all three and all had the same unacceptable bias. What's your point?

R1- R2 B7 W5 Y9

R2- R6 B4 W7 Y4

R3- R12 B2 W6 Y2

So really only Kumla had 1 overwhelming gate

Niamh

Edited by Niamh
  • Like 1

R1- R2 B7 W5 Y9

R2- R6 B4 W7 Y4

R3- R12 B2 W6 Y2

So really only Kumla had 1 overwhelming gate

Niamh

The "three" mentioned were Cardiff, Horsens and Kulma. Last year the German track (that had a pairs meeting this year) was also terribly biased but it was still a great meeting.

Ah you see SCB, I agree with you and don't think think because there is a gate bias it means it can't be a good meeting. I think it's a shame and a bit unfair on those that draw the worse gate twice but there can still be great racing.
I was just pointing out it's not just down it being a temp track that there are massively favored gate positions.

Info from the riders last year suggested that a season cost for an SGP rider was around 300000 euros. This included everything, including Elit and Ekstra maybe even Elite.

Thats a lot of money, but not really if you are in the top 15 of a world wide sport. Like Emil is.

• Like 1

He is probably my favourite rider, but tai is a notch ahead.

The euros don't pay better than the gp, and surely red bulls sponsorship would increase if he were world champ.

Very sad that he is being advised against or coerced not to enter the series

I think Emil over five gates does not usually have a blip where Tai does i still think there is not much between Tai, Emil. Darcy.The only difference is Tai will more and likely be a double world champion but in his era he needs to beat Emil/ Ward when they are fully fit/ and entered i am not that sure he would do. Edited by sidney

Nor am I sidney but I'd love to see him try :t: .

Info from the riders last year suggested that a season cost for an SGP rider was around 300000 euros. This included everything, including Elit and Ekstra maybe even Elite.

Thats a lot of money, but not really if you are in the top 15 of a world wide sport. Like Emil is.

A lot of money I agree. But how much of that is "incremental" gp spend? Someone like Emil is already spending on world class bikes, has a full time agent and presumably mechanic. Surely the cost of doing 8 extra meetings can't be more than say 40k (if u assume of the 300k maybe 50% fixed 50% variable, assume 50 mtgs a season would be an "incremental" cost of 3k per meeting, which even if you double it would mean 50k extra to do GPS)
  • Like 1

A lot of money I agree. But how much of that is "incremental" gp spend? Someone like Emil is already spending on world class bikes, has a full time agent and presumably mechanic. Surely the cost of doing 8 extra meetings can't be more than say 40k (if u assume of the 300k maybe 50% fixed 50% variable, assume 50 mtgs a season would be an "incremental" cost of 3k per meeting, which even if you double it would mean 50k extra to do GPS)

When I went on thinking about my post afterwards, i figured...

- 100k for 6 complete bikes + spares. This is with top bits and PJR engines, GP stuff

- 50k for a van and some diesel

- 150k for other stuff and travel.

In 2012 I attended a season afterparty for Timo Lahti that was for his sponsors. He said he had spent 120k during that year. Now with him being based in FINLAND, he rode in the Elite, Sweden, Finland, Poland and Denmark + GP qualis (he went all the way to the Challenge) and few other meetings around. Think he must have done about 70 meetings + about a dozen track days on top of that. Think it was 95k km on his van for the year, divide that with half so his van cost for the season was around 50k in euros.

ALSO WORTH noting, that the said Timo Lahti survived from 2012 with atleast 3 complete bikes, top of the line van and a heap of spares...

• Like 1

Such a shame i think all the effort in the world should be made to get him in the series.But I can understand his reasons though,if he entered for me he is a certain winner it would be CRIMINAL if he never won a world title GREAT rider.

If he entered for me he is a certain winner it would be CRIMINAL if he never won a world title GREAT rider.

Just think of all those "Greatest rider never to win a World title" threads in 20 or 30 years time!

The difference is all the other riders proberly tried to win it,Emil not entering is something he will surely regret in time to come

• Like 1