British Speedway Forum
Speedball

King's Lynn 2016

The rounder and wider, the better I'd say. Shorter straights would certainly help improve the racing.

Probably a circular track would be to you liking ??

Very much so. Tracks like Somerset, Peterborough, Scunthorpe, Plymouth & Mildenhall are all fairly circular and provide excellent racing.

I don't understand why some are saying the Kings Lynn track needs changing or re-shaping.

The track has been excellent for years and it's only in the last couple of seasons that some are saying the racing has been worse.

I'd imagine that's down to track prep/surface/quality of shale and not the shape which has given exceptional racing over the recent years.

• Like 2

Surprised nobody has mentioned the changes to machines/engines/silencers etc that have occurred over several years which have required many riders to request safer, smoother tracks with minimal grip?!

BTW its not only KL that has changed.

Was just about to raise that Skidder, you beat me to it by seconds.

Stevebrum, I'm not saying the shape NEEDS changing, just that it would certainly help. In my mind, probably in conjunction with the machinery issues of recent years, the long straights at Lynn mean riders quickly get spread out and the shale used doesn't help either. Several issues coming together have meant far less entertaining racing, in fact I'd say 2011 was the last time we had regular good racing and overtaking.

Very much so. Tracks like Somerset, Peterborough, Scunthorpe, Plymouth & Mildenhall are all fairly circular and provide excellent racing.

The shape alone doesn't guarantee good racing. I have been to most of those tracks (except Plymouth) and have seen ordinary racing as well. I have visited Peterborough many times, and have seen some wonderful meetings, but I've seen some crap ones as well. equally as bad as those at Lynn.

Regardless of peoples opinions on what shape and size of track they prefer, the most important aspect to good racing is the way the tracks are prepared and the material used to perfect them..... It is of my opinion, that if time, effort and money was put into the preparation, then most tracks will produce quality racing.......

Agree that you get poor meetings at all tracks but I bet over the last three or four years the proportion of bad meetings at those tracks is lower than at Lynn. I agree that the surface is vital, several people on here argue that the dirt used at Lynn now doesn't help matters and I think whatever is used now is both cheaper and better for stock cars. I don't think the shale used at Lynn is going to change so perhaps a widening and therefore shortening of the circuit would help the racing, I can't imagine it would do any harm to trhe standard of the stocks and bangers either.

One thing is for sure, if people are to continue forking out the best part of twenty quid to watch speedway at Lynn (or anywhere) it needs to be entertaining.

• Like 1

The best racing I've seen is at Peterborough and Somerset. Consistently good if not excellent racing.

Swindon used to provide superb racing but probably like at Lynn, the standard has dipped a little in recent years. Monmore seems to be the most consistent nowadays.

Have been to Plymouth several times and although it is the smallest track I've seen, the racing has been brilliant.

The best racing I've seen is at Peterborough and Somerset. Consistently good if not excellent racing.

Swindon used to provide superb racing but probably like at Lynn, the standard has dipped a little in recent years. Monmore seems to be the most consistent nowadays.

Have been to Plymouth several times and although it is the smallest track I've seen, the racing has been brilliant.

I think, as has been mentioned previously, the advancements and increase in speed has not helped the racing at certain tracks. Swindon being a good example. Still a good race track but as the machines have got quicker....the straights are now too long to provide the kind of racing we used to see.

• Like 1

Was just about to raise that Skidder, you beat me to it by seconds.

Stevebrum, I'm not saying the shape NEEDS changing, just that it would certainly help. In my mind, probably in conjunction with the machinery issues of recent years, the long straights at Lynn mean riders quickly get spread out and the shale used doesn't help either. Several issues coming together have meant far less entertaining racing, in fact I'd say 2011 was the last time we had regular good racing and overtaking.

To be honest I should have included machinery and bikes as part of the problem.

Even at Monmore the quality of racing has dipped slightly in recent years due in part to machinery and engine power.

However as ER said that in comparison to a lot of other tracks it's way more consistent than a lot of other tracks.

Totally agree, my two favorite tracks for racing quality. I have also enjoyed many excellent meetings at Kings Lynn over the years. Last year I only went to two meetings at Lynn and at both the racing was very poor but I think that was just due to conditions on the day.

Totally agree, my two favorite tracks for racing quality. I have also enjoyed many excellent meetings at Kings Lynn over the years. Last year I only went to two meetings at Lynn and at both the racing was very poor but I think that was just due to conditions on the day.

What you should do Simon is invest in having your own track again then you can have it set up exactly how you want it. ;)

Is the quality of racing / entertainment to do with the tracks of the gulf in difference between certain teams? There is never going to be much of a spectacle when Lakeside visit Kings Lynn whatever the track shape / surface.

do you remember the old Mildenhall track, next to no straights at all .. if that track was around now the racing would be just like Peterborough or Somerset.

when KL were Premier League everyone seemed to hate going there, I know KL had good teams, but the opposition were on the whole beaten before a wheel was turned.

now, and this is my opinion, the track is the wrong shape for the speed of the bikes, something doesn't quite click .. as been mentioned, to me, shorter straights and wide bends are how tracks should be for the current bikes.

I love speedway on bigger tracks though, that's what it's all about for me, not silly trick tracks like Lakeside, I even prefer the old Poole track from the 80's to the one there now, and when the racing at KL is good, it's usually VERY good, same as Peterborough and Somerset, great tracks

• Like 1