British Speedway Forum
Speedball

King's Lynn 2016

The Kerr Situation is one of the prices Clubs pay for having so many riders doubling up/down/sideways. Promotions want cheap Speedway. All Boils down to a rider ( whoever) will ride where he wants to ride and being under contract ( ?) to any Club is worthless. I wonder what would have happened if Buster had said to Kerr you are a Lynn asset, so we have first call on your services and If you want to ride Premier League as well, then find a club that fits in with us ?

• Like 1

the KL track has been altered if my memory serves me right the bends widened in the 70s

You are correct - and made it a great track to race on. Mike Lee was awesome and when they held the World cup final there his inside pass of Bruce Penhall around turns 3 & 4 was one of the best I have ever seen. You might ask why widening the bends helped a pass on the inside? the answer is that the alterations also delivered wider entrances and exits which meant a dive from out wide helped his drive out - even then he stuck his front wheel well over the white line.

• Like 1

Speedway is the only sport I can recall where you get penalized for doing well, ie. You win the league, the next season the team gets torn apart because the riders averages are too high.

Yep, that's why poor old Poole get torn apart every year and , why Belle Vue are nailed in for the wooden spoon after last years successful team have been "torn apart"

What a load of old tosh.

• Like 3

Yep, that's why poor old Poole get torn apart every year and , why Belle Vue are nailed in for the wooden spoon after last years successful team have been "torn apart"

What a load of old tosh.

How is it a load of old tosh?

What he said is 100% correct.

Just because Poole manage to build successful teams most years doesn't detract from the fact they have to rebuild season after season.

I'm not advocating not having a pts limit, but what start fox says in the snippet you have posted is correct.

• Like 1

He said speedway is the only sport you get penalised for doing well. Thats not the case and it has been well canvassed on this forum that other sports have to adjust team strengths when they are successful particularly in the USA

Secondly to say they are "torn apart" is typical of the exagerration that is now common place on thsi forum. Belle Vue have managed to keep pretty much the same line up as last year particularly in their top three, plus they have kept Fricke and added their own asset , Worral. Poole have lost Darcy thorugh injury, nothing to do with the points limit, they have kept Holder and Watt and added Hans who is arguably the best second heatleader in the country and would fit in plenty of teams as No1. They have lost North and added Buckowski. They have lost Magic who has apparently chosen not to ride in the UK for reasons unconnected with the points limit. That hardly adds up to being penalised. They are already favourites on paper in many peoples estimation.and without the points limit they would be even further ahead. Both Poole and Belle Vue have shown that by careful and astute planning the nucleus of a good team can be retained.

The teams that have been most "torn apart" are Kings Lynn and Leicester. They lost Neils who chose to leave, apparently Posing who they seemingly don't want back, Bjerre who for whatever reason seems not to be going back, and Kerr because of changing their race night. None of that was anything to do with the points limit. Leicester have a massive hole where Doyle was but his departure has absolutely nothing to do with the points limit.

Coventry lost Anderson who chose to leave for reasons of his own, nothing to do with the points limit, and they lost Kylmakorpi who also left of his own choice.

When you stand back and look at the merry-go-round of riders the teams that are "penalised" and "torn apart" are those that punish themselves, the successful ones are those who are astute at managing team strength.

In most professional team sports it is accepted that there has to be a balancing of team strengths to some degree in order to provide reasonably close competition. In many sports that balancing is done by leagues in which the weak teams go down and the strong ones come up.. Speedway unfortunately doesn't have that luxury so we have a points limit. Years ago we had the rider control committee but whatever method you use it means having some sort of leveller to retain spectator interest. No system is perfect but to talk in terms of teams being "penalised" and "torn apart" is a rampant exaggeration.

• Like 1

BSPA should take a long look at the sport get rid of this EDR scheme as its a complete joke in its self, none of the riders benefit from it.

Absolutely untrue.

Garrity, Newman, Kerr, Steve Worrall have improved PL performances whilst on the draft list.

Sarjeant couldn't even get a PL team place in 2014 but was a success for Glasgow and Coventry in 2015 as a direct result of being on the list. The likes of Bates has also progressed in the PL, with being on the draft list also.

The complete joke is allowing the PL to use rubbish foreigners in reserve and also the NL allowing foreigners on dual passports to compete in a league meant to promote BRITISH riders.

The PL has finally woken up to giving the next generation a chance at number 7,not before time.

The EL ahead of the game on that one. Even if it's cost cutting as well.

If that's the case then it's the PL thats cost cutting too.

• Like 2

On my lunch break so having to rush these thoughts down.

Premier League promoters have been equally culpable as those in the Elite League in employing poor foreign riders to the detriment of British riders. Probably hoping to uncover the next Hans Nielsen but 9 times out of 10 getting a Simon Nielsen instead. I do accept that there is a lack of riders of quality British riders available and like that the EDR scheme is trying to tackle this.

However. in my mind, the FTR/EDR scheme should have been implemented in the Premier League first not the Elite League. From what I understand the Premier League promoters were not willing to do so. To my mind there should be a clear progression from National League to Premier League and then onto Elite League. If you are good enough i.e. a Robert Lambert then of course you can make the jump up but for most, it should be about gradual progression.

Riders such as Kerr, Garrity and Newman have undoubtedly progressed but on the main they are racing against riders they are facing in the PL. Riders like those should be taking the Number 7 positions and riders such as Rose, Clegg etc continue their progression in the Premier League. The Elite League shouldn't be full of 4 or 5 point PL riders, the riders moving up should be of Premier League heat leader standard.

Premier League teams should start the season with two British reserves, one of which should be under 21. Each EL team having to include a minimum of two or three British riders and at least one under the age of 23.

As I said at the start, this is my quick thoughts so not had chance to work through figures/ages of current EDR riders etc so sure this will get plenty of holes picked in it. My overall point is that until all leagues start pulling in the same direction and giving British riders a clear progression path, we'll never solve the problem with 2/3 year sticking plasters.

Sweden and Poland seem to manage to be able to bring on young talent without having to go through such complicated and controversial procedures.

• Like 1

What a load of old tosh.

Belle Vue haven't been "torn apart" because they finished FOURTH (just) in the regular season, not FIRST like Poole!! :t:

You are correct - and made it a great track to race on. Mike Lee was awesome and when they held the World cup final there his inside pass of Bruce Penhall around turns 3 & 4 was one of the best I have ever seen. You might ask why widening the bends helped a pass on the inside? the answer is that the alterations also delivered wider entrances and exits which meant a dive from out wide helped his drive out - even then he stuck his front wheel well over the white line.

SORRY to be pedantic but when was the World Cup Final held at King's Lynn?

On my lunch break so having to rush these thoughts down.

Premier League promoters have been equally culpable as those in the Elite League in employing poor foreign riders to the detriment of British riders. Probably hoping to uncover the next Hans Nielsen but 9 times out of 10 getting a Simon Nielsen instead. I do accept that there is a lack of riders of quality British riders available and like that the EDR scheme is trying to tackle this.

However. in my mind, the FTR/EDR scheme should have been implemented in the Premier League first not the Elite League. From what I understand the Premier League promoters were not willing to do so. To my mind there should be a clear progression from National League to Premier League and then onto Elite League. If you are good enough i.e. a Robert Lambert then of course you can make the jump up but for most, it should be about gradual progression.

Riders such as Kerr, Garrity and Newman have undoubtedly progressed but on the main they are racing against riders they are facing in the PL. Riders like those should be taking the Number 7 positions and riders such as Rose, Clegg etc continue their progression in the Premier League. The Elite League shouldn't be full of 4 or 5 point PL riders, the riders moving up should be of Premier League heat leader standard.

Premier League teams should start the season with two British reserves, one of which should be under 21. Each EL team having to include a minimum of two or three British riders and at least one under the age of 23.

As I said at the start, this is my quick thoughts so not had chance to work through figures/ages of current EDR riders etc so sure this will get plenty of holes picked in it. My overall point is that until all leagues start pulling in the same direction and giving British riders a clear progression path, we'll never solve the problem with 2/3 year sticking plasters.

Sweden and Poland seem to manage to be able to bring on young talent without having to go through such complicated and controversial procedures.

NOT sure you can say that of Sweden right now

As the fixtures are published tomorrow, will Lynn and Leicester be allowed facilities for any fixture clashes with their future signings? If so guests or r/r?

Genuine question

Absolutely untrue.

Garrity, Newman, Kerr, Steve Worrall have improved PL performances whilst on the draft list.

Sarjeant couldn't even get a PL team place in 2014 but was a success for Glasgow and Coventry in 2015 as a direct result of being on the list. The likes of Bates has also progressed in the PL, with being on the draft list also.

The complete joke is allowing the PL to use rubbish foreigners in reserve and also the NL allowing foreigners on dual passports to compete in a league meant to promote BRITISH riders.

The PL has finally woken up to giving the next generation a chance at number 7,not before time.

While I can't deny it hasn't helped the likes of Kerr,garrity etc I think they would have improved anyway Robert Lambert certainly has.

As the fixtures are published tomorrow, will Lynn and Leicester be allowed facilities for any fixture clashes with their future signings? If so guests or r/r?

Genuine question

Doesn`t matter when riders are signed as long as it`s before the start of the season and accepted by the BSPA- they will get the same facilities as any other teams 1 to 7

Absolutely untrue.

Presumably your NL remark was aimed in the direction of Bradley Wilson Dean? Rule has now changed around that this year, but to be honest he was a great addition to the league, but it 's all a matter of opinion.

Presumably your NL remark was aimed in the direction of Bradley Wilson Dean? Rule has now changed around that this year, but to be honest he was a great addition to the league, but it 's all a matter of opinion.

I was referring as much to Spiller but yes also.

Great addition yes. Place to further progression? Absolutely not.

Doesn`t matter when riders are signed as long as it`s before the start of the season and accepted by the BSPA- they will get the same facilities as any other teams 1 to 7

Ta muchly. :lol: