British Speedway Forum

• 1 in 6 pensioners (1.8 million or 16% of pensioners in the UK) live in poverty, defined as 60% of median income after housing costs

Pensioners are also the biggest group of people on the brink of poverty with 1.2 million on the edge

• Like 1

• 1 in 6 pensioners (1.8 million or 16% of pensioners in the UK) live in poverty, defined as 60% of median income after housing costs
  • Pensioners are also the biggest group of people on the brink of poverty with 1.2 million on the edge

Don't tell SCB that, he thinks every pensioner is swimming in money. Not that it affects him... Alledgedly..

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

Statman i am 66 and find it hard to find the money to go to speedway .Thanks for fighting our corner .About time we brought back National service that will teach them.

Edited by Paulsmith

Don't tell SCB that, he thinks every pensioner is swimming in money. Not that it affects him... Alledgedly..

So you say you don't give a monkeys what the stats say when SCB posted them,but when Blupanther posted some stats you liked you chose to believe them.Odd that :shock:

• Like 2

So you say you don't give a monkeys what the stats say when SCB posted them,but when Blupanther posted some stats you liked you chose to believe them.Odd that :shock:

I don't need stats mate, what i say is fact. and what Bluepanther says is fact.

Edited by Starman2006

• Pensioners are also the biggest group of people on the brink of poverty with 1.2 million on the edge

It can't be true. SCB has got all the facts to prove it. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

It can't be true. SCB has got all the facts to prove it. :rolleyes:

Think he's been living in Wales to long... The fresh air, or is that the smell of cows must be getting to him.. :rofl:

• Like 2

This is one point where the poor pensioner arguement falls down - low interest rates.

You hear that their income is down from a few thousand to a few hundred on their savings.

Work it out and you realise how silly the 'poor' arguement is.

If its £4000 @4% down to £500 @0.5% then that poor pensioner has £100,000 tucked away!!

That is as may be but speaking from the experience of sorting out my mother's finances when my father passed away I can assure you my mother and many other elderly people I know do not have that sort of money tucked away.................

Its a popular misconception that the majority of pensioners are well off...........there are some that have loads tucked away.............there are a fair few living in poverty...................there are those who are stuck in the middle fearing that they will have to sell their homes to cover fees if they have to go into care.................and there are those who are plodding along and are managing but do not have the amount of disposable income that people think they have...................

RP

• Like 2

No, what you say is your opinion Starman. Not fact!
  • Like 2

What Bluepanther says is fact your right but we are talking about a group of people as a whole. If you just want to point at OAPs that are in poverty to prove a discount is needed then I can say the same for families too. 3million children in poverty. It is undeniable that disposable income between retired and working people is getting smaller the ONS and IFS will not be wrong about that.

To be honest I wouldn't mind if there was a small £2 discount for OAPs as there is still a gap but in a few years?

• 1 in 6 pensioners (1.8 million or 16% of pensioners in the UK) live in poverty

so aim promoting to the other 5

• Like 3

To be honest I wouldn't mind if there was a small £2 discount for OAPs as there is still a gap but in a few years?

No mate, it needs to be done NOW..

No, what you say is your opinion Starman. Not fact!

Spot on lisa-colette.........he seems to think everything on his planet is beyond question.

• Like 1

Yeh, spelling has never been my best point, but lets not let that get in the way of an argument..

Of course not as you're very good at arguing. You wouldn't get involved in half as many disagreements if you just answered straight forward questions and stopped saying things are fact when it's just your opinion. Having an opinion doesn't actually make it factual but hey ho carry on as you obviously enjoy arguments even if you end up looking a bit silly.

.......Blupanther.......
  • Pensioners are also the biggest group of people on the brink of poverty with 1.2 million on the edge.

Which means that 5 out of 6 are managing okay. That's a pretty good percentage and it depends if those 16% are still finding the money to smoke and drink whilst cutting back on other things.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1