British Speedway Forum
thebaron

Falubaz Zielona Gora Speedway

Sadly it has taken Darcys injury to really bring home to me how Speedway in Poland is on a different planet to UK Speedway. I have been looking over the net for information about the club Fabulaz ZG and its fans. Have a look; its mental.

Is there anything there that we can learn from and use here. I suggest there most definitely is. #GETWELLDARCY

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 1

Sadly it has taken Darcys injury to really bring home to me how Speedway in Poland is on a different planet to UK Speedway. I have been looking over the net for information about the club Fabulaz ZG and its fans. Have a look; its mental.

Is there anything there that we can learn from and use here. I suggest there most definitely is. #GETWELLDARCY

What some of the fans have done at the hospital is brilliant. Great to see them coming together

However if you read the articles from Poland, the group of his own teams fans shouting "hope it's end of career" whilst he lay in the track should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 1

What some of the fans have done at the hospital is brilliant. Great to see them coming together

However if you read the articles from Poland, the group of his own teams fans shouting "hope it's end of career" whilst he lay in the track should be ashamed of themselves.

Whatever they were saying disgusted the rest of the singing section who walked out of that section and into the other who were all supporting Darcy throughout the meeting. Out of over 7k fans there were only about 20 who were left singing against him but the majority love Darcy and supported him all the way through.

Whatever they were saying disgusted the rest of the singing section who walked out of that section and into the other who were all supporting Darcy throughout the meeting. Out of over 7k fans there were only about 20 who were left singing against him but the majority love Darcy and supported him all the way through.

For balance it has to be said Darcy was not given a warm welcome in ZG when he arrived

• Like 2

Just to say we would be moved on by the Police here for disturbing the peace if chanting outside a hospital but of course I totally understand the Polish fans' actions.

But that's by and by, the main thing is that Darcy knows he has total support and good wishes from fans, if the strength of support made him better he'd be back racing tomorrow.

There were the banners at the Stadium telling him to F#ck off when he first went there, they are very passionate in Poland, that's for sure! Bit too tribal for my liking though...

• Like 4

Just to say; that my point was not to in anyway countenance any inappropriate behaviour of the FZG fans; but to highlight the marked difference between the levels of support shown on and off the track for their team. AND all the merchandising and the promoting of the this team to and by their fans; even got their own TV Channel!. I have watched a lot of German football down the years and you could have fooled me if the FZG were not a football crowd ? and of course they do have a football section attached to the club. Maybe that's part of the answer to make the speedway club more central to the community and introducing more aspects to it than just the speedway itself. Make it more of a culture ?

While I agree that the scenes outside Ward`s hospital have been unbelievable, and hopefully Ward will have heard that support, I also remember seeing photo`s of Falubaz fans a few weeks ago jumping the fence onto the track while a race was on, just to try to get at the flags of that days opposition.

• Like 5

While I agree that the scenes outside Ward`s hospital have been unbelievable, and hopefully Ward will have heard that support, I also remember seeing photo`s of Falubaz fans a few weeks ago jumping the fence onto the track while a race was on, just to try to get at the flags of that days opposition.

Yes thats right now I think of it; so on that count thats one aspect of FZG that is unwelcome. Of course theyre a miniority I am sure.

Just to say; that my point was not to in anyway countenance any inappropriate behaviour of the FZG fans; but to highlight the marked difference between the levels of support shown on and off the track for their team. AND all the merchandising and the promoting of the this team to and by their fans; even got their own TV Channel!. I have watched a lot of German football down the years and you could have fooled me if the FZG were not a football crowd ? and of course they do have a football section attached to the club. Maybe that's part of the answer to make the speedway club more central to the community and introducing more aspects to it than just the speedway itself. Make it more of a culture ?

On the tribal side of things, it should be noted that all else being equal no two tribes are more at war than the fans of Falubaz and those of Stal Gorzów. However the support from the Gorzów fans shown to Darcy has been fantastic. I was in the stadium when the news broke about Lee Richardson which led to all the fans chanting his name and I was there on Saturday when they chanted Darcys name. Polish fans do club together over the "bigger things".

On the matter of diversity into other areas, Stal Gorzów also run basketball and handball teams and they run the city's Sport Academy which teaches young kids football and other sports from a young age. But you have to remember that speedway clubs have really good working relationships with their local authorities. The city's invest in speedway and the speedway clubs invest in the community. Can anyone honestly see that kind of arrangement happening in Britain?

On the tribal side of things, it should be noted that all else being equal no two tribes are more at war than the fans of Falubaz and those of Stal Gorzów. However the support from the Gorzów fans shown to Darcy has been fantastic. I was in the stadium when the news broke about Lee Richardson which led to all the fans chanting his name and I was there on Saturday when they chanted Darcys name. Polish fans do club together over the "bigger things".

On the matter of diversity into other areas, Stal Gorzów also run basketball and handball teams and they run the city's Sport Academy which teaches young kids football and other sports from a young age. But you have to remember that speedway clubs have really good working relationships with their local authorities. The city's invest in speedway and the speedway clubs invest in the community. Can anyone honestly see that kind of arrangement happening in Britain?

SADLY no

SADLY no

Of course if clubs were set up as in Poland ...... sadly they are not, no more than football clubs are. Don't forget that Buster Chapman did help to set up a Speedway In Education course with a local school (not 100% sure how it worked) but if that isn't working with the community I dunno what is. The will would be there if the finances were perhaps. As usual Phil has a downer in British Speedway .... tell me how BSI Speedway help the local community Phil?

Edited by Trees

Don't forget that Buster Chapman did help to set up a Speedway In Education course with a local school...

That wasn't Poultec, was it?

.... tell me how BSI Speedway help the local community Phil?

Yes but BSI are an international business not a local Social Service. Edited by uk martin

That is how sports clubs are generally run in Germany.HSV in Hamburg also run Handball and even Dancing I think among a numer of sports.Local rivals St.Pauli also have a very good Rugby section for both men and women.Bayer Leverkusen also have a big athletics section and one of their club embers won a gold at the World Athletics championship yesterday.Think both Gorzów and Zielona Gora were up until the end of WW2 a part of Germany,so maybe that tradition comes from the German sporting clubs.Wroclaw was also up til the end of the war part of Germany and the German national side even played a few home games in the city