British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BWitcher

Matt Ford - One Of The Greats?

Charles Ochiltree must rank as the number one of all time brilliant promoter

Is this the same Charles Ochiltree who sold the old Leicester speedway stadium for housing without telling the promoter Martin Rogers, who only knew when he saw it in the papers

Surely Arthur Elvin who was the promoter at Wembley was the most successful ever

Yep agreed. Average crowd at Poole was 800 before he came and now it's 2000. Maybe a bit higher in the Summer.

They weren't very high the season Poole struggled & showed how a winning team brings fans along with it.

Swindon's crowd picked up when Darcy joined & if the big names come back would that pay their extra wages is the question.

Are the other promotions to scared too risk it in the hope that crowds improve or is the money simply not their.

Poole obviously have the advantage of being in an area where people have more disposable income and don't have as many sporting clubs around. Coventry for example has so many sports teams and that cant help crowd numbers.

Try being from Manchester! The sporting capital of Europe if not the World.

Try being from Manchester! The sporting capital of Europe if not the World.

Feels similar in Coventry but on a smaller scale with some of our sporting clubs. Manchester does have a much larger population than Coventry also.

You cant deny what Matt Ford does for Poole is excellent work no matter what factors are involved

Charlie Knott - Southampton Speedway. He wasn't a 'one trick pony' - he did so much more. He brought Speedway, Ice Hockey and other entetainment facilities to Southampton. Are there roads named after Matt Ford in Poole? There is a Charles Knott Gardens in Southampton ;-)

Charlie Knott - Southampton Speedway. He wasn't a 'one trick pony' - he did so much more. He brought Speedway, Ice Hockey and other entetainment facilities to Southampton. Are there roads named after Matt Ford in Poole? There is a Charles Knott Gardens in Southampton ;-)

I don't that there are, I just had a search for Fiddlers Rd, & Bandits Place but couldn't find them in the Poole area. :D

Edited by Dave Jones
  • Like 2

Is this the same Charles Ochiltree who sold the old Leicester speedway stadium for housing without telling the promoter Martin Rogers, who only knew when he saw it in the papersSurely Arthur Elvin who was the promoter at Wembley was the most successful ever

No that was Midland sports stadiums it was not his decision .I think someone called Sanderson was majority share holder
  • Like 1

Speedway has IMO necessary rules to stop teams running away with it (look at the example of Scottish Football and Rangers / Celtic). As long as Poole are within these parameters Matt Ford HAS to be an excellent asset to Poole. I'd also say British Speedway. Given the amount of clubs struggling, having these teams generating interest can only be of benefit to speedway as a whole.

• Like 1

ford doesnt want strong competition he needs poole to win every home match to keep the fans happy

cuz he knows the fans are fickle - start loseing and the fans start to dwindle away ......

So just like all fans in all sports then. Nothing particular to Poole or Ford.

I could really write a book, and im sure that Matt could. Matt Ford deserves all the credit and praise he gets for all the success he has brought to Poole Speedway. He works extreamly hard for that success. Matt is also a thourghly nice bloke who also supports several charities in the Poole area.
And we also have a superb Team Manager in Neil Middleditch. Both Matt and Neil bleed Blue and White. But the success story doesn't end there, we have a superb bunch of backroom staff, a wonderful bunch of Volunteers, and a wonderful bunch of sponsors who also play a huge part in the clubs success.
The club is geared to success and driven to win, and that will not be relenting, anytime soon... ;)

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

I could really write a book, and im sure that Matt could. Matt Ford deserves all the credit and praise he gets for all the success he has brought to Poole Speedway. He works extreamly hard for that success. Matt is also a thourghly nice bloke who also supports several charities in the Poole area.

And we also have a superb Team Manager in Neil Middleditch. Both Matt and Neil bleed Blue and White. But the success story doesn't end there, we have a superb bunch of backroom staff, a wonderful bunch of Volunteers, and a wonderful bunch of sponsors who also play a huge part in the clubs success.

The club is geared to success and driven to win, and that will not be relenting, anytime soon... ;)

Brought a tear to my eye. I think Matt should have that printed out and hand a copy to every supporter at the first match next season. Well done Starman,obviously a sincere and deserving tribute. It will mean so much more to the management coming from such an erudite supporter. The only thing I could add is that I am sure that Matt and Middlo are also kind to animals and elderly people. Edited by Aces51
  • Like 3

Sick Bucket anyone.

• Like 2

I'm a firm believer that those British clubs that are financially solid enough - and it may only be 3 or 4 - should form the Sky Super League, with a small fixture list and able to attract the top riders..

Those same clubs plus all the others can then also choose to operate a weaker (cheaper?) team in what would be the equivalent of PL+ and/or NL level, which could be regionalised depending on the number of teams.

The sport should not continue to operate and be strangled by the lowest common denominator every year.

Brought a tear to my eye. I think Matt should have that printed out and hand a copy to every supporter at the first match next season. Well done Starman,obviously a sincere and deserving tribute. It will mean so much more to the management coming from such an erudite supporter. The only thing I could add is that I am sure that Matt and Middlo are also kind to animals and elderly people.

Most Poole supporters - and many promoters if they were honest enough to admit it - don't need it printed out!! We know it to be true. :t::D

• Like 2