British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Speedway Satr Interview With Dave Swanton

Rather than dwell on the Alex Harkness interview i thought i would highlight the item in this weeks Star with Sale Sharks head of Media Dave Swanton.

Dave at least comes up with some ideas about improving Speedway and dragging it into the 21st century , some ideas may take money to be invested other,s just hard work, an interesting interview nonetheless.

• Like 1

Rather than dwell on the Alex Harkness interview i thought i would highlight the item in this weeks Star with Sale Sharks head of Media Dave Swanton.

Dave at least comes up with some ideas about improving Speedway and dragging it into the 21st century , some ideas may take money to be invested other,s just hard work, an interesting interview nonetheless.

Who is Alex Harkness?

Who is Alex Harkness?

Sorry my fault Harkess.....to tell the truth i was in two minds wether to write this topic in view of recent events, kind of put me off Speedway really.

Thought it was a good article.

Interesting to read Dave Swanton's opinions, and he is of course entitled to his opinion,but mostly he doesn't know what he is talking about. He suggests getting big screens, saying screens can be hired nowadays, they have the big screen at horse race meetings and it is definitely not cheap, cannot see tracks being able to afford this and where would it be situated so as not to block someones view. He mentions the whiff of methanol is fabulous, I have not smelt the whiff of methanol for many years now. He says he would not allow anyone to race in this country if they are not attached to a club here, how does that help British speedway, another daft idea. He says Peter Karlsson flies in and out of UK on race days so he can be with his family, and to Swanton that's not fair on the supporters, he has no affiliation to the fans. I mean what does Swanton think, if Karlsson stayed in this country would all the fans visit him at his house, what a daft thing to say.

Personally I think speedway could benefit from listening to the views of more people from outside the sport. After all, the sport is trying to attract new fans. Maybe some of the ideas may be above speedway at the moment, but these are people who know what they are talking about. Nothing wrong with the idea of a big screen, look at the number of times in meetings where you get a collision and you want to get a second look at who was to blame, or want to see a replay of a great race. Yes it is expensive, but for big meetings it could attract more fans. And maybe Peter Karlsson was a bad example given his allegiance to Wolverhampton, but there are certainly enough foreign riders who teams in this country have wasted money on in the past who picked up the money and didn't care. Speedway should listen to as many views as possible to try and get out of the present situation. But I have a horrible feeling it will stick it's head in the sand again.

• Like 5

Interesting to read Dave Swanton's opinions, and he is of course entitled to his opinion,but mostly he doesn't know what he is talking about. He suggests getting big screens, saying screens can be hired nowadays, they have the big screen at horse race meetings and it is definitely not cheap, cannot see tracks being able to afford this and where would it be situated so as not to block someones view. He mentions the whiff of methanol is fabulous, I have not smelt the whiff of methanol for many years now. He says he would not allow anyone to race in this country if they are not attached to a club here, how does that help British speedway, another daft idea. He says Peter Karlsson flies in and out of UK on race days so he can be with his family, and to Swanton that's not fair on the supporters, he has no affiliation to the fans. I mean what does Swanton think, if Karlsson stayed in this country would all the fans visit him at his house, what a daft thing to say.

Got to agree with your points.When I read how a guy who hasn't been to a speedway meeting in 30 years chooses to criticise Peter Karlsson,a foreign rider who has hardly missed a fixture in over 20 years, his opinions lost all credibility..

• Like 2

Interesting to read Dave Swanton's opinions, and he is of course entitled to his opinion,but mostly he doesn't know what he is talking about.

I didn't think what he said was all daft, although he's coming from the perspective of a sport that's much better able to leverage good television and sponsorship revenues. He also does identify part of the issue that riders and fans have little attachment to each other these days, although his proposed solution is obviously unworkable as things currently stand.

With respect to the large screen, there's so few fans on the terraces these days that I doubt it would block the view of anymore.

From what I read, attendances at Birmingham have been impressive this season. Perhaps an indication that supporters do have a bond with a full 7 man team of young British riders, rather than a mix of forgettable EU riders, guests and rider replacement...

This will be the same Sale Sharks that posted losses of £1.5m in 13/14 and required wealthy owner Brian Kennedy to write of £12m worth of loans to keep the club as a going concern.

Next week - Fred West gives gardening tips...

• Like 6

From what I read, attendances at Birmingham have been impressive this season. Perhaps an indication that supporters do have a bond with a full 7 man team of young British riders, rather than a mix of forgettable EU riders, guests and rider replacement...

Or maybe regular fortnightly speedway....

I often think we have too much speedway in the UK. If you miss this week it doesn't matter, go next week. Or if you're a Coventry fans next week, if you miss Minday just go Wednesday and if you can't make that then go Friday!

Regular fortnightly racing would be ok...as some people especially families cant afford to go every week. Ridiculous situation at The Abbey in June, only 1 home meeting, and an empty stadium on some warm sunny Thursdays.

How did we ever manage 30 meetings a year, eh? Yes, times have moved on but you don't see other sports slashing the lengths of their seasons.

If the product's value for money there wouldn't be a problem. It seems many are hell-bent on reducing our schedule down to that of other countries on the delusion that somehow that will make our leagues as strong.

The gaps in the season give people ample chance to find other things to do on racenights.

Do people really want a 7-10 match home season? If so, do they actually like speedway?

• Like 4

If the product's value for money there wouldn't be a problem. It seems many are hell-bent on reducing our schedule down to that of other countries on the delusion that somehow that will make our leagues as strong.

Well it's because people believe it'll allow the British leagues to fit around the likes of the SGP and SEC - competitions that don't benefit Britain in any way, and with riders that Britain can't afford.

• Like 1

How did we ever manage 30 meetings a year, eh? Yes, times have moved on but you don't see other sports slashing the lengths of their seasons.

The gaps in the season give people ample chance to find other things to do on racenights.

Do people really want a 7-10 match home season? If so, do they actually like speedway?

Because the riders didn't also ride in Sweden and Poland. Plus the GPs. Times move on, we can defiantly stand here and refuse to back down because we had a league first and must be obeyed or we can move on and do what it takes to make us handle the changes and come out stronger.