British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

The Lions have got PL written all over them next year. I don't think their fans are EL snobs and if anything crowds would go up. Really the only difference now is a top liner instead of a 3 point newbie, after that EL & PL are very similar.

The Lions have got PL written all over them next year. I don't think their fans are EL snobs and if anything crowds would go up. Really the only difference now is a top liner instead of a 3 point newbie, after that EL & PL are very similar.

Leicester has had no luck with the teams they have assembled since being in the EL but for me most of that is the clubs own problem Belle Vue Swindon Kings Lynn and Lakseide was all Saturday night clubs but all soon realised years ago if you want to put together a better team you can't race Saturday nights so really Leicester only have there selfs to blame for sticking with Saturday nights and having weak team .
  • Like 3

It's really not that hard to understand.

Race Saturday in the EL and have poor team. Alternative, stay in EL, but change your race night.

Go back to PL and keep Saturday nights.

With the team Leicester are currently putting out they will not win a meeting home or away, they simply aren't good enough.

When I held a student card it ran the course of the academic year. It had a start and end date. Don't they have them anymore??

They do! Mine has an expiry date and has the name of the university on it.

Nightshirt The biggest problem the Lions are going to face this season is staying operating as I understand that they are loosing around £3-4000 a meeting due to crowds dropping off due to the poor performances. The club can not continue many more weeks like that especially as still got to pay riders for the away meetings out of your home match revenue as if your loosing money at home the away has to come out of own savings.

Leicester has had no luck with the teams they have assembled since being in the EL but for me most of that is the clubs own problem Belle Vue Swindon Kings Lynn and Lakseide was all Saturday night clubs but all soon realised years ago if you want to put together a better team you can't race Saturday nights so really Leicester only have there selfs to blame for sticking with Saturday nights and having weak team .

Spot on sadly as normal people always blame the sport or what league there in when a club does bad ...but most of time is because the club has been run poorly ..this is a classic example . you can't ride at a weekend in the El it's as simple as that. They should have changed there race night and the fans would have soon got used to to it and if you put out a better side the crowds in time will get better

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Surely Walasek has found some form now and Ulamek is over his 'wrist injury', so can't they be re-signed?!

It seems that people here are blaming Leicester for the situation, the real blame lies with the governing body which allows Polish Speedway to do exactly what it wants. I agree that Leicester could probably have a better choice of riders if they ran on another night. Meanwhile I'd forget about Polish Speedway, allow all uk riders to ride in both leagues and if any Poles want to ride here next year it should be under OUR terms.

It seems that people here are blaming Leicester for the situation, the real blame lies with the governing body which allows Polish Speedway to do exactly what it wants. I agree that Leicester could probably have a better choice of riders if they ran on another night. Meanwhile I'd forget about Polish Speedway, allow all uk riders to ride in both leagues and if any Poles want to ride here next year it should be under OUR terms.

I agree, but do you really think thats going to happen. Riders like Magic are crowd drawers.

• Like 1

No the main problem is Leicester riding home matches on Saturdays, which means they are seriously hampered by the availability of riders wanting to ride in the EL who are involved with GP,s and FIM meetings etc.

If they rode midweek the situation would improve, providing of course Leicester pay the appropriate rates.

Poles being recalled by their Polish Club has been a problem for years but until riders put two fingers up to these clubs nothing will change although the problem isn't as common as it once was.

If Hemsley was as bright as people say he would have realised this years ago, Saturday nights are for PL only.

Nightshirt The biggest problem the Lions are going to face this season is staying operating as I understand that they are loosing around £3-4000 a meeting due to crowds dropping off due to the poor performances. The club can not continue many more weeks like that especially as still got to pay riders for the away meetings out of your home match revenue as if your loosing money at home the away has to come out of own savings.

I understand that. The whole situation at Leicester can only be put down to one thing I'm afraid.

The people who make the decisions have made the wrong ones. I think anyone with a modicum of business acumen would have realised that running on a Saturday in the EL was not a viable option.

No the main problem is Leicester riding home matches on Saturdays, which means they are seriously hampered by the availability of riders wanting to ride in the EL who are involved with GP,s and FIM meetings etc.

If they rode midweek the situation would improve, providing of course Leicester pay the appropriate rates.

Poles being recalled by their Polish Club has been a problem for years but until riders put two fingers up to these clubs nothing will change although the problem isn't as common as it once was.

If Hemsley was as bright as people say he would have realised this years ago, Saturday nights are for PL only.

And clashes with GP's. He does really need to start looking at midweek fixtures. Its not as though they are sharing there stadium with anything like most other EL clubs do.

Edited by Starman2006

id rather see them in the national league and making some money than close down

I agree. From what I have seen and heard its a much better product than the Elite League.

I agree, but do you really think thats going to happen. Riders like Magic are crowd drawers.

He doesn't ride here.