British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Poole Vs The Aces For The Title

Speedway is odd. It's the only sport you can "cheat" or "break rules" and STILL gain. As we have all said, had Newman been excluded thats 2 less for Poole and 2 more for BV. But even if the SCB find he did break the rules, it's 2 less for Poole. So Poole still gain 2 points from "breaking the rules". How the hell is that fair? It basically says, "cheat, if we miss it and take points away later you have still gained". In any serious sport you'd have the points removed, all riders would have positions increased AND you'd be punished for cheating in some way - depending on the severity it'd be anything from a few race points deduced to a few match points deducted.

Please note people, I'm talking generally. Not just this case here.

The problem is that had the ref spotted it kyle would have gone off 15m and therefore still in with a shout of getting points. As I said earlier had any exclusion meant poole were down to 1 rider then clearly you can see that leaving the 5-1 in place would be unfair.

With all 4 riders in the heat any result is technically possible so how can the SCB make a judgement on what the result would have been?

I agree that BV will see that as unfair but the ref messed this up as did the SCB by not dealing with it before the 2nd leg

If I was in the Belle Vue camp (and I would have preferred them to win) I would be embarrassed mumping about the goggles. It's not as if it gave him an advantage.

They had the advantage of a TR at home but the truth is if they had all performed at their best, Belle Vue would have won. Poole's top five this year is not a vintage quintet.

• Like 1

News just coming in that this apparently isn't the first time we have had a "GOGGLEGATE" issue in the sport......it really is shocking. Absolutely shocking. I think I will make a protest to the SCB right now.

And a strongly worded letter to the Times.

http://t.co/gFVGde26UA

Edited by PiratesPiratesPirates
  • Like 1

Speedway is odd. It's the only sport you can "cheat" or "break rules" and STILL gain. As we have all said, had Newman been excluded thats 2 less for Poole and 2 more for BV. But even if the SCB find he did break the rules, it's 2 less for Poole. So Poole still gain 2 points from "breaking the rules". How the hell is that fair? It basically says, "cheat, if we miss it and take points away later you have still gained". In any serious sport you'd have the points removed, all riders would have positions increased AND you'd be punished for cheating in some way - depending on the severity it'd be anything from a few race points deduced to a few match points deducted.

In football, a player 'dives' in the penalty area and gains a penalty from which his team scores the winning goal. If after post-match official protest and intense media coverage, the FA decide to take action, then the penalty against the player is usually a retrospective fine or booking BUT the score/result is not changed! Also if it is believed the referee should have seen the 'dive', then the ref can also be penalised by being suspended from the refs rota for a while.

So lets not paint speedway as some sort of special case!!

Edited by Skidder1

If I was in the Belle Vue camp (and I would have preferred them to win) I would be embarrassed mumping about the goggles. It's not as if it gave him an advantage.

They had the advantage of a TR at home but the truth is if they had all performed at their best, Belle Vue would have won. Poole's top five this year is not a vintage quintet.

I am sure that if the goggles incident had been the other way round then Poole would have also lodged an appeal ,

At the end of the day , the rule was broken and has it's consequences.

I must admit I did not know that rule existed...

If the appeal is upheld it will put Speedway in an embarrassing position of the new score will be 90 - 90 ..... so what do we do now ???????

If Poole had not conceded a 5- 1 in heat 15 then it would not have mattered anyway

This sort of thing goes on in all sports. It's all part and parcel of it. My advice is that you stop watching all types of sport if you are so offended by this. The whole saga just adds to the drama. Get over it.

Starting from the gate offers more of an advantage than starting 15m back. In my opinion.

I wouldn't refer to it as a cheat.

It was in clear breach of the rules and I doubt anyone would argue that if the referee had noticed it during or, immediately after the race, he would have disqualified Newman and deducted his points. I have seen it happen when a rider raced without a dirt deflector.

Robert Lambert rode without a dirt deflector and got noticed after the race he was deducted his points.Surely if the ref was told before Newmans race the least he could have done was to look at the footage after the race and then exclude him,or is that too simple.Referee totally at fault in my book.

Why do people also compare speedway to football totally different ball game :D.

In a lot of motorsports if you infringe on the rules you actually receive penalty points,which puts you further back in the field or lose podium positions.

Edited by tellboy
  • Like 1

Poole would not necessarily have won ...... you can't say that at all .....

I worked it out by deducting Kennetts score from the aggregate total over 2 legs.

If it had rained and the track conditions and less heats could have put the Bees through.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

And they should be publicly flogged, and then have all their assets frozen, made bankrupt, sh*t upon from very high and then thrown in the debters prison indefinitely, or at least until Matt Ford goes down on his knees crying in shame that he has put together another crap team and also Nigel " WHOOOOOOAAH" Pearson comes out with a decent joke so Kelvin "WHOOOOAAAAAH ME TOO" Tatum can genuinely laugh at for once.

All sounds boll**#s doesn't it....mmmmmm.....hey ho onto 2016 and another title.😴

Edited by PiratesPiratesPirates
  • Like 1

Or just sweep it under the carpet. Coincidently the same carpet the fans leaving the sport wipe their feet on on the way out.

Can anyone come up with a fair retrospective penalty for this situation? Taking into account that all 4 riders would have been involved albeit one off 15 metres?

What can the SCB do? My own view is that a fine for Newman and a change to the rulebook is pretty much all they can do.

The problem is Newman didn't suck it up and start 15m back. He instead choose to ride with illegal kit. One of the last riders to do that was Kennett with his silencer or Lambert with his dirt deflector and both had their race points deducted.

• Like 1

I worked it out by deducting Kennetts score from the aggregate total over 2 legs.

If it had rained and the track conditions and less heats could have put the Bees through.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

There is more to it than just scores though, every race that he was in would have been different ....

The problem is Newman didn't suck it up and start 15m back. He instead choose to ride with illegal kit. One of the last riders to do that was Kennett with his silencer or Lambert with his dirt deflector and both had their race points deducted.

The difference being of course is that had the officials been aware of Kennett and Lamberts illegal equipment I assume they would have been barred from riding and therefore have no chance of earning points. In addition you could claim that these two cases they were clearly getting an advantage through their illegal set up.

Had the officials been aware of the lack of goggles they would have sent kyle back to the pits and he would have missed the 2 mins and been off 15m therefore still having the chance to win points.

You can't compare those situations.

• Like 1